2016 BMW 535d - Opinions?

I went and looked at the car again today, with attention to detail. The tires need replacing, parts of the front brake calipers (not the rotor) have a lot of visible rust, and the windshield cowl has completely rotted rubber where it meets the bottom of the windshield. On a 7 year old car with 57k miles. I'm no longer interested in doing some additional investigation into this car, since it oozes potential trouble.

Sounds like I'm trying to talk myself into it, doesn't it? Dangit

Last edited:
I went and looked at the car again today, with attention to detail. The tires need replacing, parts of the front brake calipers (not the rotor) have a lot of visible rust, and the windshield cowl has completely rotted rubber where it meets the bottom of the windshield. On a 7 year old car with 57k miles. I'm no longer interested in this car, as it oozes potential trouble.
That’s pretty normal for a car that has spent it’s time outside.

That is a very, very nice part of town and is very close to where I am currently sitting.
Hmmmm, with that in mind, I may contact the seller and see if I can arrange an inspection by the indy BMW shop in town. If whatever fixes it needs are not major, I might still want it.

I went and looked at the car again today, with attention to detail. The tires need replacing, parts of the front brake calipers (not the rotor) have a lot of visible rust, and the windshield cowl has completely rotted rubber where it meets the bottom of the windshield. On a 7 year old car with 57k miles. I'm no longer interested in doing some additional investigation into this car, since it oozes potential trouble.

The rotting rubber window trim is fairly common on BMWs lately, whether garaged or not.

Seems normal for an "outside" car.

Carmax has some of these in stock at similar pricing. For an extra few thousand you can get one of their warranties up to 150k miles/10 years with a $50 deductible on repairs. Plus they replace worn out tires and have a return policy.

Carmax has some of these in stock at similar pricing. For an extra few thousand you can get one of their warranties up to 150k miles/10 years with a $50 deductible on repairs. Plus they replace worn out tires and have a return policy.
Last time I was on a carmax lot there wasn't a single unit I'd spend my money on. Seems like everything they have in stock near me is ragged out

I looked, and the only 535D I could find that interested me was not local and they wanted $1500 for shipping it here.

I contacted the seller of the car in my original post, and am waiting to hear back from them. I'm going to try to meet with them soon.

I think I’d be a sucker for this. It’s a fairly rare car. Normal people won’t have many opportunities to experience diesel ownership for much longer.
I'm meeting with the seller on Friday. Found out today it's been dealer serviced the majority of its life. If I can get it for the right price, it'll probably be in my driveway soon.

I'm meeting with the seller on Friday. Found out today it's been dealer serviced the majority of its life. If I can get it for the right price, it'll probably be in my driveway soon.
Did you look into the engine problems N57 engines can have? Honestly if you buy it you’re a brave man. Money pit waiting to happen.

Hmmmm, with that in mind, I may contact the seller and see if I can arrange an inspection by the indy BMW shop in town. If whatever fixes it needs are not major, I might still want it.
You definitely want the car to undergo a pre-purchase inspection performed by a reputable independent shop that specializes in BMWs. www.bimrs.org is your friend.

So, I bought the car. I test drove it but I did not have it inspected beforehand, and I 100% accept that the entire thing could blow up in my face. I'm a big boy and I accept that risk. If it self-destructs, you all can say you warned me and will be correct. Again, I accept the risk I took.

I checked for open recalls and this car's VIN has zero. The seller said he has never had any recall repairs and he's had it since very low miles. So either it hasn't had any recalls or they were dealt with early on.

I negotiated the price several thousand lower than asking (because I'm so charming). The car has a few issues that were pointed out to me before I agreed to buy. One is that the main display (HUD? CID?) has some dead pixels and I know it will have to be replaced eventually and won't be cheap. So that's on my radar. I also have to get new tires soon. Other than that, it drives like a dream, and I'm looking forward to many miles in it.

Last edited:
Back