Engine flush 61,000 miles result

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by 4WD
He sells tire shine too

Blasphemy!
lol.gif

I'm thinking about a colon flush. And I've been thinking about it 15 years or so.
I'm believing I can eat the hay and spit out the straw.

I did do an engine flush in my younger days. Made me feel good all over. But
it has since lost that loving feeling. Whoa a whoa, whoa
coffee2.gif

Reactions: JC1
Originally Posted by Gebo
I'm thinking about a colon flush. And I've been thinking about it 15 years or so.

coffee2.gif

Speaking of posters.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by Rand
Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
Threads like this really make me disappointed in this forum. .

You have to look at the posters.
The OP joined 2 months ago and has 500 posts.. maybe a former member who isnt here anymore??
The other guy blathering flush nonsense joined this month.
These kind of posters have a high chance of being trolls that are disgruntled with bitog.

but how strict do you want moderation? There is a balance to everything.

If you look back to gearheadtool he had about 9 names here and was banned 9x eventually.

Yup, or he works for a company that makes flush products or uses them and thus benefits from his touted position (which was stated as absolute fact and then walked back as to just being opinion).

Lol you are gonna get that exited about it are you. I didnt realise a public forum only decreed facts from all posts. Why is everyone getting so exited about it. There are plenty of threads on oil additives yet you have seem to taken a liking to me. I'm flattered but really.

I think this is the reason why so many stay away from here now. People come to get some basic information on oil etc but they get lynched because the mighty crowd flame down the law. I even have people here now telling me what I was actually mindfuly impying. Well you know what they say about that dont you.

Give everyone a break and try and make this place friendly for the newcomers and others. When forums start dying this is what usually starts to happen. You have friends here and its part of your lifestyle so anyone tramping on your ground must be viewed in a negative light especially when they dont conform to the status quo of bitog.

Quick go back to finding the cheapest deal on oil and filters. All that is here are opinions and thats the way it works here.

Last edited:
Mine used to get 4 ounces of Gumout Multitune in the crankcase on a cold motor every 100,000 miles as I made the four mile journey to Honda for the #4 service. I only did it as I always had concerns of the occasional wind/dirt entering while topping off at petrol station. Now,unless my filter came off or I found a hole/high silicone uoa I'm not going that route. Sticking to pea throttle cleaning and pea in the tank. Best engine cleaning came from esters in Redline Oil and Archoil. So far the Lubegard has did okay too.

If I was going to flush I would find a detergent based like Lubegard or Amsoil additive. If its the oil pan your worried about you could use kerosene just dont start it.

Originally Posted by Gebo

coffee2.gif

Colon flush eh? Magnesium Citrate OR lots of peaches/prunes as a suggestion but Im not ARNP/MD so I csnt legally diagnose.

Originally Posted by adamsoil
Lol you are gonna get that exited about it are you.

I don't think anybody is excited, at least that's not the impression I got from Rand's post, and I certainly wasn't excited in mine.

I didnt realise a public forum only decreed facts from all posts. Why is everyone getting so exited about it. There are plenty of threads on oil additives yet you have seem to taken a liking to me. I'm flattered but really.

We have a whole subforum for folks who want to debate the merits of additives, the general consensus is, and has been, that they serve no purpose on a properly maintained engine other than making the owner's wallet lighter. Given that this is an oil forum, trying to keep things factual on that subject should be expected. You made an unsubstantiated statement and seem surprised to be called on it.

I think this is the reason why so many stay away from here now.

Boy, you seem to be implying a lot of familiarity with this board and its operations for somebody who just joined
smirk.gif

People come to get some basic information on oil etc but they get lynched because the mighty crowd flame down the law. I even have people here now telling me what I was actually mindfuly impying. Well you know what they say about that dont you.

Your post in this thread wasn't somebody trying to glean valuable information, it was a statement, devoid of evidence as to its validity, and presented as absolute fact:

They all need to be flushed. Haters going to hate. Nearly every pro mechanic in NZ and Australia engine flush every service. Where are all the negative stories? 1000s of cars everyday. How do you clean turbo lines and filters? Ive never heard a bad story in real life only on the internet.

Note the complete absence of a qualifier indicating that this was opinion or exclusively the view of the person stating it. It was presented as an absolute fact, which is why it was contested.

Give everyone a break and try and make this place friendly for the newcomers and others.

This board is very friendly towards folks not making unsubstantiated statements. It also, as noted, has a sub-forum for folks who want to explicitly discuss the perceived merits of additives with like-minded individuals.

