why you need semi-auto and large capacity mags

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/woman-hiding-kids-shoots-intruder/nTm7s/

LOGANVILLE, Ga. —

A woman hiding in her attic with children shot an intruder multiple times before fleeing to safety Friday.

The incident happened at a home on Henderson Ridge Lane in Loganville around 1 p.m. The woman was working in an upstairs office when she spotted a strange man outside a window, according to Walton County Sheriff Joe Chapman. He said she took her 9-year-old twins to a crawlspace before the man broke in using a crowbar.

But the man eventually found the family.

"The perpetrator opens that door. Of course, at that time he's staring at her, her two children and a .38 revolver," Chapman told Channel 2’s Kerry Kavanaugh.

The woman then shot him five times, but he survived, Chapman said. He said the woman ran out of bullets but threatened to shoot the intruder if he moved.

"She's standing over him, and she realizes she's fired all six rounds. And the guy's telling her to quit shooting," Chapman said.

The woman ran to a neighbor's home with her children. The intruder attempted to flee in his car but crashed into a wooded area and collapsed in a nearby driveway, Chapman said.

Deputies arrested 32-year-old Atlanta resident Paul Slater in connection with the crime. Chapman said they found him on the ground saying, "Help me. I'm close to dying." Slater was taken to Gwinnett Medical Center for treatment. Chapman said Slater was shot in the face and neck.

In February, Slater was arrested on simple battery charges, according to the Gwinnett County Sheriff's Office. He has been arrested six other times in the county since 2008.

Kavanaugh was the first reporter at the scene as deputies investigated. The victim's husband told Kavanaugh he's proud of his wife. He was on the phone with her as the intruder broke in.

"My wife is a hero. She protected her kids. She did what she was supposed to do as responsible, prepared gun owner," Donnie Herman said.

He said he's thankful for his family's safety.

"Her life is saved, and her kids' life is saved, and that's all I'd like to say," Herman said.

Channel 2’s Amy Napier Viteri learned from Chapman late Friday night that slater has been placed on a ventilator and suffers from punctured lungs, a punctured liver and a punctured stomach.

He said if Slater survives the night, doctors will try to operate in the morning to repair the damage.

Chapman said Slater has four exit wounds.

Slater is currently being charged with burglary.

What if this career criminal realized that she was out of ammo? What if she missed him a couple more times? She and her kids might be dead.

She was very lucky.

I hope she goes out and gets a firearm with more capacity after this incident. Maybe an AR15 with 30 rounds.

Last edited:
I agree,
Hit probability goes up exponentially with a carbine/rifle.

Plus if the guy never made it out of the house alive the Tax payers in Atlanta wouldn't be paying several hundred thousand dollars to take care of that piece of trash so that he can get well enough to go to court.

They have a huge legal battle before them. This dirt-bag will probably lawyer up and sue for all they are worth.

Don't high-capacity mags have a higher probability of jamming?

Rifles are bigger and less maneuverable, which are liabilities in close quarters.

Revolvers carry little ammo but are very reliable. Surely reliability counts for a lot when it comes to self-defense.

Too bad she didn't put one of those rounds in his skull. Would have made for an open and shut case. At least she and the kids are alive and safe. Dialing 911 wouldn't have saved them.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Revolvers carry little ammo but are very reliable. Surely reliability counts for a lot when it comes to self-defense.

Exactly, though pistols aren't exactly unreliable either.

Anyone who uses a carbine rifle for home defence though obviously isn't thinking about where rounds will end up as they freely penetrate drywall and the fact that the length of the rifle means its exceptionally unmaneuverable in a home.

If you decide to use a 38 wheel gun for home defense..carry two. Obviously being shot five times only drove the criminal away. Very precarious situation when you have no ammo left in your gun and the perp is still around.

Good thing the criminal could not count..hum..I remember a Clint Eastwood movie with a good line about that.

I like a 45acp with a spare magazine.

MSN.com has already put their ridiculous "spin" on the story, reporting it as "Trigger happy Atlanta mom shoots intruder in the face 5 times" and left out key details of the story...

Left out of he MSN version:

1 Forced his way into the three-story residence on Henderson Ridge Drive with a crowbar.
2. Rummaged through the home, eventually working his way up to the attic office closet, where she was hiding.
3. History of the "alleged" criminal Paul Slater: Long Island native, who now lives in Gwinnett County, was released from the Gwinnett jail in late August after serving six months for simple battery and three counts of probation violation. Slater has six other arrests in Gwinnett dating back to 2008, according to jail records.

