Oil suggestions for a 1988 Ford Festiva?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was wanting to see if anyone has had any experience with these cars. I went to the amsoil site and the product lookup guide recommends 40wt oil.

And yes, a Ford FESTIVA, 58 horses of fury
19.gif

Any input would be appreciated.

I recall in one of those car mags back then, someone manage to convert a festiva shell into a midship engine Taurus/Yamaha SHO engine at the back with rear wheel drive....

Wouldn't that be interesting?

Q.

Originally Posted By: Quest
I recall in one of those car mags back then, someone manage to convert a festiva shell into a midship engine Taurus/Yamaha SHO engine at the back with rear wheel drive....

Wouldn't that be interesting?

Q.

That was actually a production car (kinda). It was the Festiva SHOgun, made in 1990. Jay Leno owns one.

1990FordFestivaSHOgunFFF05.jpg

Try the 40 wt weight and see how it does on consumption...

Are you running dino, syn or a blend? If syn you could probably drop down a grade.

Auto-RX might be a good thing to run if warranted. I would like a little econo-box myself.

Yes I think Jay Leno should donate one car a year to a deserving BTOG member in good standing......sheesh he has enough cars for all of us.
He will have a rough retirement, that's for sure.
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: oilboy123

Are you running dino, syn or a blend? If syn you could probably drop down a grade.

Auto-RX might be a good thing to run if warranted. I would like a little econo-box myself.

Yes I think Jay Leno should donate one car a year to a deserving BTOG member in good standing......sheesh he has enough cars for all of us.
LOL.gif

Well, I'm actually just looking at the car right now for just the reason you stated, economical.

If I do get it, the first thing will be ARX followed probably with High mileage oil.

I heard these are good cars and can last a long time with good maintenance, plus I believe they are the same as the Mazda 121?

I'll update you guys if I join the 40mpg, 23 second quarter mile club
25.gif

How many miles on the ticker???

I'd say depending on how ling of OCI you want to go, use Castrol GTX 10w30 HM, or Castrol Syntec...

Originally Posted By: panthermike

LOL.gif

Well, I'm actually just looking at the car right now for just the reason you stated, economical.

If I do get it, the first thing will be ARX followed probably with High mileage oil.

I heard these are good cars and can last a long time with good maintenance, plus I believe they are the same as the Mazda 121?

25.gif

Actually I thought they were Kias? And they are good cars, I think because they are so simple there isn't much to break on them!

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: panthermike

LOL.gif

25.gif

Actually I thought they were Kias? And they are good cars, I think because they are so simple there isn't much to break on them!

Yeah, Kia sounds familiar, I believe Mazda has some part in the car as well.

I'm going to look at the car tonight or tomorrow. It has 192K on the ticker which is high. The guy says it is maintained very well and runs good with A/C and many new parts. I'll check it over, visual sludge through the fill hole, hoses, fluid conditions, etc.

He is asking 800 for it but I think I could probably get it for 500 bucks.

Actually, here is the ad:

Great commuting car, 5 spd. Very reliable- I have been commuting weekly to Sierra Vista since August with this car. Runs great, A/C works. Not the prettiest car, but it is economical. Within the last year the following work has been done: new CV half shafts, front and rear struts, control arm/ball joints, outer tie-rods, rear tires, rebuilt carb, spark plugs and wires, cap and rotor, new belts, master cylinder, valve cover gasket and trans oil replaced. I am sure something is being forgotten... most of the work was preventitive before starting the Sierra Vista commute. 192k on car, 300k common with these engines.

3n23kb3m51121fb1g491l34a69b5d1cfc11.jpg

Last edited:
I am not used to seeing cars that old in such a clean condition. Up here in the rust belt it would be a rust bucket if it was even around at all
frown.gif

They are incredibly popular in Quebec. I am used to seeing hoards of them on the road when I drive through there to visit my parents. This seems to especially be the case in the winter......

Just got off the phone with the seller.

He said the car has a squeal when warmed up(not when cold) that he thinks could be the timing belt tensioner? Says it doesn't affect running condition.

How expensive of a repair is a timing belt?

He says he also drives the car 2000 miles a week
crazy2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
Timing belt is a piece of cake and cheap. My dad runs Supertech 10w30 in his Festiva's. 40+ mpg no problems.

That's good to know. I just need to go and take a look at the car for myself so I can see what is needed.

Update: Guy sold the car, no 58 horsepower
grin2.gif

Currently looking at another Mark VIII and a LT1 caprice
cheers3.gif
Not economical but sweet cars.

Last edited:
Wow.....you flip flopped. Econobox to gas guzzlers.

I know......... I want an econobox but If I find a LT1 or Mark VIII for the right price It will be hard to pass up. Plus they aren't that bad on gas, both can do mid 20's on the highway. Keeping my foot out of it may be a problem though
19.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Then the Festiva is for you... It's all FOOT and jerking forward!
LOL.gif

crackmeup2.gif
As Happy as I'd be with the gas mileage I would be very depressed when I pushed the gas pedal. I had a 88 Tercel with 68 H.P. and hills were a little scary
57.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back