Burglar Dies in Chimney After Owner Starts Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: silveravant
Death for stealing seems pretty harsh.

Any thief should realize that that is a possible outcome.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
Originally Posted By: qwerty1234
I disagree. A thief has rights like any citizen. The homeowner does not have the right to be "judge, juror, and executioner." Two wrong don't make a right.

So what's your answer? Offer him coffee and donuts?

I doubt that you don't know the answer -- call the cops and have him arrested instead of roasting him to death.

There is a reason that we do not have only one sentence -- capital punishment. There is something called "proportionality" that some refuse to acknowledge, unless it is their own situation (i.e. lack of empathy).

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
I disagree. A thief has rights like any citizen. The homeowner does not have the right to be "judge, juror, and executioner." Two wrong don't make a right.

I doubt that you don't know the answer -- call the cops and have him arrested instead of roasting him to death.

There's no way I'd roast a failed burglar stuck in my chimney either, especially if it was a kid. He obviously isn't a danger to me in a chimney... I'd get the shotgun, call the cops, and then have my sandwich while I wait.

Maybe I am missing something, but I fail to see where he was "executed". If the homeowner didn't know he was there it can hardly be called an execution. I suppose at your home you look up into the chimney to check for burglars before you light a fire ? And if you find one, I am sure you would invite him to stay for dinner ?

So a thief that enters my house unannounced and uninvited has more rights than I do?
My response was based on the previous poster's defense focused on the rights of the thug.
If a thief comes in my home and threatens my family, he's gonna get his bleep wore out.
If he sashays his rump up my fireplace and I am unaware of it , I'm gonna deal with my chill with a warm, toasty fire.
If I'm aware of it, I call a cop.
I contemplate actions based on what rational people do. Rational people do not climb up chimneys (unless, of course, you believe in Santa.)

You call the police and let them deal with it...no proof this guy was even a burgler...he may have been there to visit the guys wife for all we know, or may have been an accomplice of the real burgler....no reason the build a fire when it's 78F outside other than to execute the chimney man

There is a reason that we do not have only one sentence -- capital punishment. There is something called "proportionality" that some refuse to acknowledge, unless it is their own situation (i.e. lack of empathy).

You seem to miss the point.
If someone crawls up a chimney in either a residential home or a commercial business, they might die. It could be from being burned to death or by asphyxiation.
Just like if someone falls off the top of a 40 story building, they might die by rapid deceleration into the sidewalk or pavement.
That is why prudent people do not crawl up chimneys and make every effort not to fall off the top of 40 story buildings.
If the thug would have been conducting himself in a law abiding manner, he probably would not have been in the chimney. He could have potentially died regardless of whether or not the homeowner started the fire.
Death for stealing is a potential outcome for a thief. He could have been shot by the homeowner or a responding police officer depending on his actions.

Being stuck in a chimney is a different outcome, however.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream

You call the police and let them deal with it...no proof this guy was even a burgler...he may have been there to visit the guys wife for all we know, or may have been an accomplice of the real burgler....no reason the build a fire when it's 78F outside other than to execute the chimney man

Read post # 3935280, where I said that if I am aware of a thug in my chimney, I call a cop.
No proof he was a burglar, LOL!
When you go to visit someone's wife, always use the chimney. I'll avoid that helpful tip, thanks.
In regards to being an accomplice, IMO, not much difference between a Thug and a Thug's helper.
I didn't thoroughly vet the story before commenting on it. I simply commented on the subject "RE: Burglar Dies in Chimney After Owner Starts Fire."
IF this individual would have chosen to be a law-abiding citizen and stay in his own home, he probably would still be alive today. While this is a sad situation, he made the choice that put him in harm's way. Personal responsibility still counts for something.

Originally Posted By: PR1955
Maybe I am missing something, but I fail to see where he was "executed". If the homeowner didn't know he was there it can hardly be called an execution. I suppose at your home you look up into the chimney to check for burglars before you light a fire ? And if you find one, I am sure you would invite him to stay for dinner ?

Just thinking before I go to work this morning I need to carefully check the trunk (or under the hood on the SUV) in case a criminal accidentally locked himself in there.

Going to be 90+ degrees today, and I'd hate to be labelled judge, jury, and executioner because someone backed to death in my trunk and I didn't notice.

How long before someone says the home owner should be brought up on charges? Maybe it was already brought up?

Last edited:

Where did this 78 degrees come from? Accuweather shows 57/37F on that day.
http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/fresno-ca/93702/november-weather/327144

You bleeding hearts will come up with anything to try and blame the person who wasn't committing a crime and absolve the criminal of responsibility. I re-posted a meme the other day on FB. Something to the effect: "The World has become so backwards, during the zombie apocalypse there will be zombie rights activists!" I believe it.

Originally Posted By: hatt

Where did this 78 degrees come from? Accuweather shows 57/37F on that day.
http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/fresno-ca/93702/november-weather/327144

You bleeding hearts will come up with anything to try and blame the person who wasn't committing a crime and absolve the criminal of responsibility. I re-posted a meme the other day on FB. Something to the effect: "The World has become so backwards, during the zombie apocalypse there will be zombie rights activists!" I believe it.

That's why I made my previous post...right is wrong and wrong is right these days...it's the same in all of the "black killed by white cop" threads...there are always people who side with the thugs...that tells me they are thugs themselves...

Last edited:
I disagree. A thief has rights like any citizen.

Yeah a couple of firelighters and a match in this case. LOL He got what he deserved and wont be robbing any more houses, good riddance.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
There's no way I'd roast a failed burglar stuck in my chimney either, especially if it was a kid. He obviously isn't a danger to me in a chimney... I'd get the shotgun, call the cops, and then have my sandwich while I wait.

It's unfortunate this accident happened, and probably effected the homeowner pretty badly. Better outcome for all would have been discovering him stuck, call the cops and he goes to jail after the fire department extracts him.

Guess it was this burger's unlucky day.

Originally Posted By: Al

Well..you are again wrong.
In most states (including your own..lol) the home-owner does have the right of Judge, jury, and executioner. I have every right in Pa. to use lethal force if a thief breaks into my home. I don't have to make a judgment as to whether he did it to rob me, hut me, or just admire one of my rooms. Its called the "Castle Doctrine"

Yes..I am in Pa (and in Illinois)...Judge, Jury, and Executioner (If I so choose).

From your other posts I know you are big on following the letter of the law. I intend to do that also should circumstances arise...BLM or WLM not withstanding.

I absolutely agree! In one of the states I reside in they are VERY liberal with the castle doctrine. As long as that thief is facing me and not running out the door I consider that a immediate threat to my safety and I will eliminate the threat with deadly force. If the bullets enter him from anything approaching the front of the body the DA here will NOT prosecute the homeowner. As a plus we get rid of troublesome criminals without all the cost to the taxpayer.

As an aside I think in the decade to come you will see the massive rearming of the civilian population as well. It won't be the wild west but I believe that many (nearly a majority) people will be armed while out during their daily activities whether CCW or open carry, as always an armed society is a polite society. The US has become a tower of babel and because of that there is little cohesiveness as you would have found in many western nations just a few decades ago, this almost makes it mandatory since civil society is breaking down as we knew it. You're not going to like hearing this but I think the US will look like any other third world nation in the next few decades except we will still be able to defend ourselves from packs of criminals.

Last edited:

While roasting some marshmallows over a toasty fire? Sounds good to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back