2024 Civic w/NA 2.0 - Honda recommends 0w-20 - Suggestions and thoughts?

So this is going to be my next commuter until I retire at around 12 years/175kmi of usage. The motor is the naturally aspirated 2.0 K20C2 variant. I planned on running the oil out until the Maintance Minder tells me to do a change out, but seems most say 7500mi max per OCI. Here are my questions:

• What OCI should I run on the motor?
  • What oil should I run? What oil viscosity should I run? The owner's manual states 0w-20 only, as far as I can tell.
  • OEM filters Id assume? Looks like some dont like it because its a Fram?
  • Im going to dump the FF oil at about 2500mi give or take, does that sound okay?
  • I saw some people NOT resetting the MM in between OCIs... why? They would do it every other OCI to keep the MM on track?
Anything else you guys recommend, please do tell!

thanks!

Use the cheapest synthetic 0w20 on sale, and run it for the OCI suggested by the minder :)

If you're afraid of 0w20, you can use 0w30 or 5w30.

You're correct that the OEM is a Fram, very close to the PH7317, so just buy the orange can at Walmart and save money. Or, for roughly the same price as an A02 from the dealer, the TG7317 is much better than OE.

Honda actually says not to change the factory fill early, and to leave it in there until the 15% threshold the minder says to change it at.

Of course you should reset the minder after the service.

I had the same engine in my 2016 Honda Civic LX (6 spd manual) that I traded in for my 2020 Pilot.
I ran the OLM down to 15% and changed it with any full synthetic 0W-20 that was cheapest.
Usually around 5k miles for our use , lots of short trips.
Quaker State was and still is my favorite.
Fram or OEM filters are what I used for oil filters for the most part and sometimes would run them for two OCIs.
I would reset my MM every oil change.
Change the PCV valve (OEM only) at least every 30k and you shouldn't have any problems reaching your goal.
I traded mine in with 37K miles , I should of kept it .

Use the cheapest synthetic 0w20 on sale, and run it for the OCI suggested by the minder :)

If you're afraid of 0w20, you can use 0w30 or 5w30.

You're correct that the OEM is a Fram, very close to the PH7317, so just buy the orange can at Walmart and save money. Or, for roughly the same price as an A02 from the dealer, the TG7317 is much better than OE.

Honda actually says not to change the factory fill early, and to leave it in there until the 15% threshold the minder says to change it at.

Of course you should reset the minder after the service.
Now if you dont mind me asking, so I get it, but why does Honda say to leave the FF in? They dont use a break-in oil, correct? And I checked in the manual and it doesnt state that I can use an alternative weight oil. Is there a TSB or something that states as such?

thanks for the reply.

I had the same engine in my 2016 Honda Civic LX (6 spd manual) that I traded in for my 2020 Pilot.
I ran the OLM down to 15% and changed it with any full synthetic 0W-20 that was cheapest.
Usually around 5k miles for our use , lots of short trips.
Quaker State was and still is my favorite.
Fram or OEM filters are what I used for oil filters for the most part and sometimes would run them for two OCIs.
I would reset my MM every oil change.
Change the PCV valve (OEM only) at least every 30k and you shouldn't have any problems reaching your goal.
I traded mine in with 37K miles , I should of kept it .
Thanks.
I would pull about 15k a year on this car and its 90% highway commute. So good for the car on that aspect for sure... I would most likely use OEM as its a piece of mind and helps with warranty issues Im guessing if any should arise.

Thanks!

• What OCI should I run on the motor? These are solid engines. I'd run to 5k mi but i've seen folks with very high mileage going 7.5K.
  • What oil should I run? What oil viscosity should I run? The owner's manual states 0w-20 only, as far as I can tell. 0W-20 in any major or store brand you like. 5w30 won't hurt a thing either.
  • OEM filters Id assume? Looks like some dont like it because its a Fram? Little difference between OEM and a good aftermarket. People like splitting hairs.
  • Im going to dump the FF oil at about 2500mi give or take, does that sound okay? I also dump FF early.
  • I saw some people NOT resetting the MM in between OCIs... why? They would do it every other OCI to keep the MM on track? To each their own.

• What OCI should I run on the motor? These are solid engines. I'd run to 5k mi but i've seen folks with very high mileage going 7.5K.
  • What oil should I run? What oil viscosity should I run? The owner's manual states 0w-20 only, as far as I can tell. 0W-20 in any major or store brand you like. 5w30 won't hurt a thing either.
  • OEM filters Id assume? Looks like some dont like it because its a Fram? Little difference between OEM and a good aftermarket. People like splitting hairs.
  • Im going to dump the FF oil at about 2500mi give or take, does that sound okay? I also dump FF early.
  • I saw some people NOT resetting the MM in between OCIs... why? They would do it every other OCI to keep the MM on track? To each their own.
Thanks for the reply. So I double checked the O.M. and I see no mention of alternative grades being "okay" per Honda, so it looks like Im sticking with that 0w-20 while under the 3/36k warranty. I need to see if I can find out why Honda says to sit on the FF until the M.M. says so. Interested in that for sure, as I would think dumping it ~2500mi or so would be beneficial.

Now if you dont mind me asking, so I get it, but why does Honda say to leave the FF in? They dont use a break-in oil, correct? And I checked in the manual and it doesnt state that I can use an alternative weight oil. Is there a TSB or something that states as such?

thanks for the reply.
Why isn’t following the manufacturer’s guidelines the proper way?

thanks for the reply.

Honda actually does use a special break-in oil that's not available outside the factory.

non-turbo Hondas aren't picky on oil. 0w20 is perfectly fine, but sometimes it's out-of-stock or something, or if you can get a good deal on something else, then there is nothing wrong with that :)

Honda actually does use a special break-in oil that's not available outside the factory.

non-turbo Hondas aren't picky on oil. 0w20 is perfectly fine, but sometimes it's out-of-stock or something, or if you can get a good deal on something else, then there is nothing wrong with that :)
Interesting! And thanks lol !

Back