2024 Civic w/NA 2.0 - Honda recommends 0w-20 - Suggestions and thoughts?

I do Mostly highway driving. You can review other people posting in UOA section for 2.0T with similar findings. For some people it was worse than mine. No, it did not take it out of minimum allowed viscosity for 0w20 (which is 5.6) The fuel dilution was 5%.
I'll check the UOAs out. thanks.

Btw, I am not claiming that drop in viscosity (still within grade) will damage 2.0T. But I know one thing, my 5w30 after 3-4k miles is within 0w-20 viscosity range. So technically I am within Honda specs :)

Btw, I am not claiming that drop in viscosity (still within grade) will damage 2.0T. But I know one thing, my 5w30 after 3-4k miles is within 0w-20 viscosity range. So technically I am within Honda specs :)
but again, I cant run that oil since its different than the owners manual says to.

but again, I cant run that oil since its different than the owners manual says to.

I have yet to see any warranty denial due to higher viscosity in Honda. Does your manual says “recommend” or require? Mine says recommend. For other fluids like ATF it requires. I would not worry about it, people overthink this warranty coverage.

I have yet to see any warranty denial due to higher viscosity in Honda. Does your manual says “recommend” or require? Mine says recommend. For other fluids like ATF it requires. I would not worry about it, people overthink this warranty coverage.
Honestly never thought of it that way...

Whatever 0W20 major brand syn. Normal first OCI. No reason to do anything beyond it.
Ofcourse there is.
All car manufacturers goal is to get high on this list (or similar).

They couldn't recommend a short first OCI even if they wanted to.
What can be discussed is how well they break-in the engine at the factory.
And how that affects any benefits of a short first OC.

1694647930005.png

Last edited:
Ofcourse there is.
All car manufacturers goal is to get high on this list (or similar).

They couldn't recommend a short first OCI even if they wanted to.
What can be discussed is how well they break-in the engine at the factory.
And how that affects any benefits of a short first OC.

View attachment 178341
Ok so run M1 0W40 and change it at 150, 500, 1000, 3000, 5000.

According to the mods on CRV forums there is no fuel dilution problem with any Honda DI/TGDI engine. Post this blasphemy there and the thread would be locked immediately.

Ain't that the truth. That forum has the most bizarre moderation of any forum I've ever seen.

So this is going to be my next commuter until I retire at around 12 years/175kmi of usage. The motor is the naturally aspirated 2.0 K20C2 variant. I planned on running the oil out until the Maintance Minder tells me to do a change out, but seems most say 7500mi max per OCI. Here are my questions:

• What OCI should I run on the motor?
  • What oil should I run? What oil viscosity should I run? The owner's manual states 0w-20 only, as far as I can tell.
  • OEM filters Id assume? Looks like some dont like it because its a Fram?
  • Im going to dump the FF oil at about 2500mi give or take, does that sound okay?
  • I saw some people NOT resetting the MM in between OCIs... why? They would do it every other OCI to keep the MM on track?
Anything else you guys recommend, please do tell!

thanks!
The 2008 Honda CR-V in my signature calls for 5W-20 which I ran for many years. Past few years I've been using 0W-20 just for consistency with the other vehicles in my family. Pennzoil, Castrol are the usual choices with Fram or Wix filters. Car runs great with close to 300,000 miles. Uses a little oil between 5000 mile OCI which is no big deal. We also had an '08 Saturn that had a connecting rod failure at slightly more than 100,000 miles. I maintained that car the same as I maintain the Honda. In my opinion, if you have a good car and treat it right, it will last. If you have a car with issues or design defects, nothing you do is going help.

Curious if your Civic 2.0 NA is the same engine as the current gen CR-V 2.0 NA?

We have 4000 miles on our CR-V and happy to report no rising oil level and still looks new when wiping dipstick on white paper towel, and tailpipe is clean and not black and sooty.

Hopefully Honda is getting the DI figured out.

Not sure if Im reading right but Im 99.9% sure mine is direct injection, no? K20c2 is the motor.

edited: Just checked and it is D.I.
the info on these engines is all over the place. I was confused when I was buying mine. HRV 2023 2.0 n/a engine is multiport. I found information on the 2024 civic 2.0 n\a engine to say two different things. Honda news says it's a multiport system .

Back