Minivan choices

Originally I was just going to consider dodge and Chrysler vans but oh boy have I seen a lot of junk ones. The owners don't take care of them at all or they have issues. So I'm broadening my horizons looking to spend no more than 12,000. The siennas appear to be a bad value just based on age and mileage for the price but how are they? I've seen a few v6 model 2011-13 100-140,000 miles around 10k
Also seen a few Kia Sedona and odyssey's I know older Honda's had terrible transmissions. Was this ever resolved? Thoughts on 2011-2015 Kia Sedona or Toyota Sienna?

My favorite minivans are Honda Odysseys. They've always had a sporty look to them. They don't have terrible transmissions,people just don't properly maintain them.

We've had great luck with our 2010 Sienna (the last year of the "round" generation). Under $1000 in non-maintenance repairs in 210,000 miles (just a caliper that seized from road salt and a repair to the VVTi system - a solenoid which needed replacing at $450ish). It's rock-solid and we still take it on long trips regularly (4k miles plus), getting 23-26 mpg while doing so (it's been to 40ish states). It still has all the factory suspension parts (tie rod ends, struts, shocks, etc), factory ATF, factory coolant. Basically just 20 or 24 tires, oil changes every 7-10k, a couple of light bulbs, brake pads, and a couple batteries. No body rust, despite 10 Minnesota winters. After our experience with it, I'd be hard-pressed to not buy another. Also hard to go wrong with an Odyssey, though they do command a bit of a price premium.

We have a 2011 sienna. Got it with 40k and have it up to 140k now. It's been reliable, but I've never been a huge Toyota fan. I hoped this would change when I had one personally, thought maybe it was just drivers being hard on Toyota's around here, but they're still require more maintenance than I expected. I mean it's a heavy van so I may have had high expectations...

Have only been through 1 set of brakes and it was mainly bc the dealer put the cheapest pads possible on it.

Water pump whined for awhile but never leaked. Has since quieted down.

Rear shocks knocked, replaced, they began knocking again after another 30k or so...we just decided to get used to it unless they leak.

Front strut mounts are shot. Still ignoring it for the time being. Oem stuff is very expensive even with a technicians discount. Aftermarket is too iffy on quality for me to want to use it.

Steering intermediate shaft gets noisy every few years. Bought a special flat needle grease injector that quiets it down (TSB Toyota issued).

Eats tires. Got about 35k on some Firestone's new when purchased. Maybe 45k on some 60 or 80k rated continentals. Rotated every oil change, which I do around 5-7k depending on what's going on in life at the time.

**I was spoiled by an 03 accord that required next to no maintenance the duration of the 200k I owned it I think. **

I'd still pick the Toyota over a Honda due to transmission issues. I like the new Kia, but their first van that Hyundai shares was junk. I have no real knowledge and I don't know any Kia techs to get an educated opinion on the new ones. It'd be on my list to replace our sienna down the road, especially since Toyota is going hybrid.

Originally Posted by TmanP
We've had great luck with our 2010 Sienna (the last year of the "round" generation). Under $1000 in non-maintenance repairs in 210,000 miles (just a caliper that seized from road salt and a repair to the VVTi system - a solenoid which needed replacing at $450ish). It's rock-solid and we still take it on long trips regularly (4k miles plus), getting 23-26 mpg while doing so (it's been to 40ish states). It still has all the factory suspension parts (tie rod ends, struts, shocks, etc), factory ATF, factory coolant. Basically just 20 or 24 tires, oil changes every 7-10k, a couple of light bulbs, brake pads, and a couple batteries. No body rust, despite 10 Minnesota winters. After our experience with it, I'd be hard-pressed to not buy another. Also hard to go wrong with an Odyssey, though they do command a bit of a price premium.

I would be tempted to drain / replace the fluids .

I am guessing many / most mini vans are driven / owned by " soccer moms that do nothing but put gas in the vehicles and put the key in the ignition .

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
My favorite minivans are Honda Odysseys. They've always had a sporty look to them. They don't have terrible transmissions,people just don't properly maintain them.

1999-2004 Odysseys had terrible transmissions.

2011-2016 sienna is pretty reliable. 2017 was when the transmission changed to the 8 speed. I have 125,xxx miles on it. Brakes once battery twice 3 sets of tires. Only time stranded was battery died once. There is a reason they are more expensive. Insurance was less than the Dodge Grand Caravan at the time plus a little better reported mileage made the cost about even. I would get another with the 6 speed auto transmission

If $12,000 is your limit then just wait it out until you find a decent one. They all have their weaknesses just like any car. The Dodge Caravan can often be had for great prices as they come out of rental car service, but if $12k is a firm budget then just wait until you find one that was maintained well.

We bought a 14 odyssey the same time that our friends bought a 15 sienna. Theirs has been at the dealer many times for a number of qc issues, including water leaks.

We've had no issues with our odyssey at 60k. But the critic has a list of things that do go wrong with them, and if vcv hasn't been disabled, it's an issue. No concerns with later ATs.

But If you're looking for low cost used, go look at the rental vans.

Get a 4-cylinder Sienna. They are much easier to work on than any V6 minivan
smile.gif

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

And, he can get in shape when he pushes car to get to decent speed.

Originally Posted by t1snwrbrdr12
We have a 2011 sienna. Got it with 40k and have it up to 140k now. It's been reliable, but I've never been a huge Toyota fan. I hoped this would change when I had one personally, thought maybe it was just drivers being hard on Toyota's around here, but they're still require more maintenance than I expected. I mean it's a heavy van so I may have had high expectations...

Have only been through 1 set of brakes and it was mainly bc the dealer put the cheapest pads possible on it.

Water pump whined for awhile but never leaked. Has since quieted down.

Rear shocks knocked, replaced, they began knocking again after another 30k or so...we just decided to get used to it unless they leak.

Front strut mounts are shot. Still ignoring it for the time being. Oem stuff is very expensive even with a technicians discount. Aftermarket is too iffy on quality for me to want to use it.

Steering intermediate shaft gets noisy every few years. Bought a special flat needle grease injector that quiets it down (TSB Toyota issued).

Eats tires. Got about 35k on some Firestone's new when purchased. Maybe 45k on some 60 or 80k rated continentals. Rotated every oil change, which I do around 5-7k depending on what's going on in life at the time.

**I was spoiled by an 03 accord that required next to no maintenance the duration of the 200k I owned it I think. **

I'd still pick the Toyota over a Honda due to transmission issues. I like the new Kia, but their first van that Hyundai shares was junk. I have no real knowledge and I don't know any Kia techs to get an educated opinion on the new ones. It'd be on my list to replace our sienna down the road, especially since Toyota is going hybrid.

I think I am there too at 69k. I took vehicle today for 50 mile trip in one direction to install hitch for bike rack, and it has been probably 6 months since I made such long trip with it. Rear suspension is hitting really hard. I am having a feeling I am in public trans. bus.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

And, he can get in shape when he pushes car to get to decent speed.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by dishdude
I'm not sure the wife would approve of a shag wagon, but that is awesome!
lol.gif

My wife was brutal. I was driving BMW X5. She complains about space, we will need it for second kid etc.
I trade in for Sienna, still in shock trying to get over it. Few months into it we drive somewhere, and van is rattling over some bumps, and she is: wow, what a difference compared to BMW. I would never drive this. I was like: [censored]?

Back