2023 Honda CR-V/AWD "Sport Touring" Hybrid

Well, we've been testing other SUVs while we're waiting for a suitable 2023 VENZA to arrive locally or that the dealer can do a dealer swap.
We drove a 2023 Honda CR-V and I liked it but for the most part we'veremoved it from our list. This CR-V had 19" wheels/tires

This CR-Vs price in top trim "Sport Touring" is over $40K
*On the SPORT versions(Sport & Sport Touring) are the only versions that are hybrid and the SPORT interiors only come with BLACK pillar & head liner even if you can get light gray seats. And the only part of the seats that are light gray is the center section that you sit in. Even the center arm rest and doors are still all black. Anyone who's read my reviews knows that we just don't like all black interiors.

Things we liked
*Outward visibility was great
*Interior was quiet and not just for a HONDA but in general
*The ride was among the best in segment
*Engine smoothness, power & sound. It felt & sounded like a good HONDA
*The e-CVT fooled me. I knew it was an e-CVT but would have sworn that it was a stepped automatic.
*Built very well, nice & tight
*Never harsh or upset while driving and would be a great companion on a long highway journey

And there is more, I'm sure but, we'd need the CR-V for a week and only had it for an hour.

Thanks for the report. My wife and I drove a new Toyota RAV4 Hybrid yesterday and didn't like it. The ride was not even close to our 2014 Jeep GC. I thought the RAV4 was very noisy on the highway too. I do really like the mileage on the smaller hybrid's such as the Honda CRV however for the price I don't feel they are worth the money. $40K for an economy car/small SUV is just not worth it IMO. I like to save money on gas however it just doesn't work for us because if we bought one it would be our vehicle for long road trips.

Well, $40K is the top of the line version for the HYBRID. You can get a nicely equipped CR-V for ~$34 1.5T gasoline EX trim level. In addition to the lack of seat comfort, there was a lack of driver seat power adjustability. The front thigh portion doesn't lift.

The CR-V is now quite large in size. Probably as large at the original PILOT and waaaaay quieter and better riding. They're still a strong consideration for many and it's not that I don't recommend them, I just say, try it first.

I am actually an EQUINOX fan. They just have so much going for it and those including myself who have tested it come away quite shocked/surprised as to how good it is. My wife doesn't want a NOX. I've driven all of them since 2010 and really like the Chevy and the way that equip their trim lines along with some packages or stand alone features. It's really a solid option in the compact SUV category.

Last edited:
Thanks for the report. My wife and I drove a new Toyota RAV4 Hybrid yesterday and didn't like it. The ride was not even close to our 2014 Jeep GC. I thought the RAV4 was very noisy on the highway too. I do really like the mileage on the smaller hybrid's such as the Honda CRV however for the price I don't feel they are worth the money. $40K for an economy car/small SUV is just not worth it IMO. I like to save money on gas however it just doesn't work for us because if we bought one it would be our vehicle for long road trips.
It's kinda hard to compare the RAV to the JGC as they're in different segments where the Jeep is in the luxury/higher priced segment. But, I get what you're saying.

And the CR-V isn't small any longer and quite roomy considering its exterior dimensions.
To just get in the CR-V, close the doors, fix the seat & mirrors and drive off? It's a nice ride for sure! Nice quiet ride for this segment. I was quite surprised how nice the ride was.

We drove the CRV/Venza hybrids and couldn't justify the cost for extra MPG for her driving pattern. Both were excellent vehicles. The Rav4, same platform as the Venza, felt/sounded like a hollowed out tin can and was scratched off the list instantly. Its amazing what just a little more soundproofing and interior budget quality can do to a vehicle. Toyota cheaped out a little too much on the Rav.

Since her current 2021 Kia is a check engine nightmare, and dealer appointments for repair are usually 2-3 months away each time, if they can't fix it, it will simply be traded in by the end of this year. I hate to say it, but this might be a short term ownership Kia, and we'll then just have to pay up for the CRV/Venza and hunt down the hybrid since her commute is 99.9% city traffic 10k miles a year. So, not worried about the highway mpg of the CRV at all not being better. Inventory is still lacking with some automakers.

Really was hoping for a competitive CX-5 hybrid. The standard CX-5 AWD has a weight/performance/MPG plenty and we only need FWD. The 2.5 was anemic. The 2.5T was beyond a guzzler with her commute. And, we didn't want AWD.

