car wash computer on drugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so im not too big in the detailing scene so I have a couple of questions for you detailing gurus
smile.gif

I went to wash my car at one of those self-wash car washes where you get to select wheel cleaner engine degreaser, water, soap, etc to come out of the spraying nozzle. Well i set it to rinse and I was just rinsing my car when for some reason the thing set itself to engine degreaser/wheel cleaner mode and sprayed my car with the super tough cleaning agent until i noticed the water was no longer water! All in all, i rinsed it again, but i was wondering whether that stuff could damage my paint, since there were signs saying dont use the engine degreaser/wheel cleaner on your paint, it will damage it, it would be much nicer if the **** thng didnt just decide to switch to it while i was rinsing!!!! A friend recommended using 1 tablespoon of palmolive dish washing detergent to wash the car, then rinse rinse and then wash again with standard wash....

Anyway, thanks for any suggestions....

yeah you need to start all over, you screwed whatever wax you had on the paint.

Wash the car with dawn soap, this will clean the car and strip all the wax.

Then put a good coat of wax on it.

Next time you wash the car, don't use anything except car soap, because degreaser is harsh and will strip wax.

JH

I don't believe any damage has been done except any type of finish, sealant or wax was most likely removed. It's not like you let that sit on your finish for 20-30 min before spraying it off, because the auto wash machine just screwed up during your wash.
Skip the dish washing soap and use real auto wash soap like Meguiar's Gold Class, good stuff.
Then dry it and apply your favorite wax or sealant. Needs to be done this time of year for the winter months ahead anyways. I recommend claying your car before waxing or using a sealant, but due to your initial statement it would seem to me (IMO) you never clayed this car before so just do what you normally would to protect the finish before winter.
Best of luck.
biggthumbcoffe.gif

[ October 04, 2004, 04:24 PM: Message edited by: Steel Blue Wind Rider ]

actually i havent gotten to the wax stage yet when this happened, this happened when i was rinsing the wash, i actually didnt use the engine degreaser/wheel cleaner at all, just soap, then went to rinse and the thing just decided to set itself to engine degreaser/wheel cleaner without even notifying me.... maybe it thought i forgot to do the engine and wheels and just decided to do it for me, but without giving me a wanrning to stop spraying the car body!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back