When forums start dying this is what usually starts to happen. You have friends here and its part of your lifestyle so anyone tramping on your ground must be viewed in a negative light especially when they dont conform to the status quo of bitog.

This board shows no evidence of dying. What we have experienced in recent years is a decline in professional/expert membership as folks relentlessly and mindlessly parrot nonsense contrary to what the experts have indicated and so those members stop posting. Doug Hillary is one such casualty, there are many more.

Quick go back to finding the cheapest deal on oil and filters. All that is here are opinions and thats the way it works here.

That's nonsense. While there are indeed some members on here that pursue the cheapest oil and filter combo, it hardly makes up the bulk of the membership. While everyone has opinions, some of are of significantly higher value than others. Those people are able to provide SAE studies, industry tests and myriad other data points to support their positions.

A guy with 30 posts who has been here for less than a month stating absolutely that every engine needs to be flushed should expect pushback. I think it is more bizarre that he or she wouldn't.

Lol you are gonna get that exited about it are you. I didnt realise a public forum only decreed facts from all posts. Why is everyone getting so exited about it. There are plenty of threads on oil additives yet you have seem to taken a liking to me. I'm flattered but really.

I think this is the reason why so many stay away from here now. People come to get some basic information on oil etc but they get lynched because the mighty crowd flame down the law. I even have people here now telling me what I was actually mindfuly impying. Well you know what they say about that dont you.

Give everyone a break and try and make this place friendly for the newcomers and others. When forums start dying this is what usually starts to happen. You have friends here and its part of your lifestyle so anyone tramping on your ground must be viewed in a negative light especially when they dont conform to the status quo of bitog.

You've been puling this schtick since you joined, it's tiresome already.

The manual says blah blah

It's my car I paid for it I'll do what I feel best in Houston, Texas heat and traffic.

Forner ASE tech, motorcycle tech, engine assembler.

They all need to be flushed. Haters going to hate. Nearly every pro mechanic in NZ and Australia engine flush every service. Where are all the negative stories? 1000s of cars everyday. How do you clean turbo lines and filters? Ive never heard a bad story in real life only on the internet.

Exactly.

IIRC the additives here that don't require flames suits to mention:

Techron
Gumout PEA
LG red
Kreen
BG109

Most others are lightning rods not sure how it got there just is

Last edited by a moderator:
This entire post is a typical example of what's happening on social media which I am not part of but hear about on some podcasts.

The OP came here without any effort on his part to educate himself on dangers of engine flush and how unnecessary they are if the engine is properly maintained. He didn't come here to ask questions for better understanding but with a claim based on baseless facts.

It is up to us who know that the truth is self-evident and needs no defense to not argue with someone but rather not to respond at all. If we all did that, people like OP would disappear and peace and harmony would prevail on BITOG where actual opinion and or advice based on facts and legitimate research would take hold.

Yeah it is dangerous on a GUNKED UP engine due to the goop clogged up oil screens and passages.
I'm doing this as a PM and will repeat at the next 60k.

Oh yeah, the guy who said rev your engine, don't do that. Just let the heat and circulation at idle do the work.

Originally Posted by IMSA_Racing_Fan
Yeah it is dangerous on a GUNKED UP engine due to the goop clogged up oil screens and passages.
I'm doing this as a PM and will repeat at the next 60k.

Oh yeah, the guy who said rev your engine, don't do that. Just let the heat and circulation at idle do the work.

Granted its your decision but "gunk" ( in terms of presence or absence) is either there or not- anything else is a matter of degree.

So if there is no gunk, what is the treatment preventing?

Gunk (as differentiated from varnish) is a deposited solid- it doesn't form, its created and grows from various by products over time.

If not allowed to be created ( proper change interval and acceptable mechanical condition) then how would it ever start to form?

Originally Posted by js1956
This entire post is a typical example of what's happening on social media which I am not part of but hear about on some podcasts.

The OP came here without any effort on his part to educate himself on dangers of engine flush and how unnecessary they are if the engine is properly maintained. He didn't come here to ask questions for better understanding but with a claim based on baseless facts.

It is up to us who know that the truth is self-evident and needs no defense to not argue with someone but rather not to respond at all. If we all did that, people like OP would disappear and peace and harmony would prevail on BITOG where actual opinion and or advice based on facts and legitimate research would take hold.

From Amsoil. I believe that is a reputable source.

