'08 Honda Civic or '09 Toyota Corolla?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you, Bill. IF the diesel were not more expensive to aquire, it might make sense. OR, if you are going to drive it 500,000 miles in 10 years or less, the Diesel MIGHT be more cost effective...as I would think it would surely last that long, whereas it's unusual to have a Gasoline engine last that long without some re-building. Much longer than 10 years, and either will have other issues that would make it inherently more likely to be unsatisfactory in terms of reliability or ride quality.

Bought a 09 Corolla S this past week for mu mother in law. I also drove the civic. I didn't think my mother in law would like not being able to see the hood of the car from the drivers seat only being able to see the road in front of you. The Corolla at least you can see the hood a little bit. After 250 miles this past week, It works and is comfortable.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Originally Posted By: ShiningArcanine
Originally Posted By: ProfPS
I am considering getting a daily commuter that will last until the doors fall off (>10 years). I have narrowed it down to these two with auto transmissions which are very close in MPG, hp, size, and safety. Which one is preferred and why?

Thanks.

I suggest waiting for the 2009 Honda Accord Diesel. It will get 52 mpg highway and should pay for itself through the fuel savings you will have over its life time depending on the length of your commute.

Not to mention, Honda is rated #1, so a Honda would probably be a better choice than a Toyota right now. This is coming from someone who both drives and loves a 1995 Toyota Avalon that has been in his family since 1995.

With Diesel being 70 cents a gallon more than gas, it will take forever (or close to it) *IF* you see any savings over a gas 2.4l Accord.

And the forcast is for diesel to be close to $5 a gallon and never below $4 starting this driving season.

Thank the low sulfur requirements and the refinery getting more gas out of each barrel than diesel.

If they did not charge any more for the diesel, then yes I'd go for it, but for a $4-5k more.. Nope.

Take care, bill

I saw diesel for $4.10 a gallon, independent truck drivers are threatening to strike.

Quote:
I saw diesel for $4.10 a gallon, independent truck drivers are threatening to strike.

It's $3.89 here (went up a dime overnight).

It will be over $4 by the end of the week *easy*.

Gas will be $3.50 by the end of this month I'd say and close to $4 by end of May.

Originally Posted By: ChromiumSteel
At the Portland auto show we sat in a new Corolla. The HVAC controls were incredibly cheap. Further confirming my sons(journalism major) point that Toyota is becoming the next GM.
I own a 2006 Tacoma it already is the next G.M.

Quote:

The independent trucker won't strike cause the over the years they have really never been able stick together. It is a really tough business. The "to me" fear is when the Mexican trucks trucks start appearing on our highways like the illegals crossing our borders. .Then the independents will have a problem. But then so will our company drivers as it will be not be a problem to run the major corps from Mexico

Go for the Civic. My relatives just bought an 09 Corolla and I couldn't stand the interior. The interior materials just felt cheap overall. Although it was well put together. I've been in a new Civic and the interior felt and looked nice.

The Corolla drove nice though.

i dont go by interior i go by track record.. go with the corolla... they are better built all around. imo... honda autos are getting questionable year by year... thats just my thing, i have seen the abuse a corolla can stand and my gf has one, we will get another one if hers decided to die or want another car.. great trannies, great motors! or you can get picky and decide that the honda looks better so thats the better car (pfft)

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
So of all the folks here commenting on how the 2009 Corolla drives ever drove one? (A 2009 is a TOTALLY NEW MODEL)

I like my Corolla (oh sorry, appliance) and for $14k out the door, there is not a better 40+ MPG EASY to work on car out there. (overall MPG for 100k is 43mpg)

Never had a problem and its never been back to the dealership for anything in 104k miles.

Nice simple car. For my 6ft 5inch frame its no problem to drive for hours on end.

To the OP, I'd wait at least 6 months if you decide on a Corolla to make sure they get everything right.

My dads 2001 new redesigned Civic was a problem child. 2002 they were a lot better.

Take care, bill

X2, my gf's is an 05 99k miles and is abused. runs like a champ. like with any car do the correct maintanence and you will be fine.. i didnt like the car at first bc i like the honda look but after driving hers and seeing what it can put up with and take it, ill stick with a corolla.. great lil cars

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mikeg5
i dont go by interior i go by track record.. go with the corolla... they are better built all around. imo... honda autos are getting questionable year by year... thats just my thing, i have seen the abuse a corolla can stand and my gf has one, we will get another one if hers decided to die or want another car.. great trannies, great motors! or you can get picky and decide that the honda looks better so thats the better car (pfft)

Better built? I think they are both about the same now based on what I've seen. Honda has Toyota beat as far as design goes.

If anything, it's Toyota automatics that are becoming more and more questionable by the year. Have you paid attention to the news lately? You seem to be about four years behind. Honda automatics are getting better and better every year. They learned their lesson about four years ago.

yeah the hondas look better.. ill agree with that but you would have to show me proof of the tranny issue.. ( i am not dougting you, i just want to read it myself) thanks critic

yeah the hondas look better.. ill agree with that but you would have to show me proof of the tranny issue.. ( i am not dougting you, i just want to read it myself) thanks critic

I'm not seeing any widespread failures from the 04+ Honda transmissions from the Odyssey, Acura, and Honda boards that I go to.

uh is this bc they dont have the miles on them that the older models have??

On the forum that I moderate, we have many that have over 60k already.

A good number of the failure prone automatics failed before 60k, often not long after 30k.

Not trying to contradict the statement that corollas are great cars, but I'm curious what this abuse we're hearing about really is? In particular, are your girlfriends really treating the cars in such a way that you'd expect other cars to sustain damage when the corolla does not?

Just curious because you seem to be implying that the civic couldn't stand up to the same "abuse" and I'd be interested in any information you have backing that up.

i never said that civics wont hold up to abuse i was just saying i know for a fact that the corollas can.. my gf (before i met her) her car had 70k miles on it and all of that is hard city driving with little maintenance.. and i mean LITTLE maintanence. she is hard on the gas and hard on the brakes. other corollas that i know that really get abused are from some of my friends. if they get an oil change within 10k miles i would be surprised... i am merely giving my opinions here guys just like the rest of you.. i am sold on corollas even though they seem kind of girly to me but after driving them and seeing how easy they are to work on.. ill take one in a heart beat..

I'm with Critic on the tranny's. I bought an 02 V6 Accord, the terrible years for auto tranny's, and it was fine up to about 100K. Out of warranty, took it to the dealer and they offered to replace the AT for only 500 bucks. It's like Honda knew about the problem, tried to save their imagine by not going public, but helped out the consumer at the dealership. I sure as #ell haven't seen Ford step up to the plate like that with their notorious 5.4 plug spitting engine. I also have a 06 Accord V6 auto and let me tell you, Honda has redeemed themselves nicely. That is the smoothest shifting car I've ever owned. I'm also a member of the board that Critic moderates and will vouch for him, the 7 generation Accords' trannies have been flawless.

OK, that makes sense. Didn't mean to sound combative and like I said, I've got nothing against corollas, just wanted to see what kind of stuff you were talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back