$1/qt at autozone

Status
Not open for further replies.
I placed two orders. The second I placed was canceled, the first one still says processing. Not too optimistic.

I stopped by two AutoZones today (about 20 miles apart). The first one had no deals. Fully stocked with SynBlend. The price tag on the rack in front of every row said $4.00, but there was a "sale!" tag over one of them that said $4.99 (what a deal!). They all rang up at $4.99. M1 AFE rang up at full price.

The second AZ had a bunch of stuff tagged at $1.00 (mostly Castrol products). The Synblend was gone. I bought all they had left. 2 quarts of 5w50 black bottle and 3 quarts of 5w20 gold bottle. The AFE rang up at full price. There were several ATFs marked $1 as well, but the shelves were empty. This store had probably 10 different oils and ATFs marked at $1.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jakegday
Originally Posted By: Dallas69
All you guys had to do was get off your bottoms and go to the store
It really is not too hard

no, thats not all we had to do. cuz thats what i did, and had no luck..

I did and found no killer deals in 2 local stores. Virtually nobody in So Cal had any luck in getting $1/qt in-store for any brand and/or any type or grade.

I didn't take any bottle or jug to have price scan, I just look at the price tag. I didn't feel it is right to ask for price scan when the price tag are posted.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I didn't take any bottle or jug to have price scan, I just look at the price tag. I didn't feel it is right to ask for price scan when the price tag are posted.

I did at all 6 stores that I visited and they all scanned at normal price (same as the tag on the shelf). No deals in the Houston area. It does make me wonder if I could take the cancelled order to a local store (all of them had dozens of bottles of SynBlend) and see if they will honor it...

Online order canceled, too. Went by local AZ and got 3 quarts of Castrol 5w-40 and one quart of Havoline 5w-20 for a buck each. Mobil 1 rang up at regular price. Castrol Transmax regular and high mileage for a buck each, but don't have applications for those.

Went to check out with 27Qs, it rang up $168. I just looked at the clerk, she looked back,,,,,, I then pointed out that it was $1 a quart. Had to walk back to the well marked rack to verify. Geez!

My wife and took a 50 mile trip to my son & DIL's house to drop off some Christmas gifts. I hit three AZs on the way. My wife thought I was absolutely nuts. None had any $1 quarts but several had 5 qt. jugs of the Castrol Semi Syn. I asked if the manager could sell me the 5 qt. jugs for $5 since he didn't have any quarts left. He thought about it for a minute and I thought I had him ready to agree. But, alas, he said he really couldn't do it. Oh well. I saw the Castrol Semi Syn slots marked from 6.19 to $6.99 per quart. Do stores have the latitude to set their own prices? If not, why the price difference?

Still waiting on my orders. 1 for 20 qts & 1 for 28 qts. From the sounds of things I'm not very optimistic I will receive anything. The storwhole near me was all sold out too. Oh well I guess.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4

I did at all 6 stores that I visited and they all scanned at normal price (same as the tag on the shelf). No deals in the Houston area. It does make me wonder if I could take the cancelled order to a local store (all of them had dozens of bottles of SynBlend) and see if they will honor it...

How did you feel after they scanned and came up regular price ? I didn't like to be in that position, it would make me look bad. I am sorry to say that, but it is my reason for not asking the 2 stores to scan anything. I don't mean to put you in an awkward position.
cheers3.gif

Hit 6 AZ's in the Denver area today. Couldn't help myself, plus, it's Christmas.

8 X 5qt jugs of Mobil 0w-30 AFE @ $5/each
12 X 1 qt Castrol Titanium Edge 5w-30 @ $1/each
9 X 1 qt Castrol Titanium Edge 5w-20 @ $1/each
10 X 1 qt Mobil EP 0w-20 @ $1/each
5 X 1 qt QSUD 5w-30 @$1/each
3 X 1 qt PP 5w-20 (natural gas kind) @ $1/each

I also tried to take a receipt for the Mobil 0w-30 AFE to WalMart as proof for price matching and because it wasn't in an ad they wouldn't let me.

How did you feel after they scanned and came up regular price ? I didn't like to be in that position, it would make me look bad. I am sorry to say that, but it is my reason for not asking the 2 stores to scan anything. I don't mean to put you in an awkward position.
cheers3.gif

I did the scan thing and one of the three came out as $1 instead of $3. So I came back and got a few more scanned.

I know what you mean about feeling embarrassed, but it's business. You're the buyer and you want a deal. They are clearing out oil and may not have marked everything correctly.

If you feel the need to explain, you can tell them there are clearances going on at many Autozones and you were told that the system might be updated before the price on the shelf is.

I went to 4 today with varying success. My biggest score was 8-gallon jugs of MaxLife ATF for $5 each. Pretty happy with that purchase. Also got about 4 quarts of 5w20 gold bottle Edge and about 15 of black bottle 5w50.

I didn't find any Mobil products on clearance. One of the stores had Mobil Super on sale for $3/quart.

There really doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to what one store has on sale. The four that I went to were all within 20 miles of one another and no two were the same in regards to clearance items.

3 stores here, and no luck. Met another horder at the 3rd store. We got to talking a bit. He and his buddy are up to around 300 quarts - they've been running all over the Twin Cities.

I am officially done. At least I have a few cheap OCs.

There are some bottles of M1 EP 0/20 around, a few isolated bottles of Havoline 10/30 or 10/40. Not much else. The Valvoline ATF fluids are getting hit hard as well.

Some stores (certainly not all) have the AZ brand full syn for 5.00 per 5 qt jug.

Went to two Autozone locations after work today.
First store I scored :
9 qts of 5W20 - Valvoline Durablend for $1.00 @
and
6 qts of 5w20 - Mobil 1 Synthetic High Mileage $1.00 @

Second store I scored :
8 qts of 5w20 - Valvoline Durablend for $1.00 @
and
6 qts of 0w40 - Castrol Edge - Made in Belgium - $1.00 @

I haven't seen Durablend ANYWHERE here on clearance, but my buddy managed to pick up 6 quarts. I'd kill for a deal like that on some Maxlife ATF though, I haven't seen any of that on clearance either.

cheers3.gif

Meh...more or less shrugged it off and just concluded that Houston area AZs were not REALLY participating. It did not bother me in the slightest as AZ, OR, and Pep frequently have online sales and the local shelf pricing is not adjusted accordingly and vice-versa. I have been in AZ and picked up the MS5K deals that were not advertised online.

With that said, and now that it has been stated by AZ in their "apology" for the cancellation that Castrol is discontinuing SynBlend, I cannot help but think all of the AZs around me will follow suit on the pricing in short order. I just need to be patient and diligent about checking in on them. There are two on the way to work (that had loads of SynBlend), so I will routinely check until I see the SynBlend clearing out and will stock up at that time.

Originally Posted By: KenO
I haven't seen Durablend ANYWHERE here on clearance, but my buddy managed to pick up 6 quarts. I'd kill for a deal like that on some Maxlife ATF though, I haven't seen any of that on clearance either.

Valvoline Dexron VI, Mercon V, Dex / Merc, CVT are all $1 a quart.

Can you use any of those instead of MaxLife?

Originally Posted By: aa1986
Originally Posted By: KenO

Valvoline Dexron VI, Mercon V, Dex / Merc, CVT are all $1 a quart.

Can you use any of those instead of MaxLife?

Oh ya, I bought all of those. But MaxLife is amazing awesomesauce ATF
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back