PU 5w-30 GMC Terrain 3.0L V6 DI, 5,291mi, 0% OLM

Status
Not open for further replies.
2011 GMC Terrain, 3.0L V-6 with direct injection and VVT. The vehicle has 29,770 miles total on odometer. The oil in this test is Pennzoil Ultra's SM formula filtered though a Fram xtended guard XG10575. Oil was drained when sample was drawn, refill is Ultra SN. This is oil change number six. First was FF, second through fifth was PP and this is PU SM.

My main reason for the test is to see how well the Ultra held up to the expected fuel dilution of these direct injection engines.

Second reason to spring for the test is to see how healthy Ultra SM was for the Terrain since it isn't Dexos approved. I did see a cut sheet for the SN (5w-30) formula and it is Dexos approved now.

Third reason is to establish a baseline of tests to eventually increase the miles between changes. This test was done 193.5 miles after GM's OLM system reached 0%. Vehicle is 85% or so high speed highway use by my wife. And that means she drives 65MPH on someones tail and then when they finally get into the "slow" lane she passes at 80MPH. I assume GM went conservative with these OLM's since this is the first year of the Dexos spec and since most would agree that todays DI engines are rough on oil. Oil has been changed since new following the OLM, but normally around 10% instead of 0%. Unfortunately (or not) this includes the factory fill. This means i have been changing out the oil between 4,800-5,200 miles. I have never had a situation where i would have reached 5,500 miles before 0% was reached. Anyone out there with a V-6 Equinox or Terrain getting more then 5k based on OLM? I hope this finds its way to the GMC Terrain forums for others to benefit from.

I don't like seeing oil out of spec but i must agree with blackstone, as of now it doesen't seem to be causing high wear.

Comments are welcome.
Untitled.jpg

That is really good, it sheared quite a bit but still seemed to be protecting the engine. They are hard on oil as you said. Too bad you can't push it further due to the warranty. The oil could take it.

It did well, considering just HOW much fuel is in that sample - I'd say its higher than what's stated.

I'm glad to see these new GM OLM's have shortened how long it takes to get to OC time.

That is a lot of fuel! Was it hot when changed? Short trip or just idle prior to change?
What air filter & how many miles? I assume OEM original?

Hey - your viscosity is quite low for 5w-30..... 8.08. Fuel or some shear.

The other PU thread it's at 9, on 7700 miles and

The dealer just did the recalibration on my 09 Acadia OLM. It has the 3.6 DI. Before, it would have me go about 11k but I do 5k with QSUD. Even though your TBN is good, I would stay with the same mileage on this engine, mainly because of fuel dilution.

I personally would be not be as concerned if the viscosity reduction is from shear as opposed to fuel dilution (although there is the suggestion that shear might be a precursor to sludge?). On my LF1 using QSUD visc at 100*C was 8.1 after 2900 miles but fuel was >5%. (http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2476652#Post2476652 ) But I have read some opine on this forum that the GC testing method by Polaris will yield higher fuel readings than the test method by Blackstone (I forget what that method is). However, given the operational parameters of your vehicle, a lower fuel % would be indicated as compared to mine.

I thought UOA's were supposed to help clarify things?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: benjamming
That is a lot of fuel! Was it hot when changed? Short trip or just idle prior to change?

I did a ~15 mile trip to Cabela's (hunting store) before I came home and changed it. I purposely did that to get an accurate sample because I couldn't get it changed out on Friday when wife came home from work.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
What air filter & how many miles? I assume OEM original?

It does have the factory original air filter installed. Manual says something like 50,000 miles before it needs to be changed but i was thinking more along the lines of 30,000. I will probably do one more OCI with this filter and then change with the one I already bought. That way all the salt/calcium dust that drys on the road and gets thrown up from traffic after snow storms ends up in the filter i am taking out.

Originally Posted By: doyall
However, given the operational parameters of your vehicle, a lower fuel % would be indicated as compared to mine.

Are others in agreement that visc has been largely effected by both shear and fuel dilution? Or more one or the other?

Based on other UOAs with this oil in which fuel dilution was much lower, I'd say most of the viscosity loss is from fuel. Maybe 85% from fuel and 15% from shearing.

Originally Posted By: JAG
Based on other UOAs with this oil in which fuel dilution was much lower, I'd say most of the viscosity loss is from fuel. Maybe 85% from fuel and 15% from shearing.

I would have guessed right the opposite.

Originally Posted By: doyall
Originally Posted By: JAG

I would have guessed right the opposite.

Ya, seeing doyall's report and the amount of fuel there...
21.gif

There are at least a couple PU reports with more fuel and higher 100C and really, 0.8 fuel isn't rediculous compared to some DI GMs that have been posted. The rest of the report looks pretty decent to me, still a fairly new engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back