Service interval suggestion for '13 Hyundai Tucson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moved down here to El Paso and if you've been to the southwest, you know that the summers are really hot, it's windy and dusty/sandy here.

I have about a 50 mile round trip each day to work and go through a road that goes through the mountains, about 4.5 miles up and 4.5 miles down. The Woodrow Bean for those of you who are familiar with El Paso.

I believe the regular service interval are oil changes at 7,500 miles recommended by Hyundai while the severe is 5,000 miles.

I have a GLS with the 2.4 mated to a 6 speed automatic.

Hyundai calls for 5W-20 but I mistakenly put in 0W-20 last time with Pennzoil platinum.

Just wondering if I should go with the severe service interval here.

Why not. It wont hurt! Severe probably not necessary in your case. Does hyundai say 0w20 is ok? I dont see how itd hurt anyways, PP is good.

Conventional seems to still be going good at 6,000 [edit: as determined by TBN retention on a UOA] in my Kia 2.4 which is in the same Theta engine family. However, most of the time I don't get that far before I hit the time limit. If you drive a 50 mile round trip I would use the 7500 interval.

A high quality 0w20 like PP should work fine, maybe shear a little more than a 5w20. 5w20 as some have pointed out is a grade that can be made easily with conventional basestocks. 0w20 requires at least a partial syn.

If you have concerns I would do a used oil analysis (UOA) and defintely ask for the TBN test.

Last edited:
Although Hyundai calls for a 20-weight oil, suggest you consider a synthetic 5W-30 that in the higher temperatures of El Paso, will thin down to a similar viscosity as a 20-weight for the rest of us in cooler states.

I use 5W-30 in my 2013 Hyundai Sonata GLS with 2.4 engine in Tampa, Fl. Tampa averages high temperatures of 90 degrees summer months...El Paso gets even hotter with averages of 95-96 degree highs. I've been to El Paso summertime...it gets hot!

Too, I think Hyundai's recommended OCI for severe use is 3750 miles. The roads in El Paso get really hot...I'd go with severe schedule.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Although Hyundai calls for a 20-weight oil, suggest you consider a synthetic 5W-30 that in the higher temperatures of El Paso, will thin down to a similar viscosity as a 20-weight for the rest of us in cooler states.

Engine temp is thermostatically controlled. So whether its -20 or 95 out the engine is still the same temp.
Now honestly I would agree with this statement however while under warranty I don't suggest using except what they tell you. In this case its a 20 grade. So a 0w-20 or a 5w-20 is fine for warranty retention however I suggest not deviating from these grades.
You don't need to go with the severe service schedule unless the oem requires you to. Pennzoil platinum is a quality oil and on par with M1 so no need to shorten any interval.
Once warranty is expired then maybe look into going a grade thicker however I think while under warranty its a bad idea.

Reason why I went with OW instead of 5W was because I thought the oil cap had said OW but it really said 5W.

The reason why I said 5,000 miles was so it'd be easy to remember when looking at the odometer. LOL.

I'd do 5k on a conventional like YB, but up it to 7.5k if you're running a top synthetic like PP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back