2015 Ford Fiesta ST..New ride oil options..?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everybody..I recently got rid of my camaro and my prius and purchased a 2015 fiesta ST..it is one of the simplest yet most fun cars I've ever driven. I've only had it for 3 weeks and already put almost 2k miles on it..I commute 110 miles a day for work. The car has a1.6l ecoboost engine..I think max boost pressure is around 21psi. From what I understand the motor is very similar to the ecoboost in the new escape. The manual calls for motorcraft 5w20 syn.blend or 5w20 full synthetic. I would like to stick with a full synthetic due to the oil temps with the turbo. I have 4 cases of TGMO 0w20 in the garage. Does anyone see a problem with this oil for 5k drains? I can also use the new shell made BMW 5w30 synthetic, as I can get it for very cheap. I'm assuming the TGMO would be the better choice since its the recommended viscosity..If neither of these are good choices please give me some suggestions..I'm all ears! Thanks for the help.

I wouldn't use an oil with a high moly content in a turbocharged direct injected engine. Such oils often score poorly in the TEOST deposit test.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I wouldn't use an oil with a high moly content in a turbocharged direct injected engine. Such oils often score poorly in the TEOST deposit test.

Ahh I wasn't even thinking about the moly content of TGMO..I can get the BMW oil for pretty much free..would 5w30 really make a difference in the longevity of the ecoboost 4cylinder..compared to the recommended 5w20?

I have a 2013 sho admit is interesting that in that model year ford went back to 5w30 from 0w20 or was it 5w20 from the first 3 years of the sho. Been thoughts. It was from fuel dilution issue. Depends on what you want to do. If you plan to tune or not and worry about warranty.

I own a 2014 model, no change except year.

I use 0w20 or 5w20 pp for 5 k miles. And a FRAM ultra.

Have fun with the OLM, ford flat out admits its broken and they can't fix it. Only turn off the oil change light.

I have a Accesspoint (ap). Unit. Stock and stage 1 tune no change in temps.

Below 60 mph. Oil 175F.coolant 180
Above 60 mph. Oil 210f. Coolant 175

They flip. And remain stable. I suspect it is the cooling routing in the head. Oil is water cooled.

I've ran 3 tanks without AC. And still average 30.5 mpg. The AC unit on this car is awesome. I just leave it on full auto.

Btw. It's called Molten Orange. Got my whole car that color!

Intercooler on its way from DHM. And will be stage 2 for a year until I get bored, and drop a larger turbo in. Love this car, it's on rails with sticky summer tires. Yet quiet and civilized when the woman wants a ride too

Great little car...all the reviews I've read have been very positive on what a great driving experience the car provides....enjoy and have fun with it.

On the 3.7 Ecoboost in the F150's I believe Ford was at 5W20 at one time, and have since bumped it up to 5W30 which has proven to be a better match. Some guys are even running 40 in either 0W40 or 5W40.

In your new car I'd start with the Ford recommended 5W20 and do a few UOA's to see how it looks and go from there. It may be fine or you may want to move up depending on the results.

Awesome man..molten orange was the original color I planned on getting..But ended up ordering a white one with orange seats..I absolutely love it. I forget it's a front (wrong) wheel drive drive car. The handling really is that good. Well dang I guess I'll have to use my stash of TGMO in my wife's civic. I really don't plan on using the oil monitor in this car..just gonna change it every 5k miles and be done with it..just can't decide on what oil to use. It's hard to argue with almost free bmw synthetic oil..of course unless it causes an engine failure...then it's far from free lol. Maybe I'll just run Pennzoil platinum in it and call it a day...It's just with the 40~50k miles I drive a year free oil seems like the best choice lol

Of the 2 oils you mention I'd use the 5w30 BMW over the fuel economy maximized TGMO.
If I were going to Wallyworld for oil I'd probably use M1, QSUD, PP etc...in 5w20.

Does your ST have the IOLM? Does Ford specify any special standards for the ST? (besides the normal SN/RC GF-5)

I'd stick to 5w20 while under warranty and use the IOLM suggested OCI's with confidence.

A full syn is likely better for the turbo, but nothing wrong with the blend if Ford finds it acceptable. The IOLM was most likely calibrated for the blend anyway.

My choice would be either MC blend, or the cheapest synthetic on sale at the store of your choice. MC full syn is more difficult to obtain, but if you really want it, Kendall is very close if not the same, and at a lower price.

I had an AccessPort for my previous Subie and the Stage 1 tune was pretty nice. Looking at the map online, there appears to be a good torque increase with only a reflash to Stage 1.

Link:
http://www.ocsoil.fi/upload/News on Lubes/ILSAC-GF-5.pdf

Info from Link:
The TEOST 33C bench test evaluates an engine oil’s tendency to form high-temperature
deposits. This test was originally developed and included in GF-2 to evaluate turbocharger
deposits. It was not part of GF-3 or GF-4, but is back in GF-5 in anticipation of greater use of
turbochargers. Turbochargers allow the automakers to use smaller displacement, more fuel-
efficient engines while still maintaining high power output. Deposit buildup in the turbocharger
bearing areas can lead to loss of engine performance, turbocharger failure and possibly engine
failure. In GF-2, the maximum limit for deposits was 60 mg. For GF-5, the maximum limit is 30
mg (except there is no limit for SAE 0W-20 oils because some Japanese OEMs recommend
SAE 0W-20 oils with high molybdenum content which will not pass this test).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wemay

Link:
http://www.ocsoil.fi/upload/News on Lubes/ILSAC-GF-5.pdf

Info from Link:
The TEOST 33C bench test evaluates an engine oil’s tendency to form high-temperature
deposits. This test was originally developed and included in GF-2 to evaluate turbocharger
deposits. It was not part of GF-3 or GF-4, but is back in GF-5 in anticipation of greater use of
turbochargers. Turbochargers allow the automakers to use smaller displacement, more fuel-
efficient engines while still maintaining high power output. Deposit buildup in the turbocharger
bearing areas can lead to loss of engine performance, turbocharger failure and possibly engine
failure. In GF-2, the maximum limit for deposits was 60 mg. For GF-5, the maximum limit is 30
mg (except there is no limit for SAE 0W-20 oils because some Japanese OEMs recommend
SAE 0W-20 oils with high molybdenum content which will not pass this test).

Isn't that an interesting tidbit.

I would ignore the suggestion to use 5w20 with a turbo. I'd use a 30 weight. Valvoline doesn't have moly to hurt the turbo. Royal purple oe is moly free too. Motor craft uses only a slight bit so it would be fine.

I see you can get BMW oil for nearly. [censored] use that man and yes 5w30 will be better

Last edited:
I used to own a '14 ST.
I used 5w30 MC Synblend and MC filters for the first 10k then switched to FormulaShell full synthetic.
Pick any good full synthetic 5w30 and run for 5k. At 10k do a UOA to see how your engine likes the oil and OCI.
I personally wouldn't do a UOA before 10k as there will be elevated elements due to break in.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
BMW 5w30 almost free? Use that!

The BMW 5w-30 almost free is a great option, wish I could get it for almost free.
Another good option is what I've seen a few people discuss and UOA on bitog about the Caterham blend, half TGMO 0w-20, and half Mobil1 0w-40 (only $25 for 5 quart jug at walmart), and you've got yourself a stout oil that would have no problem in a turbo.

Great Car !!

With a turbo I would go a full synthetic 5w30

Over here we have full synthetic valvoline SynPower FE 5w30 which is ACEA A5/B5 and Ford M2C-913D which I believe is specially made for the modern Ford Engines ( hence FE in the name).

Originally Posted By: pbm
Of the 2 oils you mention I'd use the 5w30 BMW over the fuel economy maximized TGMO.
If I were going to Wallyworld for oil I'd probably use M1, QSUD, PP etc...in 5w20.

+1

Originally Posted By: SR5
Great Car !!

With a turbo I would go a full synthetic 5w30

Over here we have full synthetic valvoline SynPower FE 5w30 which is ACEA A5/B5 and Ford M2C-913D which I believe is specially made for the modern Ford Engines ( hence FE in the name).

That's good advice.

Awesome guys thank you for the responses. I'm a BMW master mechanic and one of the very few perks if you will is that I usually have accumulated enough bottles with half a quart in them to do my own oil change..or possibly just have to purchase one or two quarts to get the 4.5 I'll need. I can vouch for the oil keeping engines quite clean as long as the interval is within reason..just wasn't sure how the new Ford motors responded to slightly thicker oil. If I'm not mistaken this motor has a wet timing belt(lubricated with engine oil)..don't know much about it besides the manual stating to check the condition every 150k miles. Alright well as long as I can get the bmw oil I guess I'll go with that..thanks again for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back