Tactical shotgun of any gauge would be most effective.

Last edited:
She used the wrong gun. A 410 shotgun would have been better. The police get about 25% of their bullets on target so imagine the % for a homeowner with a rifle or pistol.

Time to graduate to a .40cal or 9mm semi with 11 or 15 shot clip. More stopping power and more bullets ought to take care of the next home invader – permanently. She did amazing hitting 5 of 6 shots.

I vote for a shotgun as well for home defense. If your old lady can handle a 12 gauge that is always the best as 1 shell can kill almost every time. Of course if you hit a bad guy 5 times that makes it even better. I rotate bird shot and buck shot and my pump action never jams. A hand gun sure is nice if you are in a car or out and about. Just aim for the chest, even a well placed .22 is way better than a .45 that doesn't hit a good spot.

As for the MSM - are you surprised? Bunch of gun hating hippies.

Well I hope she is wealthy if she plans to get an AR with a 30 round magazine anytime soon. A M&P 15 Sport that went for $700 a month ago is now going for $1400+ on Gunbroker. Never mind finding an extra magazine.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Don't high-capacity mags have a higher probability of jamming?

Rifles are bigger and less maneuverable, which are liabilities in close quarters.

High-capacity magazines, when provided by the manufacturer of the firearm, tend to be very reliable. It's the aftermarket ones that say double the capacity that tend to be problematic. [Speaking in generalities here.]

Agreed on the rifles and shotgun maneuverable issues. More accurate, more power, but not without some liabilities.

Myself, I carry a revolver, partially because of the reliability. However, the nearly 10lb trigger pull doesn't help with accuracy. If I was able to hit the range on a weekly basis I'd probably have it down pat. A lighter trigger striker-fired gun (or better, a single action automatic) would be more accurate *for me*.

Originally Posted By: RiceCake
Anyone who uses a carbine rifle for home defence though obviously isn't thinking about where rounds will end up as they freely penetrate drywall and the fact that the length of the rifle means its exceptionally unmaneuverable in a home.

I've thought about getting a 9mm carbine for home defense. Higher capacity than the venerable shotgun, easier reloading, less recoil, less noise. 9mm will go through walls, but I suspect between the velocity drop (due to bullet damage, as I'd be using hollowpoints) and the relative distance between my house and others means that misses won't be that bad.

Now a traditional rifle cartridge, that I'd agree, seemingly overkill and more of a liability. Unless if you're expecting intruders wearing body armor, that is.

In this case it seems a good old fashioned revolver did the job just fine, all the comments to the contrary not withstanding.

However, I disagree with suggestions the intruder should have been killed, justified self defense should be in proportion to the threat.

Apparently this guy was merely a common burgular who got nasty surprize, otherwise he wouldn't have rang the bell first.

No way I'd defend with .223 based upon how the bullet is designed to harm. Stupid.

Maybe a revolver with five tounds isn't enough (though some may argue that the reliability makes up for rounds), but where do the laws of diminishing returns come in?

If you really need 30 rounds of high power rifle capability to stop a perp, something is wrong. Plenty of people have been shot dead with one .38spl.

And no way someone properly shot five times will have the capability of doing much harm. Doubt they could even aim and fire their own weapon well...

It is not easy to hit a moving target reliably under duress with adrenaline pumping. Have you ever tried it?

Even with practice and training it's not easy. When your life depends on it, it's better to have more shots. Period.

Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone
In this case it seems a good old fashioned revolver did the job just fine, all the comments to the contrary not withstanding.

However, I disagree with suggestions the intruder should have been killed, justified self defense should be in proportion to the threat.

Apparently this guy was merely a common burgular who got nasty surprize, otherwise he wouldn't have rang the bell first.

Quote: In February, Slater was arrested on simple battery charges, according to the Gwinnett County Sheriff's Office. He has been arrested six other times in the county since 2008.

The battery history combined with him being in her house hints that if she had not had a gun things may of turned out very bad.

Originally Posted By: RiceCake

Perhaps a basic understanding of terminal performance is in order. Common .223 rounds penetrate less building materials than common handgun rounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back