In what cars and trucks can you reach the oil filter without going down under.

1950s and early 1960s Ramblers with the old-series 195.6 flathead or OHV engine. The spin-on oil filter is up top and unobstructed.

[Linked Image from cdn-0.barnfinds.com]

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Hondas with the 3.5L oil filter can be accessed by turning the wheels to the full left or right (can't remember off-hand). On the Odyssey, a skinny enough person can probably reach and remove the drain plug as well.

That applies to most all of the J-Series engines, not just the 3.5.

Originally Posted by Saabist
1950s and early 1960s Ramblers with the old-series 195.6 flathead or OHV engine. The spin-on oil filter is up top and unobstructed. ...
My parents had one of those, a '59 Classic. It had the first spin-on filter I ever saw. My father was puzzled how to change it. A plumbing-supply store sold him a heavy chain wrench, which was kind of over-kill for that purpose. (It worked, but reliably dented the filter.)

1981 Toyota Tercel (3A engine), easiest to reach engine oil filter in any vehicle I owned to far. I even did change the starter from the top.

1984 Toyota Supra (5MGE engine) can also be changed from the top.

Originally Posted by LeoStrop
Not on top, but pretty easy on my Kadett
thumbsup2.gif

[Linked Image]

That's where my 1984 Pontiac 6000 2.5 oil filter was..... easy as pie.
Another easy one that sat right in front of the radiator and super-easy to install and remove was on my 1994 Dodge Caravan 2.5

I can reach the filter for my Impala and Colorado from the front. I already have the jack out for reaching the drain plug and tire rotation so it doesn't help a lot.

In my 1987 Toyota Van you can change the oil filter from inside the vehicle. There's an access panel behind the passenger seat through which you can reach it.

Last edited:
Every '93-11 Ranger I've had can be reached from the top (2.3L, 2.5L, 3.0L).

Most foxbody Mustangs are accessible from up top.

Toyota 1MZ-FE is right up front, under the exhaust manifold, depending on the exact filter it can come out the top but some will be too long to get past the fan shroud. FL-910S or equivalent comes out fine.

Most 2.4L Hondas can come out from the top. I don't know about some of the newer ones.

Many Mercedes models with cartridge filters.

Most any Chrysler up until the early '80s.

E46 BMWs And a bunch of other BMWs in the same era or before, but don't recall which other series.

(The boxy Ford Escapes, 2012 or older don't have them on TOP, but just a few inches past the front bumper and if you're kinda small framed, pretty easy to get to - and they're at a nice angle so you can fill them oil before putting them on and it won't pour the oil out.)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by getawheel

Most 2.4L Hondas can come out from the top. I don't know about some of the newer ones.

I am guessing you are talking about the K24.
I would love to get it from the top as I service 3 TSXs.
Any guidance?

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Originally Posted by getawheel

I am guessing you are talking about the K24.
I would love to get it from the top as I service 3 TSXs.
Any guidance?

Cold engine and very long arms....I suppose it can be done.

But considering the mess it makes....you'll have to power wash that area afterwards.

2000-2005 Impala with the 3.4L come out through the top. Not the greatest design because the oil that drains out drains right onto a wiring harness, but that's besides the point.

2010 Traverse with a 3.6 the filter was accessible from the hood. Just wait for it to cool off a bit or you'll burn your fingers on the nearby exhaust pipe.

Despite the Ecotec 2.4's dismal reputation, I actually like the cartridge oil filter on the wife's 2013 Equinox that's changed from the hood. Probably its only redeeming quality.

My Pilot could probably be reached through the right front wheel well if you turn the steering wheel to the right.

A '75-'79 MG Midget's filter can be reached from the hood too, but you're going to have to deal with the spillage on the frame. Sticks out sideways from under the distributor and it makes a bit of a mess.

2016 Subaru Legacy 2.5.
Top mounting of the oil filter.
I have a Fumoto with a hose tucked in
behind the the plastic splash pan.
I do have to get on the ground to reach the hose
though the splash pan opening.
My first gen Ridgeline I can do all the fluids on the ground but I have crawl under the truck.

Last edited:
Back