Redline 5w-20 VOA.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are numbers from my virgin 5w-20 sample. The viscosity is off, Redline lists is as 9.1, its coming in at only 8.3 cst. I find it strange that it comes from the bottle with sodium and potassium in such high amounts, a bit of lead and tin, and iron and aluminum as well. Dunno if oxidation and sulfation are supposed to be there but they are. So is soot, what the heck would soot be doing there, and what do they classify as soot. Sounds like they are recycling used oil or something - j/k.

Virgin #'s

Iron 2
Chrome 1
Moly 591
Aluminum 3
Copper 0
lead 4
tin 1
Boron 0
Silicon 11
Sodium 25
Zinc 1037
Potasium 25
Nickel 0
Silver 0

Soot 14
Sulfation 11
Oxidation 10
Nitration 0
Viscosity 8.3
TBN 11.5

Antifreeze nil
Fuel nil
Water nil

What is up with so many new oils containing so much contamination already??
mad.gif

I hate it when I see anything more than 1ppm of iron or lead in a new sample of oil.

Any chance you opened the seal with a metal object? I did that, and wow, what a fiasco I created ('Alarming preliminary results' a few months back) That's so embarrassing. Patman, can I bribe you to remove that whole thread? Just kidding: I hope others learn from my stupidity
blush.gif

Seems to me that a while back at least two other people found some sort of contamination in Redline oil-I can't remember what it was but I think in at least one case in was iron in virgin oil.

If this sample of oil was not somehow contaminated, then Redline may have a problem with contaminates getting into its oil.

Well, the sodium, potassium, and moly are fairly Redline signatures, but the boron is off, the soot and oxidation makes this analysis dubious at best, and why no phosphorus (should be about 1040) or calcium reported (approx. 2500)? Looks like lab contamination to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back