.357 and .38 ammo deceptively close in size?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ANDERSON CO., TN, 11/24/13: An Anderson County man accidentally shot himself in the hand Sunday night when he tried to force the wrong caliber of ammunition into his pistol. Carlie Indmon Phillips, 45, sustained the wound Sunday night at a home on Hillbilly Way and was taken to Methodist Medical Center for treatment of an injury to his left index finger, according to an Anderson County Sheriff’s Department report. Phillips had been called to his sister’s nearby home by his sister, who thought she had seen a prowler on the property. He grabbed his .357 Magnum revolver and went to her house but had no ammunition for the gun. His sister gave him .38 caliber ammo, and when he tried to force the round into the weapon by tapping it with his pocketknife, the round went off, striking him in the hand.

Story sounds wrong...if she handed him 38 special, it should have dropped in as easily as throwing a frankfurter down your hallway...

The .357 is just a longer version...can't chamber .357 in .38, but can the other way around.

My guess is that the reporter mixed up the calibers. 38 SPC can be fired in a 357 revolver but not the other way around.

38 Special is shorter so it fits in a 357 mag chamber effortlessly. Sometimes if you shoot a ton of 38 specials there is buildup in the chambers and you can have trouble stuffing the longer 357 rounds in without a cleaning.

This story makes no sense as its written.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Is it possible that maybe the ammo given to him was something like 38 Super?

This is my thought as well. A .38 can be used in a .357 just not the other way around. They are both .357 in diameter, the magnum case is a bit longer thus why it wont fit in a .38 gun.

Originally Posted By: Tosh
ANDERSON CO., TN, 11/24/13: An Anderson County man accidentally shot himself in the hand Sunday night when he tried to force the wrong caliber of ammunition into his pistol. Carlie Indmon Phillips, 45, sustained the wound Sunday night at a home on Hillbilly Way and was taken to Methodist Medical Center for treatment of an injury to his left index finger, according to an Anderson County Sheriff’s Department report. Phillips had been called to his sister’s nearby home by his sister, who thought she had seen a prowler on the property. He grabbed his .357 Magnum revolver and went to her house but had no ammunition for the gun. His sister gave him .38 caliber ammo, and when he tried to force the round into the weapon by tapping it with his pocketknife, the round went off, striking him in the hand.

"grabbed his empty .357"? Might as well have grabbed a brick. A empty weapon for personal defense will get you killed.

when he tried to force the round into the weapon by tapping it with his pocketknife, the round went off, striking him in the hand.

With his pocketknife?

Yeah, right.

There is a beef farm a few miles away from me. A certain powerful odor rolls across the road from that farm. This story makes me think of that odor.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Is it possible that maybe the ammo given to him was something like 38 Super?

.38 super is .384 neck OD and .357 / .38 is .379 so I don't think it would begin to fit, but if you're talking trying to hammer a round in who knows. The story doesn't make sense either.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
when he tried to force the round into the weapon by tapping it with his pocketknife, the round went off, striking him in the hand.

With his pocketknife?

Yeah, right.

There is a beef farm a few miles away from me. A certain powerful odor rolls across the road from that farm. This story makes me think of that odor.
Originally Posted By: Chris142
This is a joke. Empty gun in Tennessee? Hillbilly way? LoL

LOL. Right on both counts!

This reminds me of someone in the military who was fiddling with an M2 .50cal (12.7 x 99mm) and was using a .50 round to do something. Subject subsequently decided he needed more force so a hammer was brought in, as in hammer against the primer. The round detonated promptly.

The results were very graphic.

You never "force" a round into a gun. This guy was probably too dumb to be handling a firearm in the first place.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I found the article, its a real article. Either the reporter miixed up the calibers, or the gun was really dirty.

Some more-likely possibilities:
1) reporter is clueless and believes the miscreant's (impossible) story,
2) small-town reporter is not anxious to raise hackles around town, so goes long with the miscreant's (impossible) story.
3) miscreant is related to somebody important in town, so eyes are discreetly averted and questions are not asked.

I have seen an old .38 special derringer that would chamber and fire 357 loads. My father had it and did this several times, loud, big ball of fire and pretty stout recoil.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
3) miscreant is related to somebody important in town, so eyes are discreetly averted and questions are not asked.

I like this one the best! Bonus points for "miscreant."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back