2023 Dodge Durango R/T

Yes, PFI is a huge selling point for me. But I have heard the hemi tick in one of the brand new vehicles during the cold start up(at the dealer). It wasn't very loud but noticeable for any mechanically inclined person.

I think the only direct alternative would be the Explorer ST, but I heard a lot of QC problems about Ford lately.
Keep in mind ticking is not lifter failure. And in fact they are known to tick and make other funky noises if they are started, moved, and then shut off, the next time they are started. Supposedly, it's fixed for real this time with the latest lifter revision, lol. THINK that was 2018+?

Beauty is in the the eye of the beholder, and I think the Durango is a minivan since the most recent refresh. Every time I see a high trim Durango, I wonder if the owner is aware that his/her ride looks more like a minivan than a sport/ut, at least from the windshield back.

The front ends look ok though.

My wife's 2021 Navigator is a blast to drive. I don't dog it, but Friday we were late to a doctor's appointment and I was hitting I20 like a Nascar driver. Of course, I DD an F150, and I'm used to that heavy bastid at high speeds.
It's definitely subjective. I like the new 2021+ looks. I hate the looks previous model years inside and out.

At the end of the day all of them are "utility" vehicles, not meant to win any beauty contest.

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a 3-row SUV to replace my wife's CR-V before the end of this year. I'm not in a death rush as I'm looking for deals and can survive with the CR-V few more months to find a better deal.

What do you guys think about the Durango R/T? Any Durango R/T owners here? I know it's a very old platform, but I like the most updated exterior and interior (2021+) design. I want a V8 before they are gone. We are looking for either brand new, or slightly used 2021+ depending on the price difference. Tow N Go package is a must for us new or used, not just because increased towing capacity, but there are lots of good stuff included in that package.

Since I bought the CR-V 3 years ago, we have put about 12000 miles, so the cost difference between an I-4, V6 and V8 would be negligible. I do not want to buy another boring SUV, and Durango is one of the few ones that offers V8 in an unibody platform. Not considering body-on-frame entries like Tahoe etc. as they are much bigger, expensive and less fun to drive.

View attachment 167282

Would you recommend it? Let me know your experience & thoughts. Thanks!
If one of those how about the hellcat version? Go big or go home. Actually if you look around the 2021 seems to have alot of Infotainment issues with updates and reboots. Exhaust manifold cracks etc. It sounds like 2022 and newer are better made.

Keep in mind ticking is not lifter failure. And in fact they are known to tick and make other funky noises if they are started, moved, and then shut off, the next time they are started. Supposedly, it's fixed for real this time with the latest lifter revision, lol. THINK that was 2018+?
For unknown reasons, the big 3 continue to have cam/lifter issues. Its definitely not as prevalent as it once was, and if you consider how many HEMI's are in circulation versus Tellurides (or other lower volume vehicles), it isn't that common. However, the risk is real and the expense is significant IF it does happen to you. I follow a few Ram groups on facebook and you definitely still see reports of the issue every week or so; but that group does have over 70K members.

If one of those how about the hellcat version? Go big or go home. Actually if you look around the 2021 seems to have alot of Infotainment issues with updates and reboots. Exhaust manifold cracks etc. It sounds like 2022 and newer are better made.

I think I can only afford the R/T brand new, and SRT used. Hellcat is 2x more expensive than the R/T, if not more. Can't justify 6-figure $ amount for a car purchase at this point.

I'm not looking for the best straight line performance, I have motorcycles for that. I want the V8 experience with decent amount of hp/torque for the money, and good interior space. I just do not want another boring SUV to replace my very boring SUV.

SRT would be a good fit, but can't choose as I want 7 seat configuration (also applicable for Hellcat).

Last edited:
I think I can only afford the R/T brand new, and SRT used. Hellcat is 2x more expensive than the R/T, if not more. Can't justify 6-figure $ amount for a car purchase at this point.

I'm not looking for the best straight line performance, I have motorcycles for that. I want the V8 experience with decent amount of hp/torque for the money, and good interior space. I just do not want another boring SUV to replace my very boring SUV.

SRT would be a good fit, but can't choose as I want 7 seat configuration (also applicable for Hellcat).
I've owned 4x SRT vehicles, 3x of them were GC's. The 6.4L is a very noticeable upgrade over the 5.7L, but the vast majority of the time, you aren't going to be letting it stretch its legs enough for that to matter. The 5.7L sounds good, has a nice out of the hole feel to it and while not as fast, should still put a smile on your face.

