Minivan choices

Depending on what your using it for, maybe have a look at the Mazda5? Big enough to haul 2 adults, 2 kids in the back, and I'd assume its about as reliable as a Mazda3. You can even get a manual trans if you want to eliminate that as a problem. Some friends of ours has one and it works good for their family.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by ram_man
Can I just say overkill for years I thought that was me , I'm glad to find out it's not me it's this guy!!...‚...‚ woot!

LOL!!
lol.gif
No, you've been a bit...scattered over the years, have a strong tendency not to follow advice, and, under a previous alias or two, tended to get pretty wound-up, but definitely not an unpleasant person overall in my opinion. In other words, I'd have no problem sitting down and having a beer with you.

I can't really argue it's all true. Honestly the best thing I've ever done was just go to college and grow up. I am still pretty stubborn but I usually can listen to reason.... usually. Scattered is a definite my brain is always 1,000 mph. It's a blessing and a curse.

Drove a rented 2019 Caravan SXT the past 5 days. 11,000 + miles on odometer.

Pros
Roomy
Great visibility
Comfortable seats
Outstanding Super Stow N Go seating
Engine is quiet and reasonably smooth ..has adequate power even in econ mode (still not my favorite mode)
6 speed Transmission shifts smoothly and usually finds the right gear
Acceptable wind noise
Exterior and interior assembled properly. No rattles
Strong brakes
For families and work use..easy to clean hard plastic interior About the only soft touch material is arm rests
Electric sliding doors
Plenty of storage spaces, cubbies and cup holders
Decent road feel through steering wheel Firm steering response
With the available heavy discounting a good buy for families with young children , hauling sports teams etc

Negatives

Unless you have young children or use your van for work, hard plastic surfaces on dash and all panels
Way behind in tech/infotainment on standard model
Yokohama Avid S33 tread noise
Suspension feels the need for better quality parts. Doesn't lose composure but the feeling is suspension needs help
Ride is choppy when not loaded (did not drive with more than 1 passenger)
Tire thumps over bumps
At anywhere near list price not a good value

That VW Touran, the Dodge with VW badge was going super cheap as no VW customer wanted VW with Chrysler engine.
I think used are also super cheap. I think VW on them did some brakes improvement, handling and steering. Reliability wise is probably same as Dodge.

Originally Posted by buddylpal
A 4cylinder Sienna would be last on my list for minivans.It's probably reliable and definitely much easier to work on in that cramped engine compartment, but that must be the slowest vehicle on the road and would make driving much more of a chore.
+1
Stay away from the 4-cylinder Sienna. I spent a week in one (rented it). The van is FAR too heavy for that engine. It drives fine around town (on a test drive), but it is woefully underpowered on the highway, and worse when it is carrying 4-5 passengers and their luggage. Toyota discontinued the 4-cylinder because they couldn't sell them due to this.
Because of this, I have strong reservations about the 2021 Sienna's discontinuing the V/6 and going with a 4-cylinder Hybrid only drivetrain.

Last edited:
Another vote for the previous generation Sienna, previous to the current model. We had a 2016 Sienna, and though we had no problems with it, I think the build quality of the previous generation was a little better...

Originally Posted by edyvw
That VW Touran, the Dodge with VW badge was going super cheap as no VW customer wanted VW with Chrysler engine.
I think used are also super cheap. I think VW on them did some brakes improvement, handling and steering. Reliability wise is probably same as Dodge.

Coworker had (has?) one and it's been a turd for him. Would stall for no reason, hard to get support--IMO it's a loser--neither dealership wants to deal with this abandoned love-child.

IIRC those came with the 4.0L V6 which was a timing belt. I'm not anti-timing belt but when the 3.8 and 3.6 can be had for the same money with better support I know what I'd buy instead.

Maybe in the right hands these are great vans but I would go in with eyes wide open.

Originally Posted by PowerSurge
Originally Posted by JTK
We've owned the following minivans in this order over the past ~18yrs

2001 Ford Windstar LX
2007 Honda Odyssey LX
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan SE
2016 Nissan Quest SV

They were all great vehicles that we typically kept until 70-80K miles. The Honda and Dodge were bought new, the Ford and the Nissan were 1-2yrs old with ~30K miles on them.

My favorite was the Grand Caravan in terms of driving dynamics, comfort and value and it gave us no issues where all the others had things like A/C, suspension and other odd ball issues.

70-80k miles is nothing. A lot of people around here drive 20-30k/year. Long term reliability/durability is decided well after 80k

Well.. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

4-5yrs of rust belt life constantly shuttling 4 kids around is a pretty good gauge of measuring reliability and overall minivan ownership to me. If you're doing 20-30K per/year, that's the easy life racking up highway miles.

The only MV we owned for 3yrs was the 2016 Quest. The 2017 Quest was available in a limited number for rental companies only. Other than that, the last year for them was 2016. All the 2011-2017s were made in Japan.

Last edited:
I never realized Nissan quit selling the Quest lol. I hardly ever see a Quest around here.

Yeah, I think they had some ridiculously low sales numbers, especially on the 2011-2016s. The only reason we had one was because the bride liked it. It was huge, comfy and had plenty of power. Way over boosted steering and braking. I didn't care for the handling compared to the other MVs we owned.

Originally Posted by supton

Coworker had (has?) one and it's been a turd for him. Would stall for no reason, hard to get support--IMO it's a loser--neither dealership wants to deal with this abandoned love-child.

IIRC those came with the 4.0L V6 which was a timing belt. I'm not anti-timing belt but when the 3.8 and 3.6 can be had for the same money with better support I know what I'd buy instead.

Maybe in the right hands these are great vans but I would go in with eyes wide open.

IDK, I just said bcs. Dodge was one of the options, and that is pretty much Dodge (Chrysler got 2.0TDI engines from VW in Europe for JEEP through this deal. They basically scammed VW) so just saying if price is big factor.
When I was looking for minivan I never consider them. If they had VW VR6 engine, then it would be different story.

Don't buy a heavy, FWD vehicle. You'll thank yourself later, for not going down that road (not very durable, due to transverse engine config/FWD transaxle, inconvenient access to routine maintenance because it's shoehorned in there sideways, hard on tires, not a good tow platform, etc, etc).

If you have to have a van, go full-size van with RWD. Will be much more durable over the long haul.

Originally Posted by john_pifer
Don't buy a heavy, FWD vehicle. You'll thank yourself later, for not going down that road (not very durable, due to transverse engine config/FWD transaxle, inconvenient access to routine maintenance because it's shoehorned in there sideways, hard on tires, not a good tow platform, etc, etc).

If you have to have a van, go full-size van with RWD. Will be much more durable over the long haul.

How much more durable? People are doing 200,000+ miles easily with these minivans with basic maintenance, so not sure what RWD van will offer more except horrid snow performance and miserable mpg? Yes, transverse V6 are not the most accessible engines to work on, and yes, they have torque steer and they are awful vehicles to drive (and RWD vans are no better, just different), but they are designed with one thing in mind: family hauling. Also, not sure anyone buys minivans to haul 10,000lbs camper.

How much more durable? People are doing 200,000+ miles easily with these minivans with basic maintenance, so not sure what RWD van will offer more except horrid snow performance and miserable mpg? Yes, transverse V6 are not the most accessible engines to work on, and yes, they have torque steer and they are awful vehicles to drive (and RWD vans are no better, just different), but they are designed with one thing in mind: family hauling. Also, not sure anyone buys minivans to haul 10,000lbs camper.

I don't often agree with eddy here but I will here.

Don't buy a heavy, FWD vehicle.

Unless you're buying a light truck, truck based SUV, beemer, benz, vette, etc.. That kinda takes every vehicle on the road out of the picture.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

I forgot about those
lol.gif

The Quest is probably fine in terms of reliability, most likely a step below Toyota, but not bad. I rank the Quest over the Odyssey, sicne Honda still uses a timing belt and has a history of transmission problems.

My ranking in these minivans would be
4-cylinder Sienna > Transit Connect > V6 Sienna > Quest > Sedona > Odyssey > Chrysler

The 2005 and newer Odysseys have been fine, transmission-wise. I'd definitely trust them over any Quest with a CVT.

You're confusing the Touran with the Routan. The Touran was/is based on the Golf/MQB platforms and was never sold in the US. The Routan was based on the Caravan. VW sucks at naming their cars.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wag123
A 4cylinder Sienna would be last on my list for minivans.It's probably reliable and definitely much easier to work on in that cramped engine compartment, but that must be the slowest vehicle on the road and would make driving much more of a chore.
+1
Stay away from the 4-cylinder Sienna. I spent a week in one (rented it). The van is FAR too heavy for that engine. It drives fine around town (on a test drive), but it is woefully underpowered on the highway, and worse when it is carrying 4-5 passengers and their luggage. Toyota discontinued the 4-cylinder because they couldn't sell them due to this.
Because of this, I have strong reservations about the 2021 Sienna's discontinuing the V/6 and going with a 4-cylinder Hybrid only drivetrain.

I'm looking forward would to test driving one of the new hybrids. Even though it's a 4-cylinder and the horsepower's down, it's going to be extremely torquey with the electric motor. The instant acceleration from the electric motor will probably make it feel faster and more responsive than the V6, at least based on my experience with the RAV4/RAV4 Hybrid.

Back