10 Kmiles OCI, 5 kmiles FCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to stir things up. After spending lots of $$ on various vehicles with UOA, I have come up with the conclusion that I am wasting perfectly good oil if I drain before 10K miles. I ran one to 20K and it still had TBN and additives left. However the cost of the UOA far exceeded the cost savings of extended UOA. My compromise is to stop at 10 Kmiles OCI, and change the filter at 5 Kmiles. The reason for this is that some unmentionable USA,Euro, and Japanese cars, are vulnerable to sludge so the filter change helps. and I happen to have 2 of those cars. So far, using superior oil and changing the filters, I am good.

(disclaimer, if in warranty, FOLLOW THE USER'S MANUAL)

I'll disagree. If you have a sludge-prone engine, the "cure" is to change the material that tends to sludge...which is the OIL. The filter doesn't have to be changed but every other OCI, especially if you keep non-sludging oil in the sump.

Another way to put it...don't depend on a filter keeping your sludging problems in check...THAT is not the filter's job.

I just pulled and drained my M1 filter w/4k on it and it will go out another 6k. Make sure to depress the ADBV to clean it out.

Depress it with what? Anything small enough to fit in those holes I'd be scared would mark or damage the nitrile/silicone.

Just run a synthetic,if you are concerned re sludge. You could run M1ep and an M1 filter.

Originally Posted By: Titan
I'll disagree. If you have a sludge-prone engine, the "cure" is to change the material that tends to sludge...which is the OIL. The filter doesn't have to be changed but every other OCI, especially if you keep non-sludging oil in the sump.

Another way to put it...don't depend on a filter keeping your sludging problems in check...THAT is not the filter's job.

ditto

This thread tought me a lesson. "Change the oil and the filter on every OCI".
crazy2.gif

If it's a cheap entry level filter, I would change it out every oil change. For 6k OCI's, while using a quality filter such as M1, Amsoil, PureOne, or another well made filter, I would not hesitate to skip on changing the filter and do it every other OCI. I would however take the filter off and let the oil in it drain out before re-installing.

"However the cost of the UOA far exceeded the cost savings of extended UOA"

Yep, which is why I stopped doing them after 10 years of playing around with them. Unless you suspect a problem you are wasting your time trying to get good wear metals etc etc from your OCI by performing UOA. It makes no difference in 200,000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back