Keep in mind the warranty on the SRT is 2 years shorter, so a used one will likely be out of warranty or is going to be soon. Also, the big SRT brakes (the 2-piece ones) are very expensive to replace, and they eat them. They last like 30,000km. I have a thread on that. The SRT has optional extended leather, but it's less extended on the Durango than on the GC (you don't get leather door panels for example). Also, the run-flat tires are hard and ride rough.

I've owned 4x SRT vehicles, 3x of them were GC's. The 6.4L is a very noticeable upgrade over the 5.7L, but the vast majority of the time, you aren't going to be letting it stretch its legs enough for that to matter. The 5.7L sounds good, has a nice out of the hole feel to it and while not as fast, should still put a smile on your face.

Keep in mind the warranty on the SRT is 2 years shorter, so a used one will likely be out of warranty or is going to be soon. Also, the big SRT brakes (the 2-piece ones) are very expensive to replace, and they eat them. They last like 30,000km. I have a thread on that. The SRT has optional extended leather, but it's less extended on the Durango than on the GC (you don't get leather door panels for example). Also, the run-flat tires are hard and ride rough.
Thanks for the input, much appreciated. I didn't know SRTs only come with 3 year warranty instead of 5. Any v8 would put a smile on my face after 180 hp boring SUV, so I'm really not worried about R/Ts performance.

In regards to SRT brakes, do you mean that they are expensive to replace at the dealer? Prices at Rockauto seems okay (for SRT models).

Thanks for the input, much appreciated. I didn't know SRTs only come with 3 year warranty instead of 5. Any v8 would put a smile on my face after 180 hp boring SUV, so I'm really not worried about R/Ts performance.

In regards to SRT brakes, do you mean that they are expensive to replace at the dealer? Prices at Rockauto seems okay (for SRT models).
OE parts are expensive, and if you get the 2-piece rotors, there isn't an aftermarket equivalent I discovered, and the OE ones are insanely expensive.

Post #106 in that thread has screenshots of the prices for the OE pads and rotors (2-piece rotors).

OE parts are expensive, and if you get the 2-piece rotors, there isn't an aftermarket equivalent I discovered, and the OE ones are insanely expensive.

Post #106 in that thread has screenshots of the prices for the OE pads and rotors (2-piece rotors).
Thanks. What I've found that SRT and R/T TnG comes with same Brembo calipers & pads, and 350mm rotors. However, R/T comes with a single piece rotors, that's why there are more aftermarket alternatives and significantly cheaper to replace.

I assume it would also be a cheaper option for the SRT too, since they are both 350mm, you might as well put single piece rotor, no?

Thanks. What I've found that SRT and R/T TnG comes with same Brembo calipers & pads, and 350mm rotors. However, R/T comes with a single piece rotors, that's why there are more aftermarket alternatives and significantly cheaper to replace.

I assume it would also be a cheaper option for the SRT too, since they are both 350mm, you might as well put single piece rotor, no?
I ordered it with the 2-piece rotors, intentionally (which was a $1,300 option). My '16 didn't have the 2-piece rotors.

If the R/T TnG has the same pads and rotors as the SRT, be prepared for them to last like 30-35,000km. That's what I got out of the ones on my '16. I don't recall there being aftermarket rotors available at the time, but that was quite a few years ago, so I assume they must exist by now, given there's a market. The OE single-piece rotors are less expensive than the 2-piece, but they aren't super cheap, at around $400/piece. You've already seen the prices for the OE pads I assume.

The build sheet for my 2020 is posted on here somewhere.

Last edited:
I’d buy another Durango in a heartbeat, loved my 2011 except for that godawful 545RFE 5 speed they decided to use for reasons unknown to me, the nag1 was good enough behind the 6.4 SRT models and the 3.6 v6 but nnnoooooo let’s make it so it’ll go 90mph in second gear! /rant

But yeah…. It handled surprisingly well for a 5,000lb AWD SUV, but was also comfortable even on rougher roads, and had great seats. My particular one had a few reliability issues, but it was also the 1st model year and I bought it used with 55k. The later ones seem pretty ironed out.

Back