Home

Hurricane Michael

Posted By: 02SE

Hurricane Michael - 10/10/18 09:32 PM

Just some of the video shot by a live storm chaser. There are a bunch of videos shot by the same guy on his channel. Best wishes for anyone in the path of this storm. I was supposed to fly to Charlotte, NC tomorrow, I'm not sure I will.

Posted By: Mr Nice

Re: Hurricane Michael - 10/10/18 09:49 PM

Hopefully everyone is hunkering down.
Posted By: spasm3

Re: Hurricane Michael - 10/10/18 10:23 PM

Wow incredible. I wish those guys were not there, unbelievably dangerous. I've never seen winds like that.
Posted By: MParr

Re: Hurricane Michael - 10/10/18 10:51 PM

It’s just getting rough here in Sumter County, Ga. 65 mph wind gusts now and it’s going to get worse.
Posted By: Errtt

Re: Hurricane Michael - 10/10/18 11:32 PM

Yikes! - I didn't see any birds or fish flying by.
This thing went from storm to hurricane pretty fast.
Posted By: laserred96gt

Re: Hurricane Michael - 10/10/18 11:43 PM

Was watching local news Sunday and they said it's a tropical depression not expected to impact the Tampa bay area, if it becomes a tropical storm it will be named Michael.

Three days later it is a near category 5 hurricane.
Posted By: alarmguy

Re: Hurricane Michael - 10/11/18 12:34 AM

There is no reason to delay a trip to Charlotte, the only issue there will be rain. Rain does cause delays at time, other then that there will be no Tropical Storm anywhere near Charlotte.
Posted By: 02SE

Re: Hurricane Michael - 10/11/18 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by alarmguy
There is no reason to delay a trip to Charlotte, the only issue there will be rain. Rain does cause delays at time, other then that there will be no Tropical Storm anywhere near Charlotte.

Rain is a major problem for the reason I would be there. Will reevaluate in the AM.
Posted By: simple_gifts

Re: Hurricane Michael - 10/11/18 01:04 AM

Wow is right.

Good chance that the last 40 years of hurricane predication knowledge (which is seldom appreciated) is being thrown out the window this year.
Posted By: gman2304

Re: Hurricane Michael - 10/11/18 01:35 AM

Generator is still at the ready from Florence. Hopefully it won’t be needed.
Posted By: gregk24

Re: Hurricane Michael - 10/11/18 02:39 AM

We live 2 hours from there, been watching all day. Very very sad. Thankfully all we got was rain and light wind, nothing compared to what those people experienced.
Posted By: Trav

Re: Hurricane Michael - 10/11/18 11:28 AM

That was a real monster alright, prayers for anyone unfortunate to be stuck in it.
Posted By: dja4260

Re: Hurricane Michael - 10/11/18 11:52 AM

We have solid 30mph winds and sideways rain. Some local flooding but I still have power. Work was canceled today.

Re: Hurricane Michael - 10/11/18 02:32 PM

Moved here to South Carolina 12 years ago from Long Island NY. This is our first "Tropical Storm"
I now know what a tropical storm is like. We live west of Columbia, pretty much where the center of the storm moved through.

Bottom line, a tropical storm is nothing different then a good old Long Island Noreaster or winter cold front, except its not tropical in nature.
But heck, our lights did not even blink one time and we get more debris from trees and things from our summer thunder storms.

I feel for the people on the coast of Florida, horrible but ignore any hype of the storm in inland SC and NC.

I like storms but we did choose to move/live "inland" simply because we didnt want to deal with home damaging storms. Looks like we picked a good place :o)
Posted By: chainblu

Re: Hurricane Michael - 10/11/18 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Trav
That was a real monster alright, prayers for anyone unfortunate to be stuck in it.

I was in Mexico Beach, FL, about a year ago. It's just a small coastal town. Just saw the drone footage on TV and it looks like someone dropped a bomb there. Total destruction. I hoped everybody evacuated.
Posted By: SeaJay

Re: Hurricane Michael - 10/11/18 03:27 PM

Not sure why everyone is posting about a tropical storm. This hit the panhandle as a Cat 4 hurricane, that was only a few hairs short of a Cat 5. Very rarely does a hurricane of this magnitude hit the mainland with those wind speeds.

I have lived on long island for many a year, and have sat through many a northeaster. They do not compare to this hurricane.

Re: Hurricane Michael - 10/11/18 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by SeaJay
Not sure why everyone is posting about a tropical storm. This hit the panhandle as a Cat 4 hurricane, that was only a few hairs short of a Cat 5. Very rarely does a hurricane of this magnitude hit the mainland with those wind speeds.

I have lived on long island for many a year, and have sat through many a northeaster. They do not compare to this hurricane.

