Factory Filled 12,034 mi UOA. 2020 Honda Accord Hybrid with 15,000 mi on it

First oil change on my brand new 2020 Honda Accord Hybrid.

Factory Filled oil. I ran the oil for 7 months. 12,034 miles on the oil.

I changed the oil when the car had 12,034 miles on odometer. Right now the car has 15,100 miles.

Please, let me know what you guys think...

uulSnV3.jpg

This is my first time owning a Hybrid. I bought my 2020 Honda Accord Hybrid on October 3rd, 2020.

I learned on the Honda Accord forum that the factory filled oil is a good oil, so I decided I want to run this oil until my oil life monitor in the car says 0%! Especially as most of this mileage was highway driving. Also, since this is a Hybrid, some of the 12,000 miles was purely in Electric mode where the engine was not in use. A good estimate will be that atleast 2,000 or more of the 12,000 miles was in electric mode.

I ran the factory filled oil for 7 months. I will say 3 days short of it being exactly 7 months.

Let me clarify why you see Mobil 1 Annual Performance 5W20. It is a make up oil I added. The manufacturer calls for 0W20 to be used on this car, but my make up oil was 5W20.

At 6,000 miles on odometer, I washed my car and checked all fluids. I realized the oil level on my dipstick was a little above half. It was not at full mark. So, I got a brand new 5W20 Mobil 1 Annual Protection that I had at home. I poured half a quart in my car. Now dipstick was reading almost above max line. I ran car like this until the day I took this sample. So, that is the reason for the make up oil.

When I did this first oil change on this car, I replaced the factory filled oil with Mobil 1 Extended Performance 0W20 with a Fram XG filter.

I am still trying to decide how long I should run this current oil and if I should send a sample or not when I do my second oil change on this car.

I will appreciate your inputs.

The current oil already has over 3,000 miles on it after my road trip that was over 5,600 miles...

This road trip...

I'd say those numbers are excellent for a factory fill. Even good if it were 2nd or 3rd OCI as well. What made you run the factory fill so long? People are usually anxious to get the factory fill out before 5K or so to wash out the glitter sooner. What oil did you put back in?

What made you run the factory fill so long? People are usually anxious to get the factory fill out before 5K or so to wash out the glitter sooner.
After reading a lot on the Honda forum, the consensus is that the factory filled oil is a very good oil, so I did not want to waste a good oil and dump it like some people with new cars dump their oils under 5,000 miles. I thought, why waste a good oil?

Then I also learned that the engineers at Honda were pretty smart to let the MM help us figure out when to change our oils. Trust the MM. Also, I learned that the MM may actually be conservative and so that means even when the MM turns to zero, the car manufacturer has left room for the oil to still not be completely used up at that point. So, at 0%, the oil must actually still has some life in it. Which seem like it may be true when I see I still have a TBN of 1.9 after 12,000 miles.

Also, about half of this mileage has been road trips. A lot of highway miles, which it is known not to be too hurtful on engine oil. And then this car is a hybrid. I wish I knew how many miles I really did use in electric mode only and how many miles in normal driving mode.

Then last but not the least, I did not want to post a boring UOA that everybody has probably already seen here and so is basically normal. So, I had to take it out of its comfort zone and I had made up my mind to change the oil only after 12,000 miles on odometer.

Honda recommends leaving the FF in until the MM indicates a change.
MM starts alerting you to change your oil at 15%. Then 10%. Then I think at 5%, it says you should do your oil change NOW! Then at 0%, it says it is past due and the car starts counting negative miles.

But my goal was to go until 0% before I do an oil change as I had learned the engineers at Honda still gave some room so that even at 0%, the oil was not completely used up yet and still had some life in it. And based on my UOA, I think the oil still had a bit of life at 0% with a TBN of 1.9. It was not completely used up yet.

Thank you so much for the link, that is very entertaining reading!
You are very welcome. Thank you for taking the time to read it and see pictures. It is purely for entertainment purposes indeed to anybody who stops by to read it and look at the pictures. I am glad it was entertaining to you.

It was an amazing trip. I cannot emphasize how amazing it was to drive through some very scenic backroads that I have never been on and do not think I will ever be on again. This was in NC, Tennessee, VA and PA. The views were just gorgeous! I mean, I stopped too many times to enjoy the fresh air and the silence on some of these back roads. So peaceful.

One needs to get out more!

Then I also learned that the engineers at Honda were pretty smart to let the MM help us figure out when to change our oils. Trust the MM. Also, I learned that the MM may actually be conservative and so that means even when the MM turns to zero, the car manufacturer has left room for the oil to still not be completely used up at that point.
Not in all cases. Years ago, some owners suffered consequences following the MM on certain models. An acquaintance of mine worked as a mechanic at Honda for years but no longer works there.

No reason not to run it 12k again. As BS says, the wear metals will only get better.
When I did this oil change, I said to myself that my next oil change will be at 10,000 miles. But after reading this report, it has had me thinking that I could still do 12,000 miles again and not worry much. To support this, after what you and @jayjr1105 have said, I think I may do it.

My oil change was with Mobil 1 Extended Performance 0W20 with a Fram XG filter. Mobil 1 says that oil can go for 20,000 miles. Fram says the filter is good for 20,000 miles. So, I am thinking if I push my car again to 12,000 miles before an oil change, the oil should still be good. Since it is a good oil and a long drain interval oil, I think the oil should still be good at 12,000 miles, if I go that far again.

I will coordinate my MM with my mileage and decide when my next oil change will be. I may aim for 12,0000 again. Then send sample to Blacktone.

Most people on here would say to change it early. I disagree with that as they've formulated it for break-in.
But, i'm not sure about going the full MM to 0%...I would have done 7,500 -10,000.

Iirc, the hybrid variant uses port fuel injection so fuel dilution shouldn’t be responsible for the surprisingly low viscosity. So perhaps the Honda oil isn’t as good as thought, or maybe this interval was just too long.

Your uoa sheet says M1 AP, but the title says Honda factory fill. Is this the Honda factory fill or an oci of M1 AP? All that moly has me curious.

My apologies if I missed that info (y)

Your uoa sheet says M1 AP, but the title says Honda factory fill. Is this the Honda factory fill or an oci of M1 AP? All that moly has me curious.

My apologies if I missed that info (y)
Yes, you missed the info. The answer to your question is well explained in post #2 of this thread.

At 6,000 miles on my car, I washed my car and decided to check on all fluids in my car and top them. When I checked my oil level on my dipstick, it was just above halfway. So, my guess is they may not have filled it up all the way from factory. So, I decided I want my oil to show full on the dipstick. I had a brand new 1 quart bottle of M1 AP 5W20 laying at home.

So, I poured half a quart of the M1 AP 5W20 in the car. I checked the dipstick. It was slightly above the maximum line. So, that is how I left it until 12,034 miles on odometer when I sent the oil sample to Blackstone.

I told Blackstone that I added half quart of M1 AP 5W20 at 6,000 miles.

I made sure to provide this detail here so people are not confused thinking this oil run was on M1 5W20 AP.

I hope this clarifies things to you now.

My car takes 0W20. But what I added was M1 AP 5W20.

I currently have M1 0W20 Extended Performance and Fram XG filter, both rated for 20,000 miles in the car. But I am planning to do another oil change at 12,000 miles again and I will send another sample to Blackstone to see what they say.

Back