2023 Equinox ... Owners manual doesn't state what fluids to use

Looking at my 2023 Chevy Equinox AWD owners manual and I see that it does not list what type of fluid to use for the transfer case and rear end.
All it says is see your dealer.
1. Why wouldn't they state what to use?
2. Anyone know what it takes?

They dont want you to know, and take it to the dealer instead. Ridiculous. They have to tell you the correct info for free.

Looking at my 2023 Chevy Equinox AWD owners manual and I see that it does not list what type of fluid to use for the transfer case and rear end.
All it says is see your dealer.
1. Why wouldn't they state what to use?
2. Anyone know what it takes?
1) they probably consider these "lifetime" fluids (we all know they aren't, but the vast majority of people never change these, ever ...), so they don't list what to use. Further, it's obvious that they want you to go to a dealer service department; keeping the money "in house" as it were.
2) the tcase is probably some derivative of the auto-trac fluid, and the diffs are probably syn 75w-90 of some sort, but I cannot assure you

I would presume you could visit/call the dealer and ask what fluids GM specs for the applications. Then you can "backwards search" the 'net for equivalents.

Rear diff takes Dexron LS hypoid fluid in the diff section and pentosin CHF11s in the clutch section. For the transfer case the service manual says refer to electronic parts catalog so I would need a VIN number to look that up

Back in the day I owned a 1999 Olds Intrigue. In its owners manual it mentions

Onstar: For details about Onstar, check the supplemental booklet.

This is because it was just invented.

They did something hokey with the fluid, have a frankenbrew at the factory, and haven't come up with a bottler for it yet. Or a name, like Dexgear... it rolls off the tongue.

It uses GM PN 88900401 fluid, it holds .53qt
EDIT, this uses two different fluids in the rear diff.

F4FE1169-7AC9-4CC8-ACB3-62320E20C3B2.jpg

Last edited:
The owners manual that was referenced .. what shoddy work.
Clean drinkable water????

doesnt list oil viscosity grade?
u g h .
1706576311254.png

Back