Enjoy your Venza. It would be my 1st pick in that 'wheelbase' segment.

we dont all use white background for bitog here is how your post looks with the dark theme.
I highlighted the text to read but it was a pain.
1680440797761.png

We drove the CRV/Venza hybrids and couldn't justify the cost for extra MPG for her driving pattern. Both were excellent vehicles. The Rav4, same platform as the Venza, felt/sounded like a hollowed out tin can and was scratched off the list instantly. Its amazing what just a little more soundproofing and interior budget quality can do to a vehicle. Toyota cheaped out a little too much on the Rav.

Since her current 2021 Kia is a check engine nightmare, and dealer appointments for repair are usually 2-3 months away each time, if they can't fix it, it will simply be traded in by the end of this year. I hate to say it, but this might be a short term ownership Kia, and we'll then just have to pay up for the CRV/Venza and hunt down the hybrid since her commute is 99.9% city traffic 10k miles a year. So, not worried about the highway mpg of the CRV at all not being better. Inventory is still lacking with some automakers.

Really was hoping for a competitive CX-5 hybrid. The standard CX-5 AWD has a weight/performance/MPG plenty and we only need FWD. The 2.5 was anemic. The 2.5T was beyond a guzzler with her commute. And, we didn't want AWD.

Enjoy your Venza. It would be my 1st pick in that 'wheelbase' segment.
I thought the VENZA had the most bank vault like interior & quiet ride(but firm) of all the SUVs that I’ve driven thus far and I drove it in 40-50 mph winds that whole day and the dealer let me take it home to show my wife. I had the VENZA for about 2 hours. I hope the one that shows up in our spec(LE) is the same. We’ll drive it first before handing over any money.

I’ve been perfectly happy with my current Altima(as I was with my last Altima) but I want to get rid of it while there is still money to be had for it in these post COVID times and before I have to sink any unexpected money into it.

Last edited:
Interior being quiet would be an immense upgrade. The current 5th Gen interior is noisy as all get out with wind and road noise. On a scale of 1-10, our CRV would be like a 3-4 whilst our Odyssey would be like a 7-8.

I always felt that Honda’s were always too loud on the hiwy. However they had gotten better…and then gone backward once again. IDKY! My daughter’s 2015 Civic LX was quieter than her new 2022 Civic LX.
Cutting costs and trying to save pennies

I wish I test drove one before I got the CX5, I might have liked it more. The highway noise won't bother me too mush as I would eventually start sound dampening it like the CX5.

I wish I test drove one before I got the CX5, I might have liked it more. The highway noise won't bother me too mush as I would eventually start sound dampening it like the CX5.
Literally the only thing the CRV has on the -5 is the 90* open rear doors. Everything is better on the -5.

Reactions: Pew
We did test drive the 2023 Mazda CX5 as well even prior to testing the CR-V. And there are things I like about the CX5(I can do a review on the CX5 too) and a few that we didn't like. When we buy a new vehicle, I really focus(no pun :D) on how well will we like the vehicle over the long haul. And I mean, we really focus.

It's not just 3-4 years but 8-10 years. We are all about everyday-ness & normal-ness when buying a vehicle. Not the "Oh, once in a while we need something else"! If we need/want something else, we'll get something else! No vehicle is perfect and they're all nice. It's not which one is better but which one is better for you/me?

Can we live with the things that we don't care for/don't like?
Will the vehicle fit a high 90-something % of our daily commute?
How many boxes(criteria) does the vehicle check off compared to its competitors?

Our criteria has changed since the last time we bought a new vehicle. It's less about people hauling and more about just us.
If we need 2 new vehicles, we'll buy 2 new vehicles. We don't but I'm just saying!!!

I know guys who buy an F-150, Silverado etc because they need a truck 1X/yr. And then they drive this huge vehicle everyday and wish they were in something else. Yeah, trucks are nice, I get it! But, I'd rather rent a truck 1X/yr when I need a truck instead of paying for the truck over the long haul of initial cost, fuel, maintenance/tires etc.

Or the kids who buy the slow Honda Civic and try to make it fast instead of buying the FASTER Civic of just the faster car in the first place. Yeah I know, I get it, money is tight.

Last edited:
Literally the only thing the CRV has on the -5 is the 90* open rear doors. Everything is better on the -5.

The CX5 almost has a 90 degree open rear door, probably closer to 85* but overall it opens way more than I thought it would.
We did test drive the 2023 Mazda CX5 as well even prior to testing the CR-V. And there are things I like about the CX5(I can do a review on the CX5 too) and a few that we didn't like. When we buy a new vehicle, I really focus(no pun :D) on how well will we like the vehicle over the long haul. And I mean, we really focus.

My only real complaints on the CX5 is the seats, ride quality, and overly touchy steering. I like the interior and looks of the CX5 more though. How does the CRV compare to the CX5 in that aspect?

Back