Burglar Dies in Chimney After Owner Starts Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen reports of similar situations where people get stuck in chimneys. But I have to say......I don't recall ever seeing a chimney that was large enough, nor dampener free, that even a small boy could fit into it. That would be one drafty house.....

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Call me cynical, but I HIGHLY doubt that fire was set accidentally. More likely, the homeowner was fed up with criminals stealing his stuff, heard the stuck burglar screaming for help from the chimney, and set a fire to teach him a lesson. We will never know, really.

lol, I wonder if the homeowner had a few marsh mellows first!

accidental fire my chunky u know.....

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
I have seen reports of similar situations where people get stuck in chimneys. But I have to say......I don't recall ever seeing a chimney that was large enough, nor dampener free, that even a small boy could fit into it. That would be one drafty house.....

https://www.ctsweep.com/blog/top-sweep-stories/child-chimney-sweeps/

It has been said that seveal children have died in the chimneys of Buckingham Palace, London, as the chimneys had tight bends.

Originally Posted By: Sunnyinhollister
The sad part is,because it was in kalifornia, the family of the dead burglar will sue the home owner and the insurance will pay out to settle it.

If it's more likely than not that the homeowner started the fire when he knew there was someone in the chimney, then yes, there will be civil penalties.

If it is beyond reasonable doubt that he knew about the presence of the guy in the chimney then he may face criminal charges as well.

And rightfully so. You cannot have vigilante executions like this in a civilized society.

The sad part is,because it was in kalifornia, the family of the dead burglar will sue the home owner and the insurance will pay out to settle it.

Unfortunately, the burglars estate may give that a try.
Homeowner should countersue for chimney damage caused by the thug.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B

If it's more likely than not that the homeowner started the fire when he knew there was someone in the chimney, then yes, there will be civil penalties.

If it is beyond reasonable doubt that he knew about the presence of the guy in the chimney then he may face criminal charges as well.

And rightfully so. You cannot have vigilante executions like this in a civilized society.

Do you look up your fireplace chimney every time before you light it to see if a thug is clogging it?

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Sorry to hear about the guys chimney being destroyed. Thats sad but hopefully insurance covers it.

+1

Pretty common way to break into a house, or older house with real chimney.

Homeowner better hope that cold weather was in the forecast.

I won't make any assumptions to whether the homeowner was evil or not. But, if it was truly an accident, to blame the homeowner or assume the homeowner as guilty, is just as evil.

If you break into my house, you will be eaten by the dogs. But, some POS will state that I purposely starve my rotties and pitts to keep them hungry enough to eat dirtbag criminals.
smirk.gif

The blame is on the trespassing thieving criminal. Don't think or assume otherwise. If you do, you're thought process is already lost or washed.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo

Do you look up your fireplace chimney every time before you light it to see if a thug is clogging it?
+1

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: Tdbo

+1

Yep, if you can't stand the heat, stay out of the chimney.

Sorry to hear about the guys chimney being destroyed. Thats sad but hopefully insurance covers it.

I would think that the burglars estate would be responsible for the damage.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
It's pretty common. You'd think by the time their age reaches double digits, they'd figure out that Santa climbing down the chimney isn't a true story.

Wait%E2%80%A6What.jpg

Originally Posted By: Kira
Kinda like those yahoos in Texas who stole a guy's pig and got up to 100mph+ during their getaway.

They were both killed and the report said the pig was not hurt. That was likely added to make me feel even better.

What bothers me is that scum like this probably have kids and a wretched "wife" somewhere. Kira

Same here!! If the pig would've gotten hurt it would've broken my heart. Scum like that should be sterilized at birth so they can't breed.

Originally Posted By: Propflux01
Darwin claims yet another while at the same time saving taxpayers the money and time of jail/trial.

Indeed. I say hooray!

Also I hope that any money Cody's nuts had will be seized to pay for the first responders and for the repair of the chimney.

I really wish that these criminals will start being charged for the cost of police and fire response in addition to their criminal and civil penalties.

Last edited:

Yes, and possibly the puff back from the smoke backing up into the house.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Since some folks think this is justified why not cut hands off thieves like the nuts in the middle east?

If you're going to cut something off, I'd prefer it to be their heads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back