Compressed air or electric

I wrenched on '88 526es for 22 yrs with neither air or battery. There is nothing on it that cannot be removed by hand. Same with a 325is I'm guessing. I 've worked on cars since I was 10yr old. But never enough to justify investing in power tools . Woulda been nice working on Jeeps . I started off witha basic Craftsman 3/8 drive metric set for bugs No need of anything bigger.
grin2.gif

I have mixed feelings about the topic. Most of the time, cordless tools work well. Air tools tend to be faster, but compressor noise is an irritation. Also, a lot of times when the electric impact wrench doesn't have enough beans to bust something loose, my 1/2" impact can't do it either and I have to bust out the breaker bar and the extendo-pipe 2000. There are a couple of things that I can't replace with a battery powered tool, though. Others have mentioned air nozzles which are indispensable, and the other biggie is the air hammer/chisel. I've been wanting an excuse to buy a needle scaler, too.

Big slow turning industrial (700-800rpm) compressors are fairly quiet, I beat this topic to death but it's true, I've worked with "Box Store" compressors & they are 3 times as loud!

Like this Husky that was in it's own room but still managed to drive me nuts from 100' away, While I can have a conversation right next to my Kellogg-American.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You guys don't mention torque. I think the Milwaukee 2767-20 does 1400 foot pounds of torque in reverse. The one mentioned earlier that was an electric cord was 400 foot pounds. I think most air tools are in the 300-600 range depending on what you buy. There's also the Rigid cordless one that's good for about 620 foot pounds. That Milwaukee is heavy though which I think is the drawback with an electric, probably heavier than the equivalent air gun so maybe tiring to hold it a while. Milwaukee also has a mid torque electric that's also in the 600 foot pound range but price wise it's almost the same as the 2767 but it's lighter due to the lower torque. OP doesn't mention the cost of the air gun in addition to the compressor.

I think the Rigid one is often mentioned as a good deal, sometimes as low as $150 but now about $180. Home Depot sells it so it's a lifetime warranty on the impact wrench and the battery. They used to have a Ryobi impact if you have a set of their batteries, that was only 300 foot pounds but the kit came with a battery and charger so not a lot of money to get into a cordless impact gun.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-...y-and-18-Volt-Charger-R86011SB/303037082

I got my Milwaukee 2767 when it was on sale for $211 with a 4 amp hour battery, it's normally in the $250-$300 range without the battery.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...riction-Ring-Tool-Only-2767-20/302654201

Used to be pro air compressor and still am for the most part, but after receiving many dewalt tools and oversized batteries for Christmas, an electric impact sounds nice. It can be taken to junkyards or simply used where getting compressed air isn't possible. Sounds like a win win IMO. Power wise, how would a 1/2" electric impact compare to my Aircat 1150 powered by an 18.1 CFM compressor, I have no idea, but ideally one would be there if the other can't do it.

I've had my "first gen" 20v batteries ever since they came out and as far as I can tell, they're still as good as new.

An electric impact and grease gun is definitely in my radar.

Last edited:
OP it looks like electric/cordless is the way for you. Cheap compressors and air tools aren't going to be so great and will have minimal resell value.

Originally Posted by nobb
You have to factor in the replacement costs of batteries over time. Might have to replace them every 5 years, and after 15 years there's no guarantee you'll even be able to get replacements. Air tools should effectively last forever if maintained and the air connection standards should be the same even 50 years from now.

This is how I look at it too. I'm always going to have a compressor around so air tools are always going to work. I also apply it to people that use a power tool every once in a while around the house. Buy a corded version and it'll last you forever and be far cheaper to buy. Cordless tools are a waste of money for many homeowners.

I have a Dewalt 20V 1/2 XRP xyzmoussee. It's powerful and capable. However, when I needed to remove the subframe of my S2000 to pull the transmission, the 6 long and large bolts that hold the chassis together just could not be persuaded to come out with the Dewalt.

I ended up using my air powered Ingersol Rand "thunder gun" and hammered on those things for about a minute each, as they slowly backed out.

They are bigger than they look. That long one is about 9 inches long.

[Linked Image from marcuccimotorsports.com]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Cujet

They look like the same bolts except the short one snapped in half.

Originally Posted by Fattylocks
Originally Posted by Cujet

They look like the same bolts except the short one snapped in half.

Hahahaha,
smile.gif
that's not what I meant. The bolt thread diameter is 14mm. In the pic one might think they are 8mm or 10mm, as there is nothing for perspective.

Last edited:
I'm a huge fan of cordless electric. We work in the garage almost every day - and frequently abuse and brutalize the tools - some of our work is pretty challenging. I have also converted two of my friends who initially thought that there is "no way" that those have enough power. Ridgid has a deal where, if you register the tool, there is a LIFETIME warrantee on the tool and the batteries!!!

Originally Posted by Wolf359
You guys don't mention torque. I think the Milwaukee 2767-20 does 1400 foot pounds of torque in reverse. The one mentioned earlier that was an electric cord was 400 foot pounds. I think most air tools are in the 300-600 range depending on what you buy. T

You missed the mark with this info, the Milwaukee 2767-20 does not have 1400 ft.lb of torque in any direction, that is "nut busting torque" a conjured up number used for advertising purposes and totally meaningless in real use.
Many air guns are far more powerful than any cordless and are lighter but there is another point being missed here and that is how they make the power to remove fasteners.

