Urgent help needed - Ticking Chrysler 4.7

Let me guess, a valve seat came loose. The 4.7s are famous for this.
Surprisingly, no. Head is in fantastic shape.

The bore was worn severely on the thrust side of cyl 7.

IMG_8855.jpg

That’s a bummer. Something of a rarity. I presume the “right” answer is to swap engines?
That’s the goal. I would like to 5.7 swap, and it seems like it would be decently easy to do that.

Sticking with the 4.7 would be stupid especially given it’s nearly impossible to find EXHAUST MANIFOLDS for it.

I passed on buying a 2012 ram 1500 with 217K miles, because its 4.7L had a tick that came and went. It was quiet at times but when it started ticking it sounded very very catistrophic. If it wasnt for your thread I probably would have bought it for the $2800.

On yours I wonder if a skirt broke.

I passed on buying a 2012 ram 1500 with 217K miles, because its 4.7L had a tick that came and went. It was quiet at times but when it started ticking it sounded very very catistrophic. If it wasnt for your thread I probably would have bought it for the $2800.

I’m not sure really what went.

As you know, i got the head off. I just went out there and checked today as i was curious to see if i could find anything else wrong.

Long story short, i rocked piston 5 back and forth. Some movement, nothing too excessive most importantly with no noise. I used Piston 5 as it was at nearly the same height in the bore as Piston 7.

Get to 7, noticeably wobbly. I move it to one side, then to the other and get a loud CLICK.

I’m swapping in a 6.4 SRT V8 from a GC in a few months once i get my dad’s life insurance in (he just passed away last month and he wanted to do that to this truck anyways.) We’re moving to TX soon and i’m probably going to try and put a new piston with new rings in just to move it out of the driveway and around town. If it blows up it blows up, i really don’t care at this point. I have roadside assistance for a reason i guess, LOL. Here’s a video:

I’m also happy to help prevent you from buying a crappy truck, lol. I’m very happy with the GMT800 Tahoe i just picked up a couple months back. Runs like a top for 2500.

I’m swapping in a 6.4 SRT V8 from a GC in a few months once i get my dad’s life insurance in (he just passed away last month and he wanted to do that to this truck anyways.)
Sorry to hear about your dad!

When you get around to doing the swap, please start a new thread so we can follow along.

Back