RIP Vibe...

So my best freind had a bad day this past Sunday.. Driving down "the highway" not sure which, but knowing his usual sunday routine, likely I-71 between downtown Cols, and Worthington, OH

IMG_20230726_215802.jpg
IMG_20230726_215808.jpg
IMG_20230726_215813.jpg

in his words:
"Rainstorm Flooded the highway. left side. Hit a puddle (and all the mud underneath) and Skidded. And then there was a Cherokee Parked (Again, left side of the highway against the median wall, not on right side) waiting the storm out. not enough time to correct though the slide before impact.

And I don't want to Drag that Family...but I thought he left median was for accidents only, and just "stopping" was supposed to be done on the right."

he ended up with a $2k fine for "Failure to control" (good thing he's unemployed ATM..)

Everyone is alright, and luckily he had the airbag recall done a while ago....
He bought that car (2003 Pontiac Vibe) in 2010*, with 120k mi, fresh off a slap together rebuild from a Previous wreck for $5k.
we both put a lot of work into keeping that car going over the years, Didn't quite make 300k mi, or more importantly 299,999 mi when the Odometers stop on these cars.

luckily it's not his only car, he also has a 2012 Mazda 3 that he's making payments on.

* strangely enough just about this time of year in 2010, it was a good runabout for 13 years..

Glad hes ok. Sounds like [Pennsylvania] Gestapo showed up on the scene. 2,000.00 Did you mean employed vs unemployed? Wowser. Look out for a whiplash lawsuit coming next

Real tough. Glad that all are OK.

A good friend lost his beloved and long owned Vibe a few months ago. An extremely inebriated woman took it out while parked in front of his home. My father-in-law lost a nearly new truck the same way a few years ago.

Begging for pictures of how much tread the tires had......hard to see from the pics but the edges don't look great.

There is this thing about driving too fast for the conditions.....

Otherwise glad he is OK.

Last edited:
Begging for pictures of how much tread the tires had......hard to see from the pics but the edges don't look great.

There is this thing about driving too fast for the conditions.....

Otherwise glad he is OK.

I have definitely done that ckn…

On Rte 199 near me one time 7 years ago I was driving 68 mph in a very heavy rain storm and came up over a bridge ant Mooretown Rd and hydroplaned…. BAD… and for quite a distance too.

Only thing that saved me was 1) not hitting the brakes. 2) Using exceptionally light steering wheel inputs.. my left side tire came within a foot of going off the pavement on that side. And I knew if I got off that pavement that the chance I could save the car and bring it back on to the pavement we’re extremely low. I put tiny movements into the steering wheel and even with that I needed up 4 feet into the right lane just doing that. But I didn’t lose control at any point. The car stated really quite straight given all that.

If I had grabbed a handful of steering wheel I would have lost that car instantly and I would have been just spinning and sliding until I hit something very, very, very hard.

I was driving well too fast for that very heavy rain that was falling.

I have very good instincts and don’t panic while driving. But I don’t want to push the envelope that hard again. I just about ran out of talent on that one.

Glad hes ok. Sounds like [Pennsylvania] Gestapo showed up on the scene. 2,000.00 Did you mean employed vs unemployed? Wowser. Look out for a whiplash lawsuit coming next
If you read, it happened in Ohio.The officers are not gestapo and do not determine fines. You have no idea what you are talking about. . In an accident of that magnitude, one would be lucky to walk away with just whiplash.

It depends on the state, but your friend may want to do a deeper dive into whether the left side is intended for vehicles that fully stop.

Given how he explains the conditions and whether he has a clean record they may waive the fine. He should do his research and be well dressed for that day. I'm not a lawyer, but when there are mitigating circumstances most judges will take that into account and a flooded highway is certainly one of them.

Car sure appears to have done it's job protecting him and his passenger. That's all that matters....

And I don't want to Drag that Family...but I thought he left median was for accidents only, and just "stopping" was supposed to be done on the right."
Doesn't matter and doesn't change the fact that he is still at fault. He was driving too fast for the conditions. Remind him that that Jeep Cherokee moves when hit vs the concrete bridge pillars that he could have hit in a different location.

he ended up with a $2k fine for "Failure to control"
He didn't end up with a $2000 fine. That violation is a minor misdemeanor and the ORC says:
(v) For a minor misdemeanor, not more than one hundred fifty dollars.

...He didn't end up with a $2000 fine. That violation is a minor misdemeanor and the ORC says: (v) For a minor misdemeanor, not more than one hundred fifty dollars.

from your lips to gods ears pal.... all i know is what he's told me.....

Back