1988 bmw 635csi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MCompact
Originally Posted By: 97tbird

On a side note, I don't think there's any other brand that attracts haters than BMW, even when they haven't owned one. Weird phenomenon.

You've got that right.

Why should this be?
Many BMWs are very entertaining to drive, attractive to look at and easy to own and maintain.
Something like my old 318i would be an intersting alternative to an old Honda or Toyota as a daily driver.
It's been that reliable and that abstemious of fuel.
The badge shouldn't inspire hatation from those who've never had one.
This car is the second BMW we've had.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
The badge shouldn't inspire hatation from those who've never had one.

It shouldn't, but it does. Just one of many stereotypes out there...

It's because a BMW became a yuppie symbol in North America in the 1980s.

But it's not only here - I lived close to 10 yrs in Germany, and it was the same there: A LOT of people I knew automatically assumed all BMW drivers are arses and aggressive drivers. (and MB drivers rich and "old"-ish)

(I didn't ask at the time, but most of them being students, etc., at the time, I doubt that they had ever owned a BMW either; not many German students drove in my class - they either biked or used public transport; the few that drove had econo-hatches)

I wrote this in another forum and I think it addresses the situation here as well:

I have a Jeep TJ and I never post snotty comments on the Hummer or Land Rover boards. My TJ does what I want it to do and I don't need to justify my choice. Ditto for my Mazdaspeed 3; I leave the guys in the GTI, MINI, Si, and WRX boards to their own devices. Again, why bother them? And as for my X3 and 3er, I feel no compulsion whatsoever to troll the Audi, Cadillac, Infiniti, Lexus, or MB boards. What's the point? The same goes for my Speed Triple. However, there always seems to be a few non-BMW owners who just have to yell "Mine's bigger!" in the Bimmer topics.

At that price the risk seems low given the entry level price, not a lot to lose. At least its an interesting car from era of really subpar vehicles IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back