2011 Nissan Sentra 2.0L Amsoil SS 5W-30 15,341 mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to everyone that has replied. Your input has been great. As to the oil filter, it is something I have always wondered about. I am using the Amsoil so it is a matched set - oil and filter - but before the Amsoil I was running the basic NAPA silver coupled with PP and a 5k OCI. The filter is soooooo small on this vehicle I wonder how it can do its job. I think it should be at least twice the size it is, but what do I know.
smile.gif

I like the K&N air filter. I have used these types of filters for well over a decade on several vehicles and have faith in them. The other Sentra driver that replied also had high silicon and he runs a paper filter so I think it might just be something inherent in the engine.

This is a great vehicle and I want it to last as many years as possible. After reading all the responses I will likely go to a 12K OCI. Should I stick with the Amsoil filter or Is there a better option for the SSO oil and 12K OCI?

Amsoil oil filter is the best option for that OCI.
If it were my car, I'd ditch the K&N TONIGHT and use a paper filter. My oil & filter interval would be 10K--remember, you said you wanted it "to last as many years as possible"

If you are going to use the K&N make sure to use the proper amount of oil specified on the website and remember that they will function very well even when they are dirty. You could take a K&N filter completely caked in a layer of dirt and it should still flow more CFM than a stock air filter.

You will at least get a small increase in efficiency if you leave it in for longer and don't open the box for inspections.

Many people over clean the filters, they can last much longer if you had a filter minder to know when it was time to clean it.

My relationship with K&N has been good over the years. I have used their filters in two vehicles with over 180K on them and two more with over 100,000. I put all the miles on those vehicles also. I have actually been using them since the 1990s with no issues.......geez I'm gettin old........

Thank you for the input. I will likely stick with the Amsoil filter, although I would like it to be a bit larger.

K&N has great warranty support, but keep an eye on your filters gaskets, as i had one that got brittle and fell apart after maybe 10 years?

When they sent me a replacement for it i just sold it and now i am in low with my PureOne air filter and i think it will be in there for at least 30k before i put another PureOne in.

You keyed in the one aspect of the K&N that I think some people miss......the amount of oil to use when you clean and re-oil. It takes me two days to clean and re-oil my filter. I take great care to wash it correctly, let it dry, re-oil and make sure any excess is removed. I've gotten pretty good at it over the years.

A12K OCI, Amsoil oil filter and the signature series oil is the way to go..

Right or wrong I have always had a bias against the orange can Fram. I just can't bring myself to purchase any filter from fram. I like a Wix and that is why I used to use the NAPA. I don't recall the exact price I paid for the Amsoil filter but I will say it was somewhere in the $12 range.

I use the aerosol filter,oil spray.

Since fram has installed the computerized quality inspection system i worry much less about the issues in the past but still don't like the orange can because of its lower efficiency and cheaper construction.

I would not hesitate to use a Tough Guard or Ultra. Tough guards use a synthetic blend material, which is superior to almost all cellulose only filters AFAIK. I am way past the fiber end caps , since some filter don't use any at all and seem to do just fine. I firmly believe now that the fiber end caps can help media distortion due to the higher flexibility than steel.

I'm sure you have seen and heard how great the Ultra is and i have never had a problem with their air filters, have been using them in my Taurus since new.

I won't try to sway you but remember all this oil and filter stuff is technology. It is constantly evolving and changing. If Fram starts to make junk again i would call them on it but they seemed to have stepped up their game in more ways than one.

Notice i am not using any Fram products right now except my Taurus air/cabin filter, so i am not being bias here.

I think any oil filter will go 15K miles on a non-sludged motor. It's asking a lot of any oil to go 15K with just 4 quarts though. K&N air filters sometimes get a bad rap on here but it's hard to argue with the guy that went a million miles on a K&N installed on his Chevy pick up. The engine had regular oil changes but no rebuilds so the the air filter works IMO. 1,000,000 miles on 1 air filter.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
15k is pushing it on a cellulose filter without inspecting it, but its entirely possible.

OEM recommendation for a Mazda3 air filter is 30k...

It doesn't matter how many CFM a filter can flow if it's way more than the engine can intake, or IS intaking.

Originally Posted By: LexAtlanta
I like the K&N air filter. I have used these types of filters for well over a decade on several vehicles and have faith in them. The other Sentra driver that replied also had high silicon and he runs a paper filter so I think it might just be something inherent in the engine.

Just to point this out:
-Past history of use is no measure of performance
-the other sentra driver doesn't drive your car
-past history on other vehicles have UOA reports?

Originally Posted By: brandini
15k is pushing it on a cellulose filter without inspecting it, but its entirely possible.

It doesn't matter how many CFM a filter can flow if it's way more than the engine can intake, or IS intaking.

I was speaking of 15k oil filter changes with cellulose filters.

I would not worry about 15k fci on an air filter, should be easy for most anyone.

Originally Posted By: brandini

I was speaking of 15k oil filter changes with cellulose filters.

I would not worry about 15k fci on an air filter, should be easy for most anyone.

Ah gotcha. And even then I wouldn't worry that much. BMW has had cartridge style filters of cellulose for a long time and has extended drains. I'd only worry on an engine with a questionable past/known sludger/known to be dirty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back