Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle: 2007 Honda Accord EX 4-Door
Oil: Royal Purple 5w-20
Miles on Car: 69,988
Miles on Oil: 12,128
Oil Filter: M1
Oil used/added: 0

This sample was taken while hot after a 50 mile highway run. The temperature during the change was a little below freezing. The car is driven about 100 miles a day with some city but lots of highway. This UOA was done at the Lucas oil factory in Inidana. I'm also getting a UOA done by OAI. This car has been ran on RP since first oil change. I ran first oil change by OLM.

Iron.......7
Chromium... Lead....... Copper.....3
Tin........7
Aluminum...9
Nickel.....0
Molybdenum.177
Titanium...0
Manganese..3
Vanadium...16
Silicon....21
Boron......8
Magnesium..615
Calcium....2794
Barium.....2
Phosphorus.413
Zinc.......1237
Sodium.....13
Potassium..
Water......0.6
V100C......8.8
Glycol.....(-)
Fuel....... TBN........6.9
Nitration..5.0
SAE........20
V40C.......47
VIndex.....168

Comments: Oxidation is not available due to the strong interference of ester-based synthetic. All engine wear rates normal. Moderate concentration of water present. Check for source of water entry. Resample at next service interval to monitor. Drain oil and change filter in not already done.

Very nice run. Si is fairly high, maybe check the air filter.

Oil looks like it could have gone 20k miles....

This is an excellent report. I have two Honda Accords 2003-2004 with 2.4 engine and always have used at least a quart of oil. The TBN looks quite strong and wear metals are low. I just had a report with same number of drain miles, but car has over 100 on it and the iron was at 20...with amsoil 0w30.

Oh, I changed the air filter I believe when I changed the oil last time. I don't remember what brand it was. I think it was the same filter in all the different brands boxes. I'm going to place a filter order with filterfleet.com and will get some wix filters.

This looks like a pretty darn good analysis (I am allowed to comment here right? check........check......is this mike working??)

I guess there are some intriguing numbers to me:

Phosphorus.413
Zinc.......1237

Did you leave a number out/transpose or?? That is a goofyass ratio.

Tin........7

Seems whacked. All the other metals are extremely low. And then a Sn of 7. Hmm....this beast doesn't have an oil cooler or? Something that may have tin?? I can't imagine that is coming from bearing.

Nitration..5.0

That's just wrong or we don't know the scale.

Vanadium...16

I think this is a record. Can't be right.

Maybe ask the Lucas lab. I don't think we've seen many UOA's from them.

I am no fan of Royal Purple (as most charter members here know) but I wouldn't change a thing (except the air filter once a year).

As Pablo points out ... some numbers are a bit 'odd' but you can't argue with the wear result.

I'm going to run this change out to 15,000 miles (based on whatever OAI says, if their sample kit ever gets here) with the new Royal Purple filter. The media in the RP filter looks exactly like the EAO filter's. I just bought the RP filter because Pep Boy's gives a law enforcement discount and it was something new.

Should I go ahead and change the air filter or wait until I change the oil again?

Originally Posted By: iunderpressure
Those numbers are correct. Everything fell in the normal range except water which was abnormal.

You sound pretty sure.

Seems like the P/Zn ratio is unlike any other RP we've seen.

Vanadium is an ferrous alloy constituent. Mainly in the steel to prevent oxidation. Unless there was pocket of V, it just seems strange, but it is possible.

Sn is out of proportion.

I'm not telling you this stuff to worry you, or totally doubt your analysis ~ just pointing out things that stand out. It will be very interesting side by side with OAI. I guess during my lab days, we did multivariate replicates in the 3 at a minimum, so at least if all three didn't match or 2 of 3 matched with one outlier it would cause a pause.....not that 3 of 3 is always statistically meaningful.

Here's my lab comparison from a few years ago:

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/labtest.html

I'm just saying the numbers here match the numbers on the print out. I saw them clean the machine before they tested my sample, and I asked them about calibrating it which they do with known samples based on hours of use. This lab isn't really open for high volume UOAs it's where they track their truck fleet and do all the tests on raw products coming into the plant.

I finally received the results from OAI. Here they are.

Date sampled 2-19-2009
Date testing was completed 3-3-2009

Iron.......15
Chromium...0
Nickel.....0
Aluminum...5
Copper.....1
Lead.......0
Tin........0
Cadmium....0
Silver.....0
Vanadium...0