1982 Honda 200 3-wheeler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a line on one. It has been setting unmoved and unused in a guys pole barn for the last 5 years. He claims it ran like a top when he pulled it in last. A few months before he put it in storage he put on two new rear tires and had the carb. rebuilt. Bought a bigger four wheeler and now wants to clean space out. He only wants $200 for it so I figure its not a bad gamble to take. What say you guys. Just want it for pulling a portable sled & shanty combo for ice fishing and running back to the back end of the woods now and again. Any thoughts? I found a top end rebuild kit online pretty reasonable so if worse comes to worse...

Those Honda 200 engines are bullet proof. I have one in an 83 XR200R dirt bike that still runs great. It has never been rebuilt yet.

Sounds like a pretty good deal. I love the old 3wheelers; I own three of them, two of which are Hondas. You may try the guys over at 3wheelerworldforums dot com if you need any help once you pick it up. Great bunch of 3wheeler nuts over there.

200s or 200x? the "s" was a rough ride and the "x" was a pain (literally) to kick.
Both were fun rides.

edit: just realized the 200x wasn't available until '83.

Honda ATC200. I bought it last night. I pulled the starter and the piston moved easily, so it is not seized or anything. Other than lack of brakes and a bad front tire it looks great. I am anticipating a new fluids, spark plug, carb cleaner, starter fluid and a whole lot of pulling. He kept the thing drained of all gas when he stored it and even drained the carburetor so here's to the fingers crossed. I talked to a small engine mechanic at work who has rebuilt them in the past, he told me if it wasn't seized up it was worth the $200, becasue he did not think it would take much to get it running. These things are outrageous used even at 26 years old. Found some online the cheapest was $500 and it looked like [censored], most expensive $1200 (I am not joking) from a dealer that was in ok condition. I'll keep updated.

250 Big Reds go for $1500 or more in good condition around here. I put in many an hour on a friends when we were in elementary school. For simple transportation in the woods they sure do the job!
Ian

you bought an ATC200s, it was an update to the ATC185s.
automatic clutch, pull rope start, front only suspension. bulletproof bikes.
check the air filter, it is foam and like to crumble when left sitting.

it's interesting that they cost $700 in 1982, adjusted for inflation that would be $1400 in today's money. there is no japanese atv that I know of that sells for $1400 today.

What oil should I fill it with? It asks for a 10w-40, any HD 10W-40, or a specific motorcycle oil? Thanks.

The 200s was an update to the 185s, the 200(without s) was slightly bigger. I've got an 84 200, great to play around with and great flotation. These motors are very good, they will probably survive on anything. Last time i changed the oil i used Rotella, I believe that is still a good choice.

Got it running with a new plug, some carb cleaner, starter fluid, and a whole bunch of pulling. Just need a new front tire so I can see if it moves, but at least the engine runs, a little rich right now but we'll adjust it. I'll keep you guys up to date. Any recommended places for tires? I found what I needed (25x12-9) at rocymountainatv.com for $39.99 plus $7 S&H, the cheapest so far. Thanks.

Those Honda 3 wheelers are literally indestructable. We own two of them, a 185 and 200E Big Red. I'm never picky when choosing oil for these machines. Most of the time I just go through the cupboard to find whatever 30-40 weight oils we have left over. Most of the time its usually some type of 5W-30 mix. Don't be picky when choosing oil for these bikes because you can literally run just about any oil you have laying around the garage. As for tires, the best tires I have ever ran and still running are the cheap Cheng Gshin knobbie tires. Believe it or not those knobbies grip just as good as those expensive big brand tires.

I got a 1982 Honda ATC200 for Christmas one year, I know exactly the ATC your talking about and that motor is bulletproof. They were slower than the 185s, but they were tanks. The 200s came along later, it had front suspension. The 1982 had nothing. They are built for a young man. The back brakes were a weak spot and they often hung up. The problems is the shaft that runs into the shoes to spread them, it gets corroded and pitted, disassemble the back brakes and clean the shaft off with sandpaper and apply anti sieze and your brakes should work fine. The front brakes just suck because of the cable set up, but front brakes are for "Skeerdy cats " anyway.

Originally Posted By: lobo11
I found what I needed (25x12-9)

Yours is a BigRed. More of a farm implement than a toy. It should have racks on both ends.

The play trikes used 22x11x8 tires.

The most common problem on Honda's of that vintage was the electronic Ignition box failing. Honda calls it a CDI box.

So I got the tire on (see post about slime), drained old oil, put Valvoline 10w-40 ATV oil in, added some Seafoam to the gas and ran her. I needed to run her at half choke for a bit, but after she warmed up, not necessary. As I drove it more the shifting improved and throttle reponse improved as well. I think the more I run it the more things will improve. The oil looked pretty dirty after the run, so I think I will drive it for a bit then drain and refill again as I imagine that will take care of the old [censored] that must have loosened up. So far $200 for the machine, $45 for the tire, $6 for oil, $2 for plug. Next up chains for the snow and ice so I can pull that ice shanty. Thanks guys.

Oh yeah, what should I use to lube the chain? The manual called for 90w gear oil if I remember right, but if you guys have suggestions I'll take them. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back