Most air guns used in the automotive field are twin hammer (some smaller format guns may use a large single hammer), this is effectively the mechanism that loosens the fastener not so much the actual torque, this is much safer than high torque as it "rattles the fastener loose not just tries to twist it out with brute force.
Most electric impact guns be it cord or cordless use a pin clutch type impact mechanism, this delivers maximum torque right from the start, this is how they make their power.

Large cordless impacts are much more likely to tear the threads out of alloys or shear the bolt off where the hammer mechanism will have a much better chance of actually loosening it. For this reason mid size cordless impacts are more desirable for most light automotive work. Personally I don't own any large electric impacts and probably never will, I have tried them and found them almost useless, heavy, bulky and not as reliable at rusted fastener removal as an air impact.
Air impacts are very controllable and easy to work with for extended periods. but they are not the only tool.

I love the mid size cordless impact gun, I actually use it more than the air impact for most jobs but when you need the power the big air gun is always there.
There are tools that are either exclusive to air or run best with air, cutoff wheels, high speed angle grinders, needle scalers, air riveters, panel flangers, air sanders and DA, etc, etc.
Don't look at one type of tool be it cordless, corded or air powered as being better than the other, all have their place. I look at my cordless tools as a great addition to my tools.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Used to be pro air compressor and still am for the most part, but after receiving many dewalt tools and oversized batteries for Christmas, an electric impact sounds nice. It can be taken to junkyards or simply used where getting compressed air isn't possible. Sounds like a win win IMO. Power wise, how would a 1/2" electric impact compare to my Aircat 1150 powered by an 18.1 CFM compressor, I have no idea, but ideally one would be there if the other can't do it.

I've had my "first gen" 20v batteries ever since they came out and as far as I can tell, they're still as good as new.

According to the Aircat specs, the 1150 is 1300 foot pounds. I suppose you could try matching it up to the 2767 and see how it comes out. There are some videos out there that test that 1400 foot pounds of the 2767 loosening torque and it appears to be a true. I just have a very specific purpose for mine, the anode rod on a water heater. Not going to drag a compressor into the basement. We'll see how it goes.

For years, I worked on diesel generator sets out in the field. I didnt have the luxury of compressed air and cordless impacts had not been invented yet. My first one was some Snap On 14.4 volt with 3/8 drive. It was sad.
I did 99% of my work with hand tools and just never got used to using air tools.
NOW, I have a 1/2 inch drive Milwaukee Fuel and I love it. I was at my familys shop the other day and my dad has one in 3/4 inch with some huge battery on it and that thing is a beast. He also has a Makita 120v 3/4 drive impact or over 25 years. We used to bust that thing out when nothing else would do.

The job Ive done since 2003 had three Carrier Chillers that had to have the heads pulled every winter to punch the tubes. We wore out our air impacts and the hoses were all beat because we had like 16 guys in the crew and most of them had no idea how to take care of equipment. I had just seen the Milwaukee fuel stuff when it was time to shop for new tools so we bought three of em. Now we can have three guys working at once and they handled it just fine.

I also really like the Milwaukee angle grinder. I have a really nice compressor but Ill probably just use it for paint and tires.

I needed a powerful impact to use remotely, the battery jobs were too expensive, since I had a good little generator I got a corded impact and it did the job. I don't think 2 batterys would have lasted, as long as the generator does in the field.
Maybe for going to a junk yard batterys are okay, or small ratchets etc for auto techs, but to hammer off tough stuff, air is best.

Originally Posted by NYEngineer
The job Ive done since 2003 had three Carrier Chillers that had to have the heads pulled every winter to punch the tubes. We wore out our air impacts and the hoses were all beat because we had like 16 guys in the crew and most of them had no idea how to take care of equipment. I had just seen the Milwaukee fuel stuff when it was time to shop for new tools so we bought three of em. Now we can have three guys working at once and they handled it just fine.

Are you a Carrier guy? Maybe out of the Clifton office? Just curious.

Originally Posted by Zaedock
Originally Posted by NYEngineer

Are you a Carrier guy? Maybe out of the Clifton office? Just curious.

No. Im a Local 94 Operating Engineer. My title is Critical Systems Engineer. I was in charge of the generators, UPS and switchgear for a big corporate office and news network. I used to assist the crew with the chiller heads since I had a lot of experience with big heavy stuff.
Last year, I made a decision to stay with the building when the company I worked for since 03 moved to a new location and had to take the FDNY chiller operators license test in order to continue working. So, No... Not a Carrier guy but I am friends with a few of them out of Manhattan.

According to the Aircat specs, the 1150 is 1300 foot pounds. I suppose you could try matching it up to the 2767 and see how it comes out. There are some videos out there that test that 1400 foot pounds of the 2767 loosening torque and it appears to be a true. I just have a very specific purpose for mine, the anode rod on a water heater. Not going to drag a compressor into the basement. We'll see how it goes.

Is the anode rod torqued down very tight?

IMO even a weak 1/2" impact should not have a problem with an anode rod. If it does, an 18" breaker bar will do it as long as you have someone hold onto the tank. Or apply a 2 lb hammer to the breaker bar and it will loosen easily.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by RyanY

IMO even a weak 1/2" impact should not have a problem with an anode rod. If it does, an 18" breaker bar will do it as long as you have someone hold onto the tank. Or apply a 2 lb hammer to the breaker