‘16 Pilot under the hood observations

Headed to Florida tomorrow (600mi one way) from Texas and was poking under the hood checking fluids and everything. Couple of things I’ve noticed, and not sure how long they were present.

1. Some sweating on the accessories belt tensioner, not sure if it’s hydraulic, but sweating is present.
2. Again, sweating and substance that is quite sticky and greasy on the coolant or AC line (not sure which one it is).

So the question is, how bad are these and how soon it needs to be addressed? Any concerns going on a 1,200mi trip?

Thanks everyone

IMG_2497.jpeg
IMG_2495.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
The "line" in the left hand picture appears abraded, not merely sticky and greasy, to me.
I’ve smeared some of that “grease” and that’s why it looks like that. I’ve had it wiped completely after taking a picture and it looks like normal aluminum line

Could be grease from one of the serpentine belt pulleys
I believe it’s the coolant line since it goes into the radiator and gotten hot pretty quick after I’ve started the engine. Just not sure where would the “grease” come from on the coolant line

You didn't say how many miles on the vehicle, but it my experience if it is near 100k, I would change out the serpentine tensioner. Not because the spring is weak, but more than likely the sealed bearing is probably getting tired.

Last edited:
is it the same as above it? looks like a shadow version of the same rusty like substance.

1691008664081.jpg

You didn't say how mnay miles on the vehicle, but it my experience if it is near 100k, I would change out the serpentine tensioner. Not because the spring is weak, but more than likely the sealed bearing is probably getting tired.
My bad. I’m at 75k (almost 7yrs old) and would likely have it done when doing the timing belt. Any idea on the other line sweating?

My bad. I’m at 75k (almost 7yrs old) and would likely have it done when doing the timing belt. Any idea on the other line sweating?
The line appears to be refrigerate line running to the condenser. The substance could be refrigerant oil especially if there is a coupling on the other side of the rubber mount. Can you post another picture of that line where it terminates?

The line appears to be refrigerate line running to the condenser. The substance could be refrigerant oil especially if there is a coupling on the other side of the rubber mount. Can you post another picture of that line where it terminates?
Coupling on the other side of the foam/plastic mount is bone dry, at least I couldn’t see or feel any grease below the foam spacer. Really hard to get a good picture but that’s what I managed to snap

Attachments

• IMG_2498.jpeg
    IMG_2498.jpeg
    120.1 KB · Views: 20
On my civic when one of the a/c lines started to go, I had this oily residue around the end/side of the foam insulation, exactly like @Wrenchturner44 said there was a coupling on the other side.

It might be nothing, but it might be a leak. On mine the coupling was wet.

Also, it appears that there’s “grease” on the exterior of the plastic mount as well,l

Coupling on the other side of the foam/plastic mount is bone dry, at least I couldn’t see or feel any grease below the foam spacer. Really hard to get a good picture but that’s what I managed to snap
Its definitely a refrigerant / AC line. If the AC in the car is cooling ok, wipe the line clean and then keep it an eye on it while on your trip. I don't think it is anything to worry about for now. Safe travels. Check your air in your tires, and make a note to also check on the tensioner when you return.

Its definitely a refrigerant / AC line. If the AC in the car is cooling ok, wipe the line clean and then keep it an eye on it while on your trip. I don't think it is anything to worry about for now. Safe travels. Check your air in your tires, and make a note to also check on the tensioner when you return.
Thank you Sir. I’ve double checked and it looks like the foam itself (that centralizes the pipe in the mount, I don’t think it serves any other purpose) is dry, as well as the bottom of the foam centralizer next to the coupling. The grease I’ve wiped off of it was more like copper grease you’d use on the brakes. I’ve had injectors replaced around 50k, so there’s definitely someone else was under the hood. As far as the cooling goes, knock on wood but haven’t had any issues, 45F or so from the front vents here in Texas heat. I guess I’ll keep an eye on it and see what transpires.

Tire are inflated, all fluids checked.

That trip to Florida is like being a runner use to doing 5K runs and suddenly doing a 26.2 mile marathon.
Joking!

Thank you Sir. I’ve double checked and it looks like the foam itself (that centralizes the pipe in the mount, I don’t think it serves any other purpose) is dry, as well as the bottom of the foam centralizer next to the coupling. The grease I’ve wiped off of it was more like copper grease you’d use on the brakes. I’ve had injectors replaced around 50k, so there’s definitely someone else was under the hood. As far as the cooling goes, knock on wood but haven’t had any issues, 45F or so from the front vents here in Texas heat. I guess I’ll keep an eye on it and see what transpires.

Tire are inflated, all fluids checked.
Parshisa, one other thing to check when you get back is the cabin air filter if so equipped and especially if you have never previously replaced it.

Last edited:
Parshisa, one other thing to check when you get back is the cabin air filter if so equipped and if you have never replaced it.
Thanks for the note! I change those cabin filter once a year, and that was on the list when I get back. Along with the oil change and tranny D&F!

Back