Because some people are commenting about the Tropical Storm Michael where they live.
There is no more Hurricane Michael, it was over yesterday.

A Tropical Storm is no different and less severe in some cases then the noreasters on Long Island.

People up north think South Carolina ( as I did having grown up on LI and spending most my life there) gets worse storms but since living here in SC for 12 years now that to me, Long Island gets worse storms then SC or no different and being we choose to live away from the coast, well for 12 years now, the absolute longest period of time we ever went without power was less then 4 hours in 12 years! and I am not even sure if it was a storm related outage.

So today the center of Tropical Storm Michael passed literally right over our roof from 4 AM to around 10 AM, it was a big yawn, my first Tropical Storm and lights didnt even blink, heck not even debris in our yard, think summer thunderstorms are worst. Is it windy? YES, but nothing more or less (and maybe less) then a Long Island cold front or fast moving noreaster.

I honestly would not have minded losing power for a while, I have a state of the art wifi home network and modem (in my eyes) set up with a robust power back up, but darn it, we never lose power *LOL*

Re: Hurricane Michael - 10/11/18 04:00 PM

deleted
Posted By: SeaJay

Re: Hurricane Michael - 10/11/18 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by alarmguy
Originally Posted by SeaJay

Because some people are commenting about the Tropical Storm Michael where they live.
There is no more Hurricane Michael, it was over yesterday.

A Tropical Storm is no different and less severe in some cases then the noreasters on Long Island.

People up north think South Carolina ( as I did having grown up on LI and spending most my life there) gets worse storms but since living here in SC for 12 years now that to me, Long Island gets worse storms then SC or no different and being we choose to live away from the coast, well for 12 years now, the absolute longest period of time we ever went without power was less then 4 hours in 12 years! and I am not even sure if it was a storm related outage.

So today the center of Tropical Storm Michael passed literally right over our roof from 4 AM to around 10 AM, it was a big yawn, my first Tropical Storm and lights didnt even blink, heck not even debris in our yard, think summer thunderstorms are worst. Is it windy? YES, but nothing more or less (and maybe less) then a Long Island cold front or fast moving noreaster.

I honestly would not have minded losing power for a while, I have a state of the art wifi home network and modem (in my eyes) set up with a robust power back up, but darn it, we never lose power *LOL*

Silly me!. Title of thread is hurricane Michael, video is of the hurricane. Didn't realize the topic had changed midstream and we were discussing something different.

Re: Hurricane Michael - 10/11/18 06:34 PM

^ Exactly, it was just a couple mph from being a cat 5 when it made landfall! It was a monster Hurricane.....until it wasn’t. Sadly, several lives lost and a lot of homes, businesses, infrastructure destroyed. Many crews are being sent to Fl and Ga from NC to help. N.C. was on the receiving end a month ago, and is still recovering, but it’s heartwarming to see them on the local news preparing to leave and to give aid where needed.

Re: Hurricane Michael - 10/11/18 09:31 PM

alarm guy,

That's easy for you to say all that cause you are not on the coast where and when a hurricane hits.

Columbia, SC is far from the coast.
Posted By: Cujet

Re: Hurricane Michael - 10/11/18 09:47 PM

I do love Florida, but this kind of thing is rather stressful and Florida has more than it's fair share of hurricanes. Having experienced a few direct hits myself, I feel for the people hit hard by the storm.
Posted By: rshaw125

Re: Hurricane Michael - 10/11/18 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Cujet
I do love Florida, but this kind of thing is rather stressful and Florida has more than it's fair share of hurricanes. Having experienced a few direct hits myself, I feel for the people hit hard by the storm.

There's no where a storm can hit Florida that has not been heavily developed. Same here in NC. Subdivisions built in flood plains.
Posted By: DoubleWasp

Re: Hurricane Michael - 10/12/18 01:27 AM

Florida has learned a lot of lessons about hurricanes. Most of them were hard lessons, but life goes on. Been dealing with these most of my life. All you can do is prepare, and strategize.
Posted By: tig1

Re: Hurricane Michael - 10/12/18 01:36 AM

We just stayed at the Aqua Condo near Pier Point in PCB for 8 days. Left just before the storm and stayed at my sons place in Gainesville.

Re: Hurricane Michael - 10/12/18 01:45 AM

My power went out at 2:30 pm today. It’s still out 7 hours later. A huge Oak tree fell one block over and the power company is swamped with outages. My house is the only one in the neighborhood with power thanks to my hard wired generator I installed 18 years ago after an ice storm cut the power for 3 days. I loaned a neighbor my small HF generator to power his refrigerator and a couple of lights. I don’t use my generator often, but when needed it’s a God send!
Posted By: spasm3

Re: Hurricane Michael - 10/12/18 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by gman2304
My power went out at 2:30 pm today. It’s still out 7 hours later. A huge Oak tree fell one block over and the power company is swamped with outages. My house is the only one in the neighborhood with power thanks to my hard wired generator I installed 18 years ago after an ice storm cut the power for 3 days. I loaned a neighbor my small HF generator to power his refrigerator and a couple of lights. I don’t use my generator often, but when needed it’s a God send!

