Transmission Fluid Change: Check bolt vs indicated capacity

I'm planning on changing the transmission fluid in my Civic Type R shortly. The service manual indicates that upon fluid change, the refill capacity is 2.3 quarts.
The instructions in the manual also state to lift the car, keep it level, and then open a check bolt. Refill with 2.3 quarts until it drips out of the check bolt. Retorque and check for leaks. In these cases, what does BITOG community do.
  1. Follow the check bolt method and level the car,
  2. OR just dump in 2.3 quarts and call it a day.
Reason I ask is my garage a slight incline for draining. I could place the front on 2 jack stands, then raise the rear with a floor jack when refilling, but I don't like the idea.

The difference between 2.3 quarts and 2.5 quarts or 2.1 quarts won't make any difference, but what's so hard about removing the check bolt? Is your 2nd gear grinding yet?

The check fill method is what to use. That way you are absolutely sure to have the right level. Be sure to read the process entirely because most procedures state the car needs to be running and at a specific operating temp and perfectly level to do it.

I always do transmission drains (auto or manual) into a container that I have that has measurement lines. Put in the same amount that you took out and done. This of course assumes that factory fill amount was correct and there are no leaks.

The difference between 2.3 quarts and 2.5 quarts or 2.1 quarts won't make any difference, but what's so hard about removing the check bolt? Is your 2nd gear grinding yet?

No grinds. Just the occasional 4th gear lockout - which is inherent to the design of the 2015-2021 Type R transmission.

Only reason I’m not doing check bolt with 100% certainly is that my floor isn’t 100% level. Again, I can use a floor jack to level the car while filling but it’s a sketchy….

If you can't lift the car safely take it to a shop. Jack stands are cheap. safety first!!!
I would use the drain bolt check method. Good luck.

Why would you do anything other than follow the manufacturer’s method for filling?

They gave you a check bolt to get the level correct. They gave you instructions on how to fill it using that check bolt. The fill plug/check bolt method has been around for a hundred years, because it is simple and it works.

Why overthink this? Put fluid in until it drips out, just like Honda says.

Last edited:
I can use a floor jack to level the car while filling but it’s a sketchy….
Assuming you have the front of the car on ramps or stands, this is a central lift point by the rear bumper to raise it to level. Nothing sketchy and you don't need to be laser precise, just eyeball level.

lift point.jpg

If you can't lift the car safely take it to a shop. Jack stands are cheap. safety first!!!
I would use the drain bolt check method. Good luck.

I will never go under a car without Jack stand.
Assuming you have the front of the car on ramps or stands, this is a central lift point by the rear bumper to raise it to level. Nothing sketchy and you don't need to be laser precise, just eyeball level.

View attachment 205355
Yes! This is what I was referring to in my original post. Guess it is settled, I will do that.

I promise that your garage posed less of a challenge than my driveway.... which has a rise of six feet over 50 feet of run. I eyeballed level by holding an actual level, standing about ten yards away, and checking the centers of wheels once I had all the jacks/stands/ramps in place.

Reason I ask is my garage a slight incline for draining. I could place the front on 2 jack stands, then raise the rear with a floor jack when refilling, but I don't like the idea.
A slope for draining only needs to be very minimal - not enough that it will negatively impact your refill level. Or, get a longer tube on your fill pump and while you have jack stands in the rear, you might only need to jack the rear up 1" or so. Put a carpenters level on a door sill to check the level.

Back