NEW KENDALL GT-1 - 75% lower wear on SEQ IIIG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
The first piece of big news is that CP will now use the exclusive Liquid Titanium additive in the majority of its Kendall GT-1 Motor Oils,

Quote:
According to Tarbox, ConocoPhillips conducted extensive research on the impact of this state-of-the-art Liquid Titanium additive and tests have shown that it dramatically reduces friction, which may lead to fuel economy improvements. The new Kendall GT-1 Motor Oils engineered with Liquid Titanium are designed to help reduce friction, fight engine wear and most importantly, prolong engine life. According to Tarbox, tests show that the Liquid Titanium in Kendall GT-1 Motor Oils bonds to critical engine parts, creating a molecular shield that helps reduce surface damage and deliver ultimate protection to consumers. In addition, he adds, "Rigorous industry testing, including the Sequence IIIG engine test, found that Kendall GT-1 5W-20 motor oil with Liquid Titanium reduced wear by 75 percent when compared to the International Lubricant Standardization and Approval Committee (ILSAC) GF-4 performance requirements, and by 55 percent when compared to a competitive 5W-20 oil. Additionally, in Sequence IVA tests, Kendall GT-1 5W-20 motor oil with Liquid Titanium reduced wear by 85 percent when compared to the ILSAC GF-4 performance requirements, and by 60 percent when compared to competitive 5W-20 oil."

shocked2.gif

We will see wont we. First all the places that sell Kendel GT-1 will need to sell all the old stuff. Then we need a way of knowing what to look for on the bottle so we know we are getting the new stuff with the titanium. We also need to see if it makes much difference in the real world! I am still very happy with ZDDP and Moly with some Boron additives.......I just like more then what they put in the bottle!

The local Firestone uses Kendall GT-1 Synthetic Blend, so I'm sure he'll get the new stuff eventually. I'll have to ask the owner the next time I'm there.

Ford worked with CP to blend Motorcraft didn't they?

Originally Posted By: buster
Ford worked with CP to blend Motorcraft didn't they?

Indeed. I hope this liquid titanium shows up in all the CP lubricants.

The only thing that matters though is how many time better it is then Mobil 1.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
So that's compared to GF-4 standards... what about compared to other oils?

Well, the Seq IVA isn't changing for GF-5. I think the IIIG is a bit. Can't remember.

These oils may be excellent at preventing certain types of wear, but overall quality of performance includes a lot more then these two tests. It's still really interesting and could be a new technology that has a lot of benefits.

I read the patent for the liquid titanium additive CP is getting from Afton Chemical. The titanium compound plus the usual zinc compound gives the same friction and wear reductions that moly compounds plus the usual zinc compounds give, but at lower cost. The ZDDP forms a tribofilm on wear points that is wear resistant but high friction. ZDDP plus either MoTDC or the titanium compound, or related compounds of any of these, form a tribofilm that is both low wear and low friction.

Well the quote also said 55% and 65% less wear compared to a competive 5w20 if iirc. Is this new formula and GT-1 their conventional or just for their synthetics and synthetic blends? I wished more places carried Kendall and CP products.

Valvoline & Edge both perform very well on the SEQ IVA. I doubt much improvement could be made there.

The SEQ IIIG results are interesting though. So is the possible friction reduction.

there is something about titanium vs copper or brass in engine bearings that just doesnt sound right to me.. even though its liquid titanium... humm il just have to wait and see i guess

No, 5w20, 5w30 and 10w40 grades. There is a demo on the CP website above.

LINK

They are claiming a 5.29% reduction in friction compared to a comparable 5w20 GF4 oil.

Pep Boys carries Kendall. Hopefully, Motorcraft will use the new formula. Seems Ford is always seeking new ways to reduce friction in their engines. This is pretty cool!

wow does that mean it is 75% less wear? That means the engine will turn so freely it might self destruct (not being sarcastic) and what about getting up to operating temperature?
Hmmmmmmm

I'm very excited to hear about the new Kendall GT-1; I've kind of been a fan and regular user of the old too. This new stuff looks much better though, cutting edge, kudos to Conoco managment for bringing out and improving the product with this leap.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
The local Firestone uses Kendall GT-1 Synthetic Blend, so I'm sure he'll get the new stuff eventually. I'll have to ask the owner the next time I'm there.

Well, so my Firestone did run out of the old GT-1, but, I was dissappointed to find out, it was replaced with a Safety Kleen recycled oil (Eco Power); at least this is true for the standard low end oil. I really hope that Firestone has the new GT-1 as the premium oil. I'd definitely pay $10 maybe $15 more for the new GT-1.

Originally Posted By: buster
Product Data Sheets

Those specs look pretty good. So the new additive technology is only available with their full synthetic? Since I think they mentioned the additive is better and cheaper, they'd put it in all their oils. I wonder if Kendall or CP oils use sodium. I'm not a fan of oils that use sodium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back