New Honda HTO-06 Oil Spec

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the introduction of the new turbocharged, 2007 Acura RDX, Honda has introduced a new oil specification, called "HTO-06."

Currently, Mobil 1 5w-30 is the only recommended service and factory fill for the new RDX.

More info here:

-

Thanks. Makes sense. One thing over looked by some that are so "pro" dino are deposits and engine cleanliness. I'm sure other oils will meet this spec that are group III based as well.

Mobil keeps acquiring these partnership deals and they are only going to increase their market share by doing so. Good business move.

The deposits are probably more detrimental in turbocharged applications due to fear of turbo "coking." The turbocharged RDX engine probably sees much higher oil temperatures than the average NA engine, hence the need for synthetic oils.

Otherwise, conventional oil works fine and minimal varnish deposits/buildup are perfectly normal, expected, and harmless to most NA engines.

Thats a no brainer of course you should use a synthetic lubricant so you don't kill the oil with heat from the turbo's exhaust side.

I bet Honda is over there patting each other on the back for it though. lol

They show a oil cap with 5w-30 and a Mobil oil bottle with 10w-30...

Also it states ONLY Mobil 1 met the new standard but then futher in the text and on the oil cap, use Mobil 1 or equivalent ..

If Mobil 1 only meets the standard, whats equivalent?
rolleyes.gif

Our local honda dealer would put in 10w-30 out of the drum and call it equivalent.. Like they did when I asked them about putting 10w-30 in my dads Civic when it called out and said on the cap to use 5w-20..

There will be alot of confusion on this I'd bet.

quote:

One thing over looked by some that are so "pro" dino are deposits and engine cleanliness.

Buster, I am pro Dino and have no problem with how my engines look and RUN after 100k, 200k and soon to be 300k.

Just as clean as if I was running Syn.

You DO NOT have to run Syn for long life clean motors.

You may, I don't.
cheers.gif

Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

[ August 01, 2006, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: Bill in Utah ]

I don't think it's an issue with the SM approved oils. For longer drains, I'd use a synthetic.

Bill in Utah if dino oils are so good show me one 0w30 dino oil that meets military specification mil-prf-46167d and that you can put in A Detroit Diesel 2 stroke combat engine and run at from -50f to 90f ambient temperature.

And show me a 5w40 dino oil that meets military specification mil-prf-2104h and that you can put in a detroit diesel 2 stroke combat engine and run from -30f to 120f ambient temperature.

Apples to oranges. We are discussing combat engines. Automotive engines do not/may not require such oils.

quote:

Originally posted by androbot2084:
Bill in Utah if dino oils are so good show me one 0w30 dino oil that meets military specification mil-prf-46167d and that you can put in A Detroit Diesel 2 stroke combat engine and run at from -50f to 90f ambient temperature.

And show me a 5w40 dino oil that meets military specification mil-prf-2104h and that you can put in a detroit diesel 2 stroke combat engine and run from -30f to 120f ambient temperature.

Why the !#@#$%$#@ do you have to bring that stuff into this thread?!
twak.gif

If M1 is the factory fill, does this mean the 'Honda high moly super secret special breakin oil' myth can fianlly die?

Or has Honda released the secret essence into the wild, now available to be used in mere mortal engines?

my guess is that the "or equivalent" is only in there for Magnuson-Moss tie-in sales.

lol.gif
on the 10W30 misprint. Let's hope they paid more attention when they were devoloping the spec.

Hmmm, do we think they tested Amsoil, Royal Purple, the GC/0w-30 or Redline?

Sounds like EOM advertising drivel to me...
smile.gif

Just got back from Wal-Mart.. (No, I had to go for other things...) (really!)
grin.gif

The Mobil 1 5w-30 bottles (both bottle styles and both normal and EP)
rolleyes.gif
had nothing about HTO-06 on it...

Guess its not the right Mobil 1??
confused.gif

I'll have to buy it at my Acura/Honda dealer for $12 dollars a quart ( if Wal-Mart is getting $6 a quart, you know the stealer is going to have to make more ) Mobil 1 5w-30 that meets the spec.

Glad they are there to "help" me..
tongue.gif

It's going to be funny to watch the other oils get rated for this spec.

What are they going to say when Valovine AC conventional or Pennzoil meets the spec?
lol.gif

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

PS: Thanks Joee12 for the taming the trolls!
worshippy.gif

Has Honda actually published the details of HTO-06 Oil?

Will it require Honda approval for $1,000,000+, or will it just be a set of specifications?

You guys talk about hollow written verbosity that usually goes by the acronym BEE ESS coming from Amsoil - that Acura bulletin is a real loaded diaper.

Ah 1-800 Honda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back