0-20 and MPG Increase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys.. He already made the trip and is back..

Originally Posted By: tig1
We got back home this evening and it seems that the 0-20 got about .75 to 1.0 MPG better than I have have ever had before on this trip. Going to Florida I got 33.6 on the mileage minder which I have never had that high before. We used the AC about 1/3 of the way down. Coming home was less,31.6, but we came back a differant way and stopped in Columbus, Ga. to visit friends. We traveled through eastern Alabama today to Birmingham on 280 which goes through several towns and many red lights. Also the the All in all I diffently see a little MPG increase with the 0-20AFE.

Originally Posted By: M1Accord
I think it is more accurate to hand figure the MPG over 5-7 tank fulls not just one. However when I go the Gainesville I only require 2 tanks of gas.

What's your Fusion's range capacity? I drive from Nova/DC and it takes more than 2 tanks to get to Miami. That's just one way. If you require 2 tanks each way, than I would do a hand calculation as well.

Watch your traffic and speed. You don't want your gas saving pays for some cop's bonus.

By the way, 2500 rpm sounds high for your vehicle at that freeway speed. I was thinking more of 2200-2300 for most family sedan.

If the speed limit is 70 I set the tach at 2500RPM and that's dead on 72 MPH. That's what I ran all the way down to Florida except here in Illinois where it's 65.

The big gains for 0W20 will be on short trips and cold starts not highway cruising.

With the vehicle fully warmed up and cruising at 72 mph how will the 0W20 be much different than 5W20?

To answer my own question 0W20 is slightly thinner across the board.

The difference is pretty small:

Mobil 1 5W-20
SAE Grade 5W-20
Viscosity @ 100ºC, cSt (ASTM D445) 9.0
Viscosity, @ 40ºC, cSt (ASTM D445) 50.1
HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC (ASTM D4683) 2.77

Mobil 1 0W-20
SAE Grade 0W-20
Viscosity, @ 100ºC, cSt (ASTM D445) 8.5
Viscosity, @ 40ºC, cSt (ASTM D445) 44.8
HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC (ASTM D4683) 2.6

I won't deny that the Mobil 1 AFE 0W20 may have saved some fuel, but unless weather and other conditions were close to identical each trip (similar temperature, wind speed and direction, air pressure in tires, tread depth, same tires, A/C usage), that 0.75-1 MPG is circumstantial. Sorry to be the bearer of "iffy" news, but science is science!
wink.gif

I agree with the previous post that the gains are more likely to be seen in short trips and cooler weather until the engine reaches operating temperature.

I also agree that slowing down 5-7 MPH will yield far greater gains than AFE could ever hope for.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Use pen and paper (gallons used vs miles traveled), check the ODO for accuracy and post both values.

I've never had a vehicle that was within a MPG or two of the actual MPG on the "readout".

Can't argue with the actual data.

Be SAFE on the trip!
thumbsup2.gif

Bill

You are right about the on board MPG indicater. I usually get .9 to 1.0 MPG less when I figure it by hand. It has been very consistent that way over many tanks of fuel both hwy and local driving. I use the on board numbers as a guide line, but again it is consistantly 1 MPG higher. I make this trip every year at this time so the fuel should be the same formulation year to year.

Me too! Every time I check the MPG in my wifes Lexus, the Lex MPG indicator reads higher than when I figure it out with a calculator by about .5-1.0 mpg. If the MPG inside the Lex's reads 18mpg, I'll figure it with a calculator and only get 17mpg. Almost all the time. Only once in awhile will both the fugures come close by about .2mpg and I don't know why...I usually use the same station and pump(whenever possible).

Originally Posted By: Colt
When Toyota went to 0w20,the manual stated an 0.4-0.6 MPG gain.
I doubt it.

Without question. I think its more about $$ when you get the vehicle in for service. (we need to remember that very FEW people change their own oil) When you can take the service charge and triple it but only pay maybe twice as much for oil (and I doubt that most stealers will be putting in 0w-20) $$ for the service is great! The Subaru dealership that I went to did not even have the 0w-20 oil in stock. What are they using for all the 2011 Foresters? 5w-30 syn that they carry in bulk. (I asked) They stated that in the future they will carry the 0w-20 in bottles and have 5w-20 in bulk for service. (and you bet they will charge the 0w-20 prices in EVERY service)

IF 0w-x oils increased MPG even 1/3 of an MPG ALL manufactures would be stating that you HAVE to run it to make the EPA happy. How much are car manufactures looking for that tenth of a MPG? On the Focus they have the grill close for aero reasons at times. There is no way that is going to increase MPG even that much but it makes the numbers look better for EPA reasons.

Bill

On the Focus they have the grill close for aero reasons at times. There is no way that is going to increase MPG even that much but it makes the numbers look better for EPA reasons.

Bill

That's awesome! I bet previous incremental mileage improvements were pooh poohed when they came out. Go Ford!

Maybe this means the end of stupid drag-inducing trunk spoilers too, at least stock.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
On the Focus they have the grill close for aero reasons at times. There is no way that is going to increase MPG even that much but it makes the numbers look better for EPA reasons.

Bill

That's awesome! I bet previous incremental mileage improvements were pooh poohed when they came out. Go Ford!

Maybe this means the end of stupid drag-inducing trunk spoilers too, at least stock.

See for me I'm a keep it simple person. I'd rather NOT have gimmicks like that but Ford is doing whatever they can to get "points" on the scale to keep the numbers as high as they can for the average.

What happens when those shutters in the grill stay closed? In a 100+ degree day?

Those shutters will cost more in insurance costs since they are the first things to be taken out in a accident.

No thanks.

Take care, Bill

Bill,
The way to do it is like an old Volvo.
A crank under the dash raised and lowered a screen in front of the radiator! [this was mostly for winter heat]

And one more thing.. not only accidents, but what about snow and ice for that vari-grill?
When it actuates while frozen, something will break, just like a power window can strip it's mechanism in winter.

Originally Posted By: mva
The big gains for 0W20 will be on short trips and cold starts not highway cruising.

With the vehicle fully warmed up and cruising at 72 mph how will the 0W20 be much different than 5W20?

All I can say is I have made this trip several times using 5-20 and 5-30 M1 oils and I got the best MPG with 0-20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back