2 Stroke: 40:1 or 50:1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
It depends on your 2-cycle oil.

I have found some formulations require a 60:1 ratio (in a 40:1 spec) because of the chemistry used.

I increase the fuel to oil ratio until I hear that lean-out "popcorn" sound.

MolaKule... How do you accomplish this? Add fuel to, let's say, a 40:1? Keep adjusting from same gallon/sample?

Originally Posted By: Finz
Was reading an Opti-2 thread here not long ago, and that could be what got me to thinking about this more maybe...?

If only I could find that earlier thread... Was numerous pages with all sides represented and no point of view was forcefully discounted

Wish I knew more about this stuff...

I don't participate on those discussions any more, have found that most people are set on their way and not willing to even consider trying anything different and OPTI-2 is different, and to a point I understand, jumping from 30 years+ of using 32:1 to using 100:1 will look at first glance that you will be destroying the engine in no time and only an idiot will destroy an engine knowingly so, but, technology keeps advancing and we shouldn't dismiss it from the get go just because we are not familiar with it, heck if my uncle were alive he would have slapped me unconscious if he saw me using less than 8:1 in a 2 cycle because in his day that was already lean on oil, I grew up around 32:1, then went to 50:1 later, and contrary to common sense it is the oil manufacturer that knows best the ideal ratio for their oil, some oils must not be mixed higher than 32:1 or will foul the engine some you can go as fat as 8:1 and it is OK by them but not higher than 50:1, others like Amsoil Saber Pro doesn't like more than 50:1 and as high as 100:1 and here is were OPTI-2 goes weird, it is 100:1 for everything, I have tried 80:1 without any fouling but the engines get heavy, slow to rev, they sound un-happy, IDK how to explain it then I go back to 100:1 and once they burn the excess in the crankcase they come alive again. Another thing will be if I were using a highly strung engine, kart engine for example, then I'll use 12:1 or more oil and it will probably will be de-gummed castor oil since the engine will wear out long before clogging anything.

With my Echo weedeater that is about 15 years old I use Costco regular unleaded gas and Red Line 2-stroke racing oil at 50:1.

I'm not changing something that is working just fine. I press the priming bulb a couple of times and it always starts on the first pull.

By the way Fitz that is the way I end up tuning a non-adjustable carb, start with the factory mix and go a little less oil at a time until it goes lean under load and return to the previous mix and write it with non erasable marker in the tank together the oil brand and type to avoid costly mistakes.

Originally Posted By: super20dan
opti 2 highly overrated. i tried it for several years. no benifit and high cost. amzoil is far better.

I have found the opposite works better for me, I like the Amsoil too don't get me wrong and I have tried the Saber Pro., the Interceptor and even the Dominator, but after tuning the carbs for the mixtures the Opti-2 works better for me, it could be altitude, humidity, the brand of fuel I buy, etc., and I use Amsoil Signature in our cars. What works for one person not necessarily works for another. And the case of OneEyeJack using Costco gas and Redline for 15 years might prove that we are over doing all this.

I just went through a year of ~70:1 Amsoil Sabre with fantastic results. The plugs all look good, The exhaust isn't getting clogged up with unburnt oil, no issues with performance etc.

This year, I'm going to try a 40:1 mix using Amsoil Sabre and bring it to 32:1 with MMO since my Lawn Boy equipment calls for 32:1. The remainder of my equipment is 40 and 50:1.

I always use 93 Octane Shell V-Power with less than 10% ethanol and the appropriate dose of Seafoam. Always looking for a magic number for my equipment.

16:1 or 24:1 is absolutely ridiculous in this day and age. More oil equals more carbon which scores the piston/cylinder and decreases compression.

Use 50:1 in all Echo trimmers and blowers. They are low load and don't need the extra oil. 40:1 is OK in the chainsaw, but you will likely need to adjust the carb to get it to run right which is pretty much dealer only on any newer equipment with sealed carbs.

Ive used nothing but AMSOIL 2 cycle since 1976 in my outboard motors, weed whips, leaf blowers, augers etc... at 100-1 with same gas as in my cars, never fouled a plug, exhaust is barely dirty. The new label is AMSOIL Saber but I still use at 100-1 as well. I have a friend with a landscape business and he uses the Saber at 80-1 in all his 2 cycle equipment and loves it!
Nobody likes change except a baby with wet diapers.... but chemistry does allow new ratios that might scare some people. Just my 2 cents worth too !

I've been using g-oil@ 40:1 in the ope

everything still works great. Some call for 40:1 and some 50:1

craftman cheapo used string trimmer I paid 50$ for(used)

hitachi leaf blower

toro ccr2450 snow blower

Cheap ryobi chainsaw I paid 50$ for refurbed.

Would I like to own all echo, or other even better commercial equipment.. sure but this stuff all works and I had to buy when buying a house.. so funds were limited. When it eventually starts dying off I'll probably go with better models.

I just brought home a new Echo CS450 P chainsaw today and the manual calls for a 50:1 ratio. Thats the ratio I'll use with the Echo power blend 2 stroke oil.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
I just brought home a new Echo CS450 P chainsaw today and the manual calls for a 50:1 ratio. Thats the ratio I'll use with the Echo power blend 2 stroke oil.
good oil many say same as Mystik Sea&Snow.

Originally Posted By: Finz
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
It depends on your 2-cycle oil.

I have found some formulations require a 60:1 ratio (in a 40:1 spec) because of the chemistry used.

I increase the fuel to oil ratio until I hear that lean-out "popcorn" sound.

MolaKule... How do you accomplish this? Add fuel to, let's say, a 40:1? Keep adjusting from same gallon/sample?

No, I make small batches using the ratios.

RLI's Bio-SynXtra is one of those you have to thin out.

I run 32:1 and I get rediculas long life out of my two stroke equipment. I have run it 40:1 and 20:1. No real difference, so I use 32:1. My Craftsman weed trimmer is 22 years old and the engine is original as well as carb, my echo blower is well over 25. Run oil, let it smoke. If you dont like smoke, run a four stroke. I see no sense to 100:1, other then to prove a point, like my car will run on half a crankcase of oil.

My '50:1' Stihl string trimmer gets the leftover gas from my dirtbike:
91pump mixed 50/50 with VP Race fuel C12 & Amsoil Interceptor at 32:1
no smoke at all, no plug/exhaust fouling, plus the smell reminds me of dirtbiking...

I remember maintaining separate oil/gas mix tanks, a 32:1,and a 40:1. Bought a new Stihl chainsaw and now 50:1! Did some research and ran all at 50:1 with no issues.
Just finally retired a 20 some year old Homelite leaf blower. Ran just fine the last 10 years on the 50:1.
Old habits are hard to overcome but technology does make improvements.

I use the stihl syn oil in my stihl products @50:1 I am a big fan of Stihl equipment..chain saw, leaf blower and weed wacker. ble the warranty. Is itg a gymic? who knows.

Last edited:
I chickened out last night. I decided to go with 2oz/gal of Amsoil with 1.2oz/gal of MMO for a 40:1 total mix. If anything, since MMO smells good when it burns, it will keep down the horrible smell of the Amsoil.

I never really considered MMO as something that would increase the oil ratio in a 2 cycle mix... Can't be much, right? Treated gas is 320:1 I think?

MMO is a 10w, I believe?

What weight is the 2 cycle oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back