2016 BMW 535d - Opinions?

A guy near my work has a very nice looking 2016 BMW 535d (Diesel) for sale with 57k miles. Right now, I'm only passively interested, but I'd like to hear BITOG's opinion on this car, or similar BMW diesel models. Depending on what you all tell me, I may look into it more. Thanks.

A guy near my work has a very nice looking 2016 BMW 535d (Diesel) for sale with 57k miles. Right now, I'm only passively interested, but I'd like to hear BITOG's opinion on this car, or similar BMW diesel models. Depending on what you all tell me, I may look into it more. Thanks.

This particular model was known as the 530d outside of the US. BMW engine code is N57.

These cars have EGR, DPF, and SCR (Urea). Other than a NOx sensor my neighbor never had any problems with his when he sold it at around 150k miles/4 yrs. Below are a couple of open recalls.

Open EGR Recall

HPFP recall

Note: Finding and indy shop who's willing to work on one may be a challange.

We have a very good indy BMW shop here, so no worries there.
Are they the kind of indy BMW shop that charges hr and primarily works on stuff between 2005-2015? That's a different kind of indy BMW shop that may not do the best with this type of car.

I'd say a good way to weed out a modern BMW indy versus one that has made their living sucking gravy on older BMW's is whether they have factory diagnostic tooling and are regularly executing programming events using ISTA and an ICOM.

The issue, like with ANY modern diesel, will come down to SCR system. N57 has the latest generation of SCR, so it should be more reliable when it comes to NOx sensors and SCR than the previous generation on M57.
Ask that Indy whether they have experience with diagnosing SCR problems. That is a serious feat as disagreeing NOx sensors doesn't necessarily mean a sensor issue, but could be a selective catalytic issue, DEF valve issue. Also, you have a federal warranty on SCR going 8yrs and 80k.
As for the engine, no one makes as good a diesel inline-six as BMW, and it has ZF8.
Also, F10, especially after 2014, are very reliable, but as @The Critic said, make sure the BMW shop is utilizing all versions of ISTA and ICOM, not just ISTA-D, but ALL! If they do not use ISTA at all, it is a problem.

Also, F10, especially after 2014, are very reliable, but as @The Critic said, make sure the BMW shop is utilizing all versions of ISTA and ICOM, not just ISTA-D, but ALL! If they do not use ISTA at all, it is a problem.
Yeah, if their idea of a scan tool is Autel and Topdon.....and they call in a Mobile Programmer for anything else, run.

Are they the kind of indy BMW shop that charges hr and primarily works on stuff between 2005-2015? That's a different kind of indy BMW shop that may not do the best with this type of car...
It's the shop that everybody I've asked locally that has a BMW in their fleet says they use. Unfortunately none of those folks has a BMW diesel. I haven't had the chance to deal with the indy yet, but I haven't heard anybody say anything bad about them. This is quoted from their "about us" section of their website: "Factory trained with ISTA also utilize Autologic assist with active support, be careful, there are some leaky vessels out there." Can't say I know what that part about leaky vessels means.???

"Factory trained with ISTA also utilize Autologic assist with active support, be careful, there are some leaky vessels out there." Can't say I know what that part about leaky vessels means.???
Autologic was the bee's knees 10 years ago...pretty much useless these days.

Reality is, if you just need a shop to change oil, replace brakes, hang suspension parts and fix an oil leak or two, any "Euro shop" can do it. The difference is when you really have an issue, which is gonna happen on one of these, will they be the shop that can accurately diagnose it on the first visit....or will they keep hanging parts until they give up and send you to the dealer?

Back