Hurricane Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just some of the video shot by a live storm chaser. There are a bunch of videos shot by the same guy on his channel. Best wishes for anyone in the path of this storm. I was supposed to fly to Charlotte, NC tomorrow, I'm not sure I will.

It's just getting rough here in Sumter County, Ga. 65 mph wind gusts now and it's going to get worse.

Last edited:
Yikes! - I didn't see any birds or fish flying by.
This thing went from storm to hurricane pretty fast.

Last edited:
Was watching local news Sunday and they said it's a tropical depression not expected to impact the Tampa bay area, if it becomes a tropical storm it will be named Michael.

Three days later it is a near category 5 hurricane.

Last edited:
There is no reason to delay a trip to Charlotte, the only issue there will be rain. Rain does cause delays at time, other then that there will be no Tropical Storm anywhere near Charlotte.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy
There is no reason to delay a trip to Charlotte, the only issue there will be rain. Rain does cause delays at time, other then that there will be no Tropical Storm anywhere near Charlotte.

Rain is a major problem for the reason I would be there. Will reevaluate in the AM.

Wow is right.

Good chance that the last 40 years of hurricane predication knowledge (which is seldom appreciated) is being thrown out the window this year.

We live 2 hours from there, been watching all day. Very very sad. Thankfully all we got was rain and light wind, nothing compared to what those people experienced.

Moved here to South Carolina 12 years ago from Long Island NY. This is our first "Tropical Storm"
I now know what a tropical storm is like. We live west of Columbia, pretty much where the center of the storm moved through.

Bottom line, a tropical storm is nothing different then a good old Long Island Noreaster or winter cold front, except its not tropical in nature.
But heck, our lights did not even blink one time and we get more debris from trees and things from our summer thunder storms.

I feel for the people on the coast of Florida, horrible but ignore any hype of the storm in inland SC and NC.

I like storms but we did choose to move/live "inland" simply because we didnt want to deal with home damaging storms. Looks like we picked a good place :eek:)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Trav
That was a real monster alright, prayers for anyone unfortunate to be stuck in it.

I was in Mexico Beach, FL, about a year ago. It's just a small coastal town. Just saw the drone footage on TV and it looks like someone dropped a bomb there. Total destruction. I hoped everybody evacuated.

Not sure why everyone is posting about a tropical storm. This hit the panhandle as a Cat 4 hurricane, that was only a few hairs short of a Cat 5. Very rarely does a hurricane of this magnitude hit the mainland with those wind speeds.

I have lived on long island for many a year, and have sat through many a northeaster. They do not compare to this hurricane.

Originally Posted by SeaJay
Not sure why everyone is posting about a tropical storm. This hit the panhandle as a Cat 4 hurricane, that was only a few hairs short of a Cat 5. Very rarely does a hurricane of this magnitude hit the mainland with those wind speeds.

I have lived on long island for many a year, and have sat through many a northeaster. They do not compare to this hurricane.

Because some people are commenting about the Tropical Storm Michael where they live.
There is no more Hurricane Michael, it was over yesterday.

A Tropical Storm is no different and less severe in some cases then the noreasters on Long Island.

People up north think South Carolina ( as I did having grown up on LI and spending most my life there) gets worse storms but since living here in SC for 12 years now that to me, Long Island gets worse storms then SC or no different and being we choose to live away from the coast, well for 12 years now, the absolute longest period of time we ever went without power was less then 4 hours in 12 years! and I am not even sure if it was a storm related outage.

So today the center of Tropical Storm Michael passed literally right over our roof from 4 AM to around 10 AM, it was a big yawn, my first Tropical Storm and lights didnt even blink, heck not even debris in our yard, think summer thunderstorms are worst. Is it windy? YES, but nothing more or less (and maybe less) then a Long Island cold front or fast moving noreaster.

I honestly would not have minded losing power for a while, I have a state of the art wifi home network and modem (in my eyes) set up with a robust power back up, but darn it, we never lose power *LOL*

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy
Originally Posted by SeaJay

Because some people are commenting about the Tropical Storm Michael where they live.
There is no more Hurricane Michael, it was over yesterday.

A Tropical Storm is no different and less severe in some cases then the noreasters on Long Island.

People up north think South Carolina ( as I did having grown up on LI and spending most my life there) gets worse storms but since living here in SC for 12 years now that to me, Long Island gets worse storms then SC or no different and being we choose to live away from the coast, well for 12 years now, the absolute longest period of time we ever went without power was less then 4 hours in 12 years! and I am not even sure if it was a storm related outage.

So today the center of Tropical Storm Michael passed literally right over our roof from 4 AM to around 10 AM, it was a big yawn, my first Tropical Storm and lights didnt even blink, heck not even debris in our yard, think summer thunderstorms are worst. Is it windy? YES, but nothing more or less (and maybe less) then a Long Island cold front or fast moving noreaster.

I honestly would not have minded losing power for a while, I have a state of the art wifi home network and modem (in my eyes) set up with a robust power back up, but darn it, we never lose power *LOL*

Silly me!. Title of thread is hurricane Michael, video is of the hurricane. Didn't realize the topic had changed midstream and we were discussing something different.

^ Exactly, it was just a couple mph from being a cat 5 when it made landfall! It was a monster Hurricane.....until it wasn't. Sadly, several lives lost and a lot of homes, businesses, infrastructure destroyed. Many crews are being sent to Fl and Ga from NC to help. N.C. was on the receiving end a month ago, and is still recovering, but it's heartwarming to see them on the local news preparing to leave and to give aid where needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back