An Engine Flush Is Part Of A Good Maintenance Regimen

While not a required step when switching to AMSOIL synthetic motor oil, we do recommend flushing your engine if you want to give your vehicle a fresh start.

5 benefits of an engine flush

1. Prepares your engine for new oil
An engine flush helps loosen sticky valves or rings and remove harmful sludge and other contaminants.

By cleaning the engine prior to installing fresh oil, you ensure the new oil functions as intended and delivers maximum protection. The oil won't last as long or protect as well if it must contend with sludge and deposits from the previous oil.

By the way, we don't require use of AMSOIL Engine and Transmission Flush before switching to AMSOIL synthetic motor oil, but we recommend flushing your engine if you want to give it a fresh start.

2. Helps increase fuel efficiency
Contaminants circulating throughout the engine can lead to oil breakdown and increased viscosity - and higher-viscosity oil requires more energy to circulate throughout the engine.

Sludge and deposits on engine parts can also increase resistance, which wastes fuel to overcome. Cleaning the engine helps ensure parts move efficiently, maximizing fuel economy.

3. Helps reduce emissions
If deposits in the piston-ring lands cause the rings to stick, oil can migrate into the combustion chamber, where it burns.

This not only leads to harmful deposits, it also increases exhaust emissions as the burned oil exits the tailpipe.

A good engine flush helps free stuck rings and reduce oil consumption, in turn reducing emissions.

4. Helps reduce heat
Excessive heat is bad for your engine and the oil.

Extreme heat reduces engine efficiency while increasing the rate at which the oil oxidizes (chemically breaks down). Sludge and deposits act as insulators that prevent the engine from dissipating heat as designed.

Flushing your engine helps ensure it manages heat properly for optimum efficiency and oil life.

5. Convenience
This might not apply to every engine flush, but it applies to AMSOIL Engine and Transmission Flush. It delivers results after just one application. And it only takes 10-15 minutes to use.

Plus, you can safely use it in gas or diesel engines and automatic transmissions.

While some solvent-based flush products require a cumbersome disposal process, AMSOIL Engine and Transmission Flush uses a detergent-based formulation. As such, you can dispose of it easily with waste oil.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/blog.amsoil.com/is-an-engine-flush-good-or-bad/amp/

I recently sold a 22 year old SUV (Owned from new). It never had an 'engine flush'. A prospective buyer was curious as to how clean the engine might be, so I removed a valve cover. It was absolutely spotless. Not even a hint of varnish, much less sludge. It still ran like new.

The op seemed to make a simple post stating what he does and why he does it. Then all of the sudden it's war? This is the part of bitog I don't like.

If it makes you feel good to flush it and you like really clean internals by all means do so.

For those who feel it is unnecessary, than don't.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mattd
Engines don't require "flushing" when they're maintained properly. It's when they are neglected that it may be an option. There are other things I'd use other than that "motor flush".

I've seen first hand properly maintained engines in sound mechanical condition need an engine cleaning product or flush. I posted pictures a few years back of a 2000 Buick Century I was given by my father. He owned it since new and had religious oil changes done every 3K miles or less with name brand dino oils. The top of the engine was far from perfect with about 80K miles on the clock. FTR there were no problems with the lower intake manifold gaskets, the engine was mechanically sound. I'm not an Amsoil fan but the info posted from them about doing a flush can have merit, even in a well maintained engine. I'd opt for something along the lines of Rislone, Kreen or MMO, rather than a fast flush.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Originally Posted by mattd
Engines don't require "flushing" when they're maintained properly. It's when they are neglected that it may be an option. There are other things I'd use other than that "motor flush".

I've seen first hand properly maintained engines in sound mechanical condition need an engine cleaning product or flush. I posted pictures a few years back of a 2000 Buick Century I was given by my father. He owned it since new and had religious oil changes done every 3K miles or less with name brand dino oils. The top of the engine was far from perfect with about 80K miles on the clock. FTR there were no problems with the lower intake manifold gaskets, the engine was mechanically sound. I'm not an Amsoil fan but the info posted from them about doing a flush can have merit, even in a well maintained engine. I'd opt for something along the lines of Rislone, Kreen or MMO, rather than a fast flush.

This can make one wonder, did dad do his own oil changes? Or was it possible he fell victim to one of those places that don't even change the oil? Very weird to hear of a vehicle serviced every 3,000 miles and not look good inside. Did he take a lot of short trips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back