2015 F150 body tooling quality is very poor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because the NSX was a hand-built exotic, not a pickup! In 1991, it cost a staggering $61,000, and they were a bit short of $90,000(!) by 2005.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Because the NSX was a hand-built exotic, not a pickup! In 1991, it cost a staggering $61,000, and they were a bit short of $90,000(!) by 2005.

Holy poop. I agree with you.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: ls1mike

Holy poop. I agree with you.
smile.gif

lol even I agree. [censored] has officially frozen over!

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
$50,000 for a half ton truck? LOL!

Start checking off options and it's easy to get there. You can option out a half ton truck like it's a luxury car.

I optioned a 2015 Chevy 2500HD 6.0 six speed. W/T Crew Cab, long bed, 4x4. PW, PD, Cruise, trailer brake, and few other options. Rubber Floors Cloth seats. 31,425. Not horrible but I got spoiled with the current truck as I got a good deal on it with low miles used. So I don't even want to spend that.

I want to thank you, now every time I look down the sides of my truck I see the waves your talking about. They are not on the Dodge or older Fords. Yeah, thanks ALOT.

NSX wasn't hand built, the body panels were stamp(or what ever technique to form aluminum panels) at a new assemblies plant Honda built for this car.

Ford has 25 years to learn/perfect the technique to make aluminum panels and they couldn't do it right.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

NSX wasn't hand built, the body panels were stamp(or what ever technique to form aluminum panels) at a new assemblies plant Honda built for this car.

Ford has 25 years to learn/perfect the technique to make aluminum panels and they couldn't do it right.

+1!

Ally is not a new material, it doesn't have any properties we are not yet aware of. And as stated before the NSX and more recently the A8, Jaguar XJ and others are made from ally WITHOUT ripples or waves..
The technology and processes to do it properly exist and are familiar to many carmakers. Unfortunately for the consumer, Ford are to cheap to do it properly.

I was stopped along side and slightly behind a new F-150 yesterday afternoon. It was in a dark blue, after reading this thread I had to have another look, not good would be putting it nicely. At the next light I was alongside it. The orange peel in the paint looked like it was applied with a roller. I'm often critical of a paint job, but boy was this one bad.

^^^My pilot buddy just took delivery of his new F150. One of the worst paint jobs I have seen on a new vehicle, looked just like Demarpaint said: applied with a roller!

They also poorly masked a section of two tone and over-sprayed the main color at the edge!

He has a regular cab 4X4 with the 2.7 ecoboost. Drives great, very nice little engine but sure makes some funny noises...

Now I'm gonna look down the panels of every new truck I see.

Add this to my list of things I look at.......

- Air in Tires
- Uneven tread depth
- Brake dust on rims
- Lack of tire rotation

AND that's just the tires!!

NOW, I'm gonna add wavy body panels!
crazy2.gif
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Olas

+1!

Ally is not a new material, it doesn't have any properties we are not yet aware of. And as stated before the NSX and more recently the A8, Jaguar XJ and others are made from ally WITHOUT ripples or waves..
The technology and processes to do it properly exist and are familiar to many carmakers. Unfortunately for the consumer, Ford are to cheap to do it properly.

You guys do realize that Honda used point ignition in their mass produced cars all the way into the early 2000's when Ford and GM stopped using it in something like 80's?

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
$50,000 for a half ton truck? LOL!

I was playing around with the F150 configurator. I got it up to $35K for a F150 ... to go any higher, I would have had to start adding stuff I had no desire for

They've done it right many times in the past (the hood on my Expedition is aluminum) and the results have generally been excellent save the issue of paint adhesion.

I personally, have not taken a look at one of these new F-150's, but it isn't an issue with Ford being capable of doing it, if there IS an issue, it is one of somebody (or the company) being sloppy and/or lazy. Ford can build a world-class car (like the Ford GT). Whether they CHOOSE to or not, well that's a whole other matter all together.

That's not good. I have a huge Ford dealer just 3 miles down the road.I'll have to take a look. My F250 and 350's had great paint and body work but they
are different animals.

Originally Posted By: charlesb2003
I wonder if it has something to do with them being made out of aluminum now.

Actually Ford and others have been making body parts from aluminum for many years. My 96 Merc GM had an aluminum hood and trunk lid.

Last edited:
I was interested to see this topic because I was looking at a new 2015 Ford over the weekend and was surprised by how bad the body looked. I was surprised at the fit and finish being so poor.

Come on now mouth breathers? I am sure that the hourly employees there are more than happy to build nice stuff but they can only do so much. If management bought [censored] dies from the lowest bidder and it stamps out other than perfect parts then the Quality control manager says they are good how is that the UAW's problem?

Oh well, maybe we need some college educated stuck up nose breathers who drink tea with their little pinky in the air like yourself in there loading the parts into the robot cell.

Originally Posted By: splinter
Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
Don't put the blame on the UAW. The workers can only do so much with the tooling and materials that management gives them!

That's the spirit! QC isn't my problem and the POS rolling down the line is going sell to some fool regardless. I gots mine.

Telling how I insisted upon a Sierra with a Fort Wayne UAW sticker affixed to its door jamb, no "blame" mouth breathers throughout the ranks notwithstanding.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
They've done it right many times in the past (the hood on my Expedition is aluminum) and the results have generally been excellent save the issue of paint adhesion.

I personally, have not taken a look at one of these new F-150's, but it isn't an issue with Ford being capable of doing it, if there IS an issue, it is one of somebody (or the company) being sloppy and/or lazy. Ford can build a world-class car (like the Ford GT). Whether they CHOOSE to or not, well that's a whole other matter all together.

I think this is probably the problem, Ford cheap out on making body panel correct way(cheaper stamp machine and/or cheaper roll of aluminum sheet), may be they cut corners to save few bucks. But, when they charge upward $50k for fully loaded F150 they should do better job.

If you're paying $50k for this aluminum body F150 and seeing the imperfect body panels what do you think ? I would be pretty upset.

My S2000 has aluminum hood, no obvious problem that I can see, the paint matches with other body parts. I do like the lightness of the aluminum hood, it is much lighter then the steel hood of 2014 Accord. Yes, the Accord hood is a little bigger(probably 10-15%) but I think it probably weights twice as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back