2011 6.7 Dodge Cummins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BigJohn
If it were my truck, it would get a regular diet of T6 for its life.

Guess that would depend on the application. Cost wise. For instance, my Cumminns ISX takes 44 quarts per oil change, changed between 20,000 and 25,000 miles (timing of when the truck is by the house for service), and does around 140,000 miles a year. Look at the price of T6 from your favorite outlet and figure what this would cost per year, then compare that to the synblend I use from my local supplier for a little over $11 a gallon delivered free to the house (price up from original post). Engine now has over 800,000 miles on it with good UOA's. Figure the cost for that time frame.

Nothing against T6. Just most people really don't need to shell out that kind of cost for good engine protection.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Originally Posted By: BigJohn
If it were my truck, it would get a regular diet of T6 for its life.

Guess that would depend on the application. Cost wise. For instance, my Cumminns ISX takes 44 quarts per oil change, changed between 20,000 and 25,000 miles (timing of when the truck is by the house for service), and does around 140,000 miles a year. Look at the price of T6 from your favorite outlet and figure what this would cost per year, then compare that to the synblend I use from my local supplier for a little over $11 a gallon delivered free to the house (price up from original post). Engine now has over 800,000 miles on it with good UOA's. Figure the cost for that time frame.

Nothing against T6. Just most people really don't need to shell out that kind of cost for good engine protection.

That makes good sense for you.. I'm pretty sure the OP's dodge ram doesnt take 44qts...and he doesnt drive 140000miles.

15qt's x 1-2 times a year is a different $$$ equation.

also how to do you plug in your heaters at work?

15w40 is reallly thick at 0f but still pumpable.

On the 5.9s,the 7500 mile OCI wasn't a stretch by any means.

On the 6.7 you're correct,I wouldn't run it that far unless you're going to have it analyized. The 6.7s seem to have an issue with fuel dilution.

7500 miles should be a "zero" issue on good ol Dino oil and even 10K should come easy. Since you have a 2011 and no DEF, the oil soots up at a much quicker rate and that is the reason for more frequent oil changes. Just about any brand of oil will work just fine. If it were me, I would run whatever was on sale. There are guys running a bypass and doing extended OCI's even on the DPF trucks with great results. I am a true believer in Amsoil (25,000 mile oil changes on my 04 Dodge Cummins), but as frequent as the oil needs changed on the DPF trucks the boutique synthetic oils are a waste of money.

There is nothing special about Valvoline Premium Blue just because there is a Cummins symbol on it. All it is, is marketing for both companies just like Mobil and GM. As for the engines making oil because of fuel dilution, Dodge says up to 6% is perfectly fine. If you think that is bad, Ford says up to 7% is fine on the new 6.7 PowerCroak.

Originally Posted By: NavyDood
7500 miles should be a "zero" issue on good ol Dino oil and even 10K should come easy. Since you have a 2011 and no DEF, the oil soots up at a much quicker rate and that is the reason for more frequent oil changes. Just about any brand of oil will work just fine. If it were me, I would run whatever was on sale. There are guys running a bypass and doing extended OCI's even on the DPF trucks with great results. I am a true believer in Amsoil (25,000 mile oil changes on my 04 Dodge Cummins), but as frequent as the oil needs changed on the DPF trucks the boutique synthetic oils are a waste of money.

There is nothing special about Valvoline Premium Blue just because there is a Cummins symbol on it. All it is, is marketing for both companies just like Mobil and GM. As for the engines making oil because of fuel dilution, Dodge says up to 6% is perfectly fine. If you think that is bad, Ford says up to 7% is fine on the new 6.7 PowerCroak.

^^^ VPB is no better or worse than Delvac, Delo or Rotella IMHO. Run whatever is the cheapest CJ-4 oil you can get your hands on. Don't these things have a oil change indicator/monitor on the dash? I would just follow that and keep your receipts from your oil changes...just in case.

I would run delo in it. whatever kind you want syn or dino. All the pumps at my cardlock (chevron) has a 5% biodiesel sticker on them. Its been that way for almost a year now. Our fuel has never gelled and ive taken some what i think was summer fuel and have let it sit in some pretty cold temps and not have had a prob before. Being in bc you will be able to find delo very easily. Set up an account at your local cardlock and you can get a very good price on it. Rotella even in the t5 version is more than the dino delo. Here at least.

Actually my four sweepers were started the other day all with summer fuel and they started just the same as in the summer. And they all have delo in them and have since birth.

Last edited:
If you are thinking of Amsoil, try Amsoil 'OE' 15W-40.

Cost-effective solution to 7500-mile intervals.

Another cost effective solution if you are going to adhere to the 7500 mi OCI for warranty is Schaeffer's.
Their 15w40 is a syn blend and carries the CES20081 spec with less than 1% ash. Very affordable.
They have a full syn 5w40 too but more money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back