When is an automatic car wash the cleanest?

I ran the previous Jeep GC limited (black) through an automatic car wash with brushes for several years and it didn't hurt the paint. A good wax once in a while kept it looking like new. I run the new Toyota Rav4 through the automatic car wash too and I have faith they do not harm the paint. My truck and Honda also get automatic washes (no limit) year round and I don't have any problems. It's so much nicer than doing all that work in the driveway and having it rain the next day. I think I will run the Corvette through this summer however I will go brushless with that car since I am a little more fussy with it.

Some car washes re-use the wash water... I think it is the law in some cities.

If you want to keep your car looking like new... don't use automatic car washes... esp. those with brushes.

Anything with brushes or cloth will mar the paint. Period. For many, this is good enough. For me, I only use a touch less and even that is rare. Many times I’ll do to the do it yourself, high pressure spray it, and then rinseless wash it at home. It gets the touch less maybe 2-3 times a year. If it’s an easy winter, it might not even see the touchless.

I have only ever used touchless car washes or DIY pressure car washes. I haven't " blown off" any paint or parts yet. But I drive mostly "off-brand" vehicles. 🙂

Yes, they filter and treat the "wash" water. I don't know if they can filter out salt water (from road salt) though.

Here's a link with a little more info:
https://www.carparts.com/blog/do-car-washes-recycle-water-and-other-faqs/

Maybe someone here can explain the process.
No you can't "filter" out salt. There was a pretty good thread on this a while back and some (a few?) car washes treat their water by reverse osmosis, that would remove it. Otherwise if the facility is recycling a portion of the wash water the salt will stay in there. Perhaps the article you link discusses that but the website appears to be down right now.

Mostly the water is new each wash on any premium chain. Some is reclaimed and filtered.

Its still less water used than a hose wash in your driveway

Automatic car washes for the win. Now if I had a severely expensive high end car then I probably wouldn’t even drive it much so wouldn’t need an automatic car wash but a daily driver normal car. Just send it ! Several times a week.

Just went through tonight in the rain since my front wheels were getting dirty

There are a lot of fancy car washes that have opened up in the last few years. Big machines, clear tunnels, bright lights, look well kept.

It would seem sensible that they are well kept. But who knows. I only will put a car through a true touchless wash. Of course I think the water is probably recycled. So I avoid all of them.

Water usage I would think depends on the jurisdiction:

I had "acquaintances" that owned several car washes. They used well water as the "fresh" supply and supplemented with city water to keep "usage" down (charged for water used and "storm water" drainage based on amount of water purchased. Hence, the well water usage allowed them to wash more cars for less cost on the drainage as the well was not monitored by the city. There was no treatment of the well water IIRC, just straight out of the ground.

My guess is first thing in the morning. They will clean the brushes after closing or before opening.

If a car wash has a guy at the entrance with a pressure wand doing a pre-wash spray thats always good to see. More dirt off as the car is entering means less dirt is removed inside the car wash and on the brushes/cloths.

But some guys doing a pre-wash are just going through the motions.

Brings back memories of the 70/80's when car washes had those nylon bristles and just ate your paint up! Car washes have come a long way!

Back