0W 40 Chevrolet Tahoe

I didn’t think so, so I wanted to confirm. Makes sense. I’m going to change it tomorrow. Suggestions on filter? I’m reading the regular ac delco pf filter is crap now and to get the UPF one. Also see Wix comes highly recommended.
The delco pf filters are sucky to me because they're overpriced for what they are, The supertech MP filters are cheaper and better but so are the, stp, and wix ones. I have the fram tough guards installed right now. Great filtration to 20um at 99%.

I would not worry about damage with the recommended 5w30. But if it sounds better with 0w40, that's what I would run... it's basically a thick 30 grade.

0wx40 good oil.
Mobil 1 or Castrol.
I ran it once in my GMC 5.3 no problems.
I am using 5w 30 hm mobil 1 extended next

I would not worry about damage with the recommended 5w30. But if it sounds better with 0w40, that's what I would run... it's basically a thick 30 grade.
The commercial 0W40s such as Delvac, Rotella and Pet-Can Duron are quite a bit thicker than most of the automotive offerings.
They are expensive and viscosity at drain time must be in grade over a longer service life.

Wasn’t U-Haul known to run 15W-40 in all their GM LSx engines despite the 5W-30/0W-20 recommendation from GM?

I see zero downside in using Mobil 1 0W40 in that engine. Some might say you'll see a slight drop in mpg, honestly I doubt you'll notice it.

Lots of people on here are using the Mobil 1 0w40 in these engines. I have a gen III but currently running a jug of RGT 5w20 but topped off with 5w30 since it holds 6 qts, it just went over 120k without any lifter ticks or piston slap provided that I occasionally drive it. I didn't for a month or two so it had to pump the lifters back up but it's been fine since driving it more regulary.

I wouldn't worry so much about the AC Delco filters, yes they redesigned them and lots of people are not happy but I've used them and haven't experienced any issues whatsoever. I've used the PF46e but the newer gens switched to metric threads on the filter.

No, they use 15w-40 because they only have to purchase and stock one grade. Same as mixed fleet vehicle operators.
And this happens all the time. I've seen many Modular Fords, 4.6/5.4 2v live long healthy lives, 200-300k with nothing but the bulk barrel 15W-40 Rotella. Literally happens in many fleet shops.

Back