200-300K + on cheap dino?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think turbos need syn oil, because the oil in the turbo bearings cooks after you shut the engine off. For most cars: I think decent quality oil changed frequently is 100% OK.

I recall my 1970 Duster had about 130k when I sold it, still ran great.

Last edited:
Do you NEED more than Dino? In all honesty no, not if it has been changed at constant intervals. I am pro synthetic but it is not vital for most cars. In some engines it is a MUST.

I'm not even sure if Turbos need more than dino, with the quality of SM dino. Just regular OCI, good quality fuel and clean air filters. Look at some of the Subaru posters here with good results on dino.

Does this need to be
18.gif
again.......i agree with RT.

My 89 Caprice has 498,000km's (309k miles) on dealership dino 5w30, still running good and passes the etest, however I've just switched it over to synthetic since I want it to last 400-500k miles and I sometimes drive harder than the average person. I've also seen a 98 Saturn SL1 that had 455,000km's (282k miles) on dino oil still running great and a 94 Lumina van 3.1 TBI with 575,000km's (350k miles) on dino still not using an oil.

All these vehicles made it a lot of miles on regular oil but I feel that synthetic could make a several hundred thousand mile difference as to when the engine might actually fail. So it could in theory save me hassle in doing an engine swap or finding another cheap car if it keeps my Caprice going to 700,000km's when maybe it would have failed at 550,000km's? People can state their opinion all day long, but its all in what makes you feel the most comfortable.

Originally Posted By: oliveoil
Do we really need anything other than good old dino? Who has lots of miles on just dino?

My neighbor just donated his 99 Chevy Silverado.

It had 324,000 miles on cheap dino.
shocked2.gif

Never had the engine opened up and it sounded great.

Brother used to have a 92' F150 w/ the 302. The first 200K it was fleet maintained with Dino. Between 200-252K, the truck had ZERO oil/filter changes. He would only add a qt when it started knocking. Truck still ran good when he sold it.

That may be more of a testament to the truck than Dino oil, but still, this was all on Dino.

170K on a company 93' F250 w/ the 351. [censored] maintenance as well, that one blew the engine finally.

190K on my 88' Towncar when I sold it, motor was still great when I sold it.

212K on my 78' Caprice, same story.

Brother's 94' Accord, all Dino. Last few changes were 13-19K miles apart!! Still ran fine when it was repo'd
lol.gif
at 164K miles

I like using syn myself, but will use Dino without hesitation, especially with .49/qt or similar deals.

I bought an 85 K20 Suburban in 1994 at a GSA auction. It had 70,000 on it. Don't know what oil the Forest Service used but I put another 245,000 on it using Castrol conventional oil. Put in a new Goodwrench 350 a year ago and expect to get a heck of a lot of miles out of it. Using Castrol GTX now.

If OCIs are keep to about 5000 miles I believe dino will run an engine way down the road, but if the owner doesn't abide by that, as my friend did with his late 80s Mustang, massive sludge can form and nix the engine. My friend drove a lot of miles on his job,50,000 miles+ a year. He simply overlooked his OCs, at times 12-15,000 miles, and cooked the engine with 130,000 miles in Maryland on the interstate. Lost the oil pressure, had it towed to a garage where they discovered the heads and pan were filled with sludge. New engine was installed and thereafter he went with synt. oil. He retired the Mustang with 500,000 miles total to his garage where someday he plans to restore it.

SM Dino @ 3k = 300k I started using Havoline 5w20 because it's great oil. No need for anything else at 3k-5k oci's.

I ran 2 1986 Volvo 740 Turbos well past 200k with just regular Dino. Never had to have a turbo rebuilt, nor any engine problems at all. Regular Dino is fine. Ran an old 1985 Honda Civic well past 100k miles on 10w40 oil. Under the valve cover it was spotless. And these 2 cars used old school dino as well. Todays is far advanced and great for all vehicles.

My car has 270000 miles and is still going on the original motor .My other car has 192000. I use supertech oil or whatever i find on sale and whatever cheap oil filter I can find.I have tried to use better filters (anything but fram)and my oci ranges from 3-5000. Works for me.
Its knowing when to change it rather then which oil you use. I have gone 15000 mile oci in other vehicles running synthetic as long as you change filters every 6 months and top off. This whole website is full of paranoid mock engineers . The real mechanics are too busy fixing broken motors to bother. I have learned a lot here ,but mostly about filters. Oil is oil except when it comes to synthetics and all them are about the same too. We are not driving race cars and if we did treat our cars like that , they break. Sending our oil to labs is just plain stupid imo. Why not just take that money and change the oil or save it for a new motor. I don't get it .I think it just gives some people something to do.

I also have never had a motor break in 1,000,000+ miles of driving . luck? I think not.

Whoooo Now chad8, don't be so hard on da community here. We exchange ideas and data here and that makes us aaaaa....interesting inquisative friendly people from all over da world! You seem to know what you are doing and I for one am interested in what you have to say. So thanks for participating, and doing it with passion and knowledge.

I got 166k on dino. Sure oil consumption and leaks are there with dino oil, but if you keep the oil level above min, your engine will last along time.

I got 460K KM (287.5K miles) out of my 4 cylinder dodge caravan from the 80's. It had the despised 2.6 Lite Mitsubishi engine and was fed nothing but Dino and most of it SH rated.
shocked2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back