0W 40 Chevrolet Tahoe

I have a 2013 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3. I did an AFM delete on it and they used Mobil 1 0W 40. I recently changed my oil and used the recommended 5W 30 but it’s starting to get a slight tick again. It wasn’t there prior to oil change ( it was my first since the delete)
I emailed the shop who did the delete and they told me to follow what’s on the receipt. I’m just curious why I would use 0w-40 and if this is going to make a difference in the sound or if it’s even a good idea. Thanks!

Because these engines weren't really designed for 30 let alone a 20 grade. It's why i run 40 grade in mine. Smooth as glass.
**** I have so many people on Chevy forum telling me ONLY 5w 30. So 0w-40 should be fine? I mean it drove fine home after the delete and until I got this recent change last month.

Gen III and Gen IV LSx, you live in a warm climate, 15W-40 that thing.

In Winter (Buffalo) I run 5W-40 Rotella T6.

They like 40 wts.
I’m in MA. I keep getting told they only like 5w-30 by people on the Chevy forum🤦🏼‍♀️ so 0w 40 must be fine since I had no issues up until I changed back to 5w30. Hopefully I didn’t screw myself doing that

**** I have so many people on Chevy forum telling me ONLY 5w 30. So 0w-40 should be fine? I mean it drove fine home after the delete and until I got this recent change last month.
They're brainwashed. Ignore them. You yourself can clearly see that's the case. Zero issues with a 40 but problems with a 30. So why even bother listening to those fools.

They're brainwashed. Ignore them. You yourself can clearly see that's the case. Zero issues with a 40 but problems with a 30. So why even bother listening to those fools.
That’s exactly why I came here. Hopefully I didn’t do damage but I’m going to get it changed tomorrow.

That’s exactly why I came here. Hopefully I didn’t do damage but I’m going to get it changed tomorrow.
Damage no, But in the long term theses engines live longer and healthier with a 40 grade. I have a combined 564k on two of these engines since new. Never had any metal inside replaced. They run like new to this day. And i extend intervals to 10k. Use 40 grade euro and diesel oil.

Last edited:
I would put it this way. 30 and 40wts in Gen III and IV LSx are both fine. It depends upon the motor.

My 2005 Suburban is the OE L59 flex-fuel 5.3 it left the factory with. 220k on the clock. It used to have some noisy lifters at start. Replaced the pickup tube o-ring and threw a new oil pump in (while it was cracked open). This motor is whisper quiet on 5W-30. Its stock as can be so I leave it.

My 2005 Tahoe on the other hand, has a LQ4 6.0 out of an Express van. It has LS6 valve springs and a mild cam. It is quietest on a 5W/15W-40. I have ran 5W-30 in it with no pressure issues but a little more valvetrain noise. Alternatively, I have ran 15W-40 in the Suburban and noticed no ill effects.

Find what works best for you. At the end of the day, these things don't really care and will take whatever.

The "model-specific" forums love to regurgitate owner's manual lines and whatever is for sale for 6qts+filter at the local auto parts store. Not necessarily bad advice, but not great.

Damage no, But in the long term theses engines live longer and healthier with a 40 grade. I have a combined 564k on two of these engines since new. Never had any metal inside replaced. They run like new to this day. And i extend intervals to 10k. Use 40 grade euro and diesel oil.
Ok thanks good to know. Does it matter if I do Mobil 1 or should I pick another brand?

If you're in MA, swing by a Tractor Supply, get some Traveller 15W-40 for Spring/Summer/Fall (warmer months). Good and cheap 15W-40.

For winter months, pick your favorite 5W-40 or 0W-40 M1.

You can also run 0W-40 M1 year round. Your choice. Biggest is probably the cost.

Ok thanks good to know. Does it matter if I do Mobil 1 or should I pick another brand?
M1 0/5w-40 euro is good but you can use any other brands 40 grade euro oil or any 15w-40 in the warmer part as i do. And i try to snag some cheap euro rated oil for the other half of the year. Quaker state euro 5w-40 is what i have shelved right now. Have run it before with the same great results.

15w-40 is fine for mild cold and summers but it has more hths than euro oils, about 4.1 on average instead of 3.6. Yesterday i drove my truck about 4 hours in total and the engine was still dead silent after stopping to fill up with the engine running in this texas heat. A lot of oils will thin out bad after being run hard on the highway going up to 85 then stopping and accelerating in traffic in summer heat. But no 15w-40 has a higher hths and great flash point.

Last edited:
And i try to snag some cheap euro rated oil for the other half of the year. Quaker state euro 5w-40 is that i have shelved right now. Have run it before with the same great results.
I may have to look into some Euro 40wts once I deplete my Rotella T6 supply for my winter oil changes.

I may have to look into some Euro 40wts once I deplete my Rotella T6 supply for my winter oil changes.
Euro 40's have similar add packs. They aren't phosphorous constrained and euro oils are sometimes dual rated for diesel and gas engines without using c(x)/s(x) identifiers. But having that rating in the list. But for a gas engine a euro oil is plenty good.

My son's 2013 5.3L GMC 1500 has 202,000 miles on XW40 and the longer 2014 and newer filter.
Summer; 15w40. Winter; either 0w40 or 5w40. Its had SAE 30 & 40 a couple of times.
F&R diffs 80w140. T-case D3M atf. Trans; Dex VI 3X.

If you're in MA, swing by a Tractor Supply, get some Traveller 15W-40 for Spring/Summer/Fall (warmer months). Good and cheap 15W-40.

For winter months, pick your favorite 5W-40 or 0W-40 M1.

You can also run 0W-40 M1 year round. Your choice. Biggest is probably the cost.
I don’t mind the cost, I don’t put more than 6-8,000 miles a year on it. I’d rather just keep it the same year round. It doesn’t say dexos on it, is that ok?

I don’t mind the cost, I don’t put more than 6-8,000 miles a year on it. I’d rather just keep it the same year round. It doesn’t say dexos on it, is that ok?
Yes. You aren’t going to find a dexos 40wt oil.

Euro 40's have similar add packs. They aren't phosphorous constrained and euro oils are sometimes dual rated for diesel and gas engines without using c(x)/s(x) identifiers. But having that rating in the list. But for a gas engine a euro oil is plenty good.
Good to know. Thank you.

Yes. You aren’t going to find a dexos 40wt oil.
I didn’t think so, so I wanted to confirm. Makes sense. I’m going to change it tomorrow. Suggestions on filter? I’m reading the regular ac delco pf filter is crap now and to get the UPF one. Also see Wix comes highly recommended.

If it's just for 6-8k a year then use a single grade. I'd use any 0/5w-40 euro or diesel year round.

Back