I'm on generator power now, power has been off since last night. A lot of flooding and trees down everywhere.

Running my well pump and whole house on an 8k portable, its older and uses a lot of fuel no load control. I'm looking to get a new one.
Posted By: ArrestMeRedZ

Re: Hurricane Michael - 10/12/18 05:49 PM

Saw a helo video from a flyover of Tyndall AFB. Extensive damage. I wouldn't be surprised if they closed the base, and moved the bit of operations they have there down the road to Eglin or Hulbert AFB.

A static display F-15 was flipped over on it's back. Hangers had the roofs blown off, aircraft inside were covered in debris, and it looked like one F-16 drone was partially on top of another.

if the base had that much damage considering the construction standards, I imagine the town is just devastated.

Re: Hurricane Michael - 10/12/18 06:53 PM

They will rebuild just like Homestead Air Reserve Base got rebuilt after Andrew in 1992.

Posted By: Pew

Re: Hurricane Michael - 10/12/18 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by ArrestMeRedZ
if the base had that much damage considering the construction standards

No more cushy hotels for them laugh
Posted By: ZeeOSix

Re: Hurricane Michael - 10/12/18 06:56 PM

I've been to Panama City 3 times, and to Mexico Beach where the eye went through. Use to have lunch at a nice restaurant on the beach, which is probably totally leveled now. Aftermath videos looks like an atomic bomb hit that place. It's going to take years to rebuild it all.
Posted By: ZeeOSix

Re: Hurricane Michael - 10/12/18 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by ArrestMeRedZ
Saw a helo video from a flyover of Tyndall AFB. Extensive damage. I wouldn't be surprised if they closed the base, and moved the bit of operations they have there down the road to Eglin or Hulbert AFB.

A static display F-15 was flipped over on it's back. Hangers had the roofs blown off, aircraft inside were covered in debris, and it looked like one F-16 drone was partially on top of another.

if the base had that much damage considering the construction standards, I imagine the town is just devastated.

All the F22s were moved out before the hurricane came in. What was left behind were probably the unmanned drones they use for target practice. Lot's of high tech stuff at Tyndall, and it probably all got destroyed beyond being usable. The AF lost a lot of training capabilities, etc was there, which will take a very long time to recover from.
Posted By: ArrestMeRedZ

Re: Hurricane Michael - 10/12/18 08:02 PM

Yeah, I was stationed in Okinawa, Hawaii, and the Florida Panhandle during my time in the AF. Ex-Wife went through a hurricane or two in each place, but I was gone for each one. We always flew the fighters off station in a hurricane (or typhoon) evacuation.
Posted By: MParr

Re: Hurricane Michael - 10/13/18 10:23 PM

I’m back after the hurricane. Yes, Mexico Beach is leveled. We had Cat 1 to Cat 2 here. Albany, Ga got hit pretty hard. The City of Albany Utilities power grid was taken out. The eye went over us, here in Leslie, GA. The pecan crop has severe damage along with the cotton crop. We made out pretty good, no power for 3 days. Thanks goes out to Georgia Power.
Posted By: madRiver

Re: Hurricane Michael - 10/14/18 08:53 PM

One thing due to Michael was a squadron? of around 30 F16's relocated near my home at mostly stuttered Pease Air Force Base.

A nice little air show for a week coming in and out.
Posted By: Schmoe

Re: Hurricane Michael - 10/15/18 03:20 PM

One thing that amazed me from watching the after storm aerial views is that there were some houses on the beach that were totally leveled, then right next to it, some houses were standing that didn't even loose their roof. Wonder what kind of building material/codes they followed. Lived in Guam for 10 years and I've been through my share of typhoons. One thing about Guam, they are built for it. All houses are made of concrete and have concrete, flat roofs. We'd loose power/water for maybe 5-7 days, but other than that, most of the infrastructures remained intact. The biggest thing was getting enough ice to keep the beer cold. All perishable food was cooked on grills and made for some pretty good parties!!!!

Re: Hurricane Michael - 10/15/18 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by madRiver
One thing due to Michael was a squadron? of around 30 F16's relocated near my home at mostly stuttered Pease Air Force Base.

A nice little air show for a week coming in and out.

I'm surprised they would fly so far away when lots of other military bases much closer.
© 2019 Bob Is The Oil Guy