2006 Pontiac vibe 1.8 1zze auto help!

I am having an extended crank starting issue only when the car is warm and has sat between 5-15 min only.
What I have confirmed that is good or replaced- new injectors, maf within spec, ECT within spec,new pcv valve, purge valve is good, no air leaks as it would’ve showed up in fuel trims. new cam and crank sensor, plugs look good, air filter clean, fuel trims within spec. No misfires or codes, not sure where to investigate next but if it was the fuel pump it would show up in fuel trims also when I changed the injectors I didn’t purge the gas out as I wanted to see if there was pressure after it sat an hour and there was quite a bit.

Last edited:
I had a 2003 and 2008 Pontiac Vibe. Neither had that issue.
But I also had two 2001 Honda Civic, and both had something similar. For both of the Civics it was a faulty Engine Coolant Temperature sensor. A shot in the dark here, but may be worth a try. The logic behind this is still a mystery to me, but the fact is - both vehicles were fixed with new ECT sensors.

Last edited:
about 5-7 cranks to start, none of the lines in the engine bay are hot to touch. I think I will focus on the throttle body readings next with the scanner I just don’t have any specs for those at all. Just doesn’t make sense because if I shut it off and start it a minute later it starts normally, lol

Last edited:
about 7 cranks to start, none of the lines in the engine bay are hot to touch.
Hmm? Maybe it thinks its a race car, and just building oil pressure before combustion!;)
Maybe have quick look underneath too, although usually the gas and brake lines aren't too close to the exhaust...

I can see from the engine bay it gradually gets further as it exit’s underneath but I shall go take a look. I think I am left with fuel pump, throttle body. There was a recalll for some vibe with extended crank issues back in the day, they updated the ecu with better fuel tables. I have had this issue since I acquired the car and it has a 130,000 kms on it.

Some type of crankshaft position sensor issue? Not knowing how things are aligned won't let it fire the plugs

I will go and reproduce the extended crank scenario right now but this time when I go to start it I will push the accelerator down all the way to clear out the fuel command and report back to see what happens.

So does this suggest that I have no injector pulse? TPS sensor is all good, also my stft at idle is plus 6 and -10 Ltft.

Last edited:
I've noticed the same duration of extended cranking before starting on many other 1zzfe Toyota engines as well as it's little 1.5 liter sibling 1nzfe made by Toyota. They are prone to fuel injector varnish buildup. A strong fuel system cleaner added to the gas tank usually solves that issue if they aren't too clogged already. Another known issue is the fuel pressure dropping too low as the car is parked due to a worn valve in the fuel line. I test for that by pressing the gas pedal down only about 1/8" before cranking/starting the engine after it sits a few hours or longer... just enough pressing to open the butterfly valve in the throttle body slightly, no more than that. If it starts much sooner doing that, its likely a low fuel pressure issue after sitting a few hours or more. Good luck!

It starts normally any other time, only after 5-15 min of sitting only does it give me this issue. Brand new injectors.

Last edited:
Back