Engine Oil Selection for 2015 B8.5 Audi S4

Hello, Bob is the Oil Guy!

This is my first post, so please forgive me if this is in the wrong area to post.

I am on the hunt for the best (or most optimal) oil for my 2015 (B8.5) Audi S4.

I have been looking into motor oils for my car and I have found these three that seem to be good oils. I'm looking at the MOTUL SPECIFIC 505 01 502 00 5W-40, MOTUL 8100 X-CESS 5W-40, and the Penrite HPR 5 5W-40 (Full Synthetic). I believe all of these are either group three or group four oils. I think one of the Motul oils has PAO's, but I do not really understand what they are. I have a buddy who runs Lubrication Engineers' oil in his car and he said that they have a really good additive package. I haven't heard of them being used in Euro cars however. I've heard great things about Ester oils, but from what I know, they don't hold up well over longer OCI's and they are best suited for racing applications. Is there any way to know if an oil is truly "Fully Synthetic" or "100% Synthetic"? I was looking at Liqui Moly, but I've heard that Motul makes a better product. One more question, how important are the base stocks when compared to the additive package?

As far as OCI's go, I think I will change my oil every 5,000 miles. It's what I've heard to be the best for my car. I am looking into possibly modding it, so I want the best lubrication possible. I see oil as one of the most important things that I can easily do to improve the longevity and reliability of my engine.

If any of you have any ideas, advice, wisdom or anything that you think I should know as I continue my search for the optimal engine oil for my car, please reply!

Thank you very much!

Charlie
smile.gif

The best oil I have ever used in two European cars, 2014 MB CLA250 and an 2009 Audi A3, I have used Motul X-cess 5W-40. I've used pretty much every common motor euro oils and I was the most satisfied with Motul. The quietness and smoothness was amazing. I really can't speak for their base oil or additives but Motul was hands down the oil I have ever used. I'm a calm driver but I change oil at 7,500 miles.

My wife has a 2015 Audi A4 quattro with a stick she bought new. It's not the rocket ship an S4 is.
I owned a VW GTI which has a similar engine to my wife's Audi. Bought the GTI new, sold it to one of my brothers with 166K on it.

I have pretty much done 5K OCI's on both VAG vehicles because research shows these engines really don't like the factory 10K OCI when they get high mileage. The timing chain and related components
wear out if you follow the 10K OCI.

If you can find SDS online for the oil your interested in, you can usually see what oil based is used if you know what your looking at. No oil will be 100% PAO.
Interestingly, Castrol 0W40, made in Europe and often found at Walmart in 5 quart jugs, contains PAO in it and is the "diamond in the rough".

Just run the MOTUL 8100 X-CESS 5W-40 and quit obsessing over which oil. Anything that is Porsche A40 approved will work good in your Audi.
Penrite HPR 5 5W-40 has a group III base, even though it's still an excellent oil.

Also consider having the intake valves cleaned who knows, every 50K. Gas additives, pouring liquids in the intake... wont do a thing to keep them clean or clean them.

All you need is oil meeting VW Spec 502, or 504. That's all that really matters, brand and grade from that point on is far less important. There are several options you can usually find for about $25 a jug.

Unless you drive all city or drive the crap out of the car, 5k interval is really overkill. 7-8k is more reasonable and 10k is easily doable as well if you drive some decent freeway miles.

Motul X-Cess 5W40 is nothing special. Actually considering KV100 and HTHS it is "meh."
My choice would be Castrol Edge 0W40 you can get in your local Wal Mart, or Mobil1 0W40 FS. Both oils are top tier and will do great in that engine.
Now, Motul came out with new X-Cess that is still scarce on the US market, X-Cess Gen2. On paper it look very good, with very high HTHS.

Rock the 5k OCI and get a can of CRC intake and turbo cleaner.
That S4 motor was not meant for 10k.
Your chains will thank you.
That stuff rocks.

Good to know! I looked into the second generation of the Motul products. What is the difference between the X-Cess and the X-Clean? I will see what I can find for pricing on those oils. How important are basestocks when compared to the additive package of oils?

Thanks for your help so far!

Cheers,

Charlie

Originally Posted by S4Dad
Good to know! I looked into the second generation of the Motul products. What is the difference between the X-Cess and the X-Clean? I will see what I can find for pricing on those oils. How important are basestocks when compared to the additive package of oils?

Base stock is nearly irrelevant, especially at the OCI you are stating. Get the least expensive oil at Walmart that carries the correct approval, which will likely be Mobil 1 0W-40 or Castrol 0W-40.

Approvals are important, how it is obtained is less so.

Originally Posted by Gene K
Typical Porsche A40 Approved Oils at Walmart:
Castrol Edge 0W-40
Mobil 1 FS 0W-40
SuperTech Synthetic 5W-40

Not approved!

Originally Posted by S4Dad

Thanks for your help so far!

Cheers,

Charlie

X-Clean is Lower SAPS or Mid-SAPS oil, depending on approvals. X-Cess is high SAPS oil for vehicles without after treatment emission components (DPF or GPF).
You can use both in your S4. Considering that catalytic converters are not the most durable component on S4, maybe 5W40 X-Clean would be best option.

My 2015 Audi Allroad has the smaller 2.0 TSFI engine vs your S4's 3.0L, but I've used Castrol Edge 0W40 and Audi OEM oil filter since new, and this combination has produced favorable UOAs, so Castrol Edge 0W40 is my recommendation.

Latest UOA:

1595053393448.png

1595053482584.png

Hello, Bob is the Oil Guy!

This is my first post, so please forgive me if this is in the wrong area to post.

I am on the hunt for the best (or most optimal) oil for my 2015 (B8.5) Audi S4.

I have been looking into motor oils for my car and I have found these three that seem to be good oils. I'm looking at the MOTUL SPECIFIC 505 01 502 00 5W-40, MOTUL 8100 X-CESS 5W-40, and the Penrite HPR 5 5W-40 (Full Synthetic). I believe all of these are either group three or group four oils. I think one of the Motul oils has PAO's, but I do not really understand what they are. I have a buddy who runs Lubrication Engineers' oil in his car and he said that they have a really good additive package. I haven't heard of them being used in Euro cars however. I've heard great things about Ester oils, but from what I know, they don't hold up well over longer OCI's and they are best suited for racing applications. Is there any way to know if an oil is truly "Fully Synthetic" or "100% Synthetic"? I was looking at Liqui Moly, but I've heard that Motul makes a better product. One more question, how important are the base stocks when compared to the additive package?

As far as OCI's go, I think I will change my oil every 5,000 miles. It's what I've heard to be the best for my car. I am looking into possibly modding it, so I want the best lubrication possible. I see oil as one of the most important things that I can easily do to improve the longevity and reliability of my engine.

If any of you have any ideas, advice, wisdom or anything that you think I should know as I continue my search for the optimal engine oil for my car, please reply!

Thank you very much!

Charlie
smile.gif

This will do just as well at half the cost of those oils you listed.

Back