Who Makes The Toyota Oil Filter ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toyota filters are made by Denso. Toyota is a part owner of the company. The same filter are available under the Denso name. Go to Densoproducts.com. They can be ordered here. I think they are a good filter, but other disagree because the ends are thermally bonded, without the metal end caps that some BITOG members feel is a must have feature.

It's an OK filter. Not a real fine filterer--I prefer a bit finer--but flow is easy. Toyota thinks it's OK, and they don't cost a fortune.

Yes, Denso makes the filters for Toyota, my Mitsubishi also uses Denso filters (OEM). Been using them on my Evo since day one, no issues. All the Evo Engine builders all use and recommend the OEM filter for the Evo. Must be a reason for it.

I did use K&N a couple of times, but $12 for a filter for a 3K OCI seemed crazy for me. The Denso filter for $4 from Mitsubishi works for me. As it should for your Toyota.

If your planning EDI THEN step up in filter cost to a Royal Purple, K&N, M1 etc. Other than that, your waisting your money IMO.

Last edited:
True, but I never see a difference in pressure on my gauges in either vehicle (after the filter in both) on any different brand of filter I tried. Seriously I think it's a non-issue in real use.

Originally Posted By: river_rat
True, but I never see a difference in pressure on my gauges in either vehicle (after the filter in both) on any different brand of filter I tried. Seriously I think it's a non-issue in real use.

The only time you would see any restrictiveness difference between oil filters is when the oil pump is at max pressure output (ie, in pressure relief).

Most of the time, the only way you will see this is if you rev the engine up pretty high with cold oil to get the pump in relief. Then you might see a few PSI less on the oil pressure gauge with the more restrictive filter.

Like you said ... on every day normal cars on the road it's a non issue.

Even on my VeeDub with the back pressure relief after the filter I see no difference in filters. My truck has a conventional pump located relief and like you say....nada. They all seem to flow well.

Originally Posted By: alltrac
Champion Laboratories makes the TRD filter.

Some are Wix too.

I think on BITOG there was a pix of a toyo filter that had no adv....They are no better then Supertech in my eyes...

I just use Wix, Purolator, Bosch etc. Unless you do long drain (over 7500 miles) or a UOA, you will not tell the diff.

Like others have said, Denso makes a lot of the toyota filters. They for sure have a different design with the thermally bonding on the ends. I actually like this design. Metal end caps are not necessarily superior (or inferior), just a different approach. There is a bitog thread from a while back where someone tried to jimmy open the bonded ends of a Denso filter and came to the conclusion that they were pretty solid. The media quality was good and if I remember correctly, there was more of it. Toyota/Denso has the equipment to do the thermal bonding and obviously think this is the way to go. I have used Densos before and have a couple in my stash, but for convenience' sake, now I just wait to buy upper end filters from Wix or Champ labs when they go on sale. As a side note, I really like Denso air and cabin air filters. They are really well made and fit great. I buy from sparkplugs.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back