1985 F-250 front hub getting hot

Vehicle is an '85 F-250 4x4 w/ Dana 50 front axle. Took it out over the weekend to go pick up a trailer, when I got home (20-30 mile drive) I noticed there was grease/oil seeping from the passenger side front hub (by the 4wd selector). When I reached down to get a closer look, I discovered the hub was quite hot-- substantially hotter than the other side, but not so hot that you couldn't touch it.

Today, I took the brake & rotor off, and disassembled the hub. Here are the only oddities I've found:

While spinning the tire with the wheel in the air, there is moderate resistance through about 1/3 of wheel spin. You can turn the wheel 2/3 of the way with essentially no effort, then it requires a firm tug to get it through that last 1/3 of rotation. This is with the hub unlocked, so nothing in the drivetrain is turning.

While inspecting the outer tapered bearing, the grease was thin and runny, and there was about 1/8" of wobble between the outer and inner ring. I don't know if this play is normal considering that the grease had thinned and run out of it (presumably due to heat) or if the wobble is indicative of a failed bearing? It shows no heat discoloration or wear of any kind, and makes no noise while turning, but does have that wobble if you grab outer & inner ring with your fingers and rock them back and forth. The other [inner] bearing (that requires removing grease seal for removal) was solid, nice and firm with grease, no issues there. I'm not too familiar with the user serviceable bearings, other than I re-pack them with grease every year or so, which works out to about 5k intervals (don't drive the truck much). Don't know if any amount of play is normal, I'm more used to the sealed variety.

Brakes looked in fine condition. Nice even wear on the pads, no sign of excessive heat, discoloring or cracking of any kind. The rotor is new enough that you can still see the crosshatch pattern on the rotor face-- I replaced it only a few thousand miles ago. Perhaps the slide that the caliper moves on could use some lube, but I noticed nothing out of the ordinary here.

What should I begin with to troubleshoot? Thanks in advance.

The outer bearings support the weight of the truck as it rolls. The inner bearing turns only in 4x4 operation.

There should be no wobble and only a small consistent drag. I am assuming of course that you had the brakes completely removed while turning the hub.

Last edited:
I didn't detect any wobble when the wheel was on the truck. The wobble, or play in the bearing was only present when I was manipulating the outer bearing by hand-- wiggling the outer and inner rings back and forth.

When I mentioned the resistance to turning, this was with the brakes and wheel installed. I just spun the wheel with it in the air, and it required more effort to move through about 1/3 the rotation. Made me question whether the rotors might be warped, but they're nearly new. Once the brakes were removed, the hub and rotor (they're attached together by the wheel studs) turned straight and true with no noise, play or resistance.

On this application, I'm fairly certain the inner and outer bearing both support the weight of the truck, on both front and rear axles.

Bearing doesn't have to wobble to be bad. The sealed bearings I've had that went bad would get loud but no play. Where these are servicable I'm guessing they are set too loose.

From what I've read bearings should be set with preload to take out play. Not sure what is required on these bearings (what does the service manual say?) but tapered bearings seem to be "spin the hub and tighten down until drag, then back off slightly".

But if removing the brakes removes the drag then it's runout on the rotor. Maybe it isn't sitting flat on the hub. With the pads off I'd spin the hub and see if you can measure the runout by eye, just look at the distance from bracket to rotor.

Last edited:
My first thought was bearing od brakes dragging .

I would lube the sliding parts of the brake system . Brake grease is pretty cheap and a container should last you a long time . Make sure all the sliding parts slide properly .

Since you have it apart , I would check the cost of bearings & seals . If reasonable , I would replace them as preventive maintenance .

Sounds just like a bad bearing to me. If it were me I'd replace the bearings and races and be glad it didn't leave you stranded out on the road.

bad bearing for 1/3 of the revolution with no noise and no wobble? bearings click and creak or rumble, and for resistance like that while rolling they'd be howling. I'm leaning towards a dragging brake, for my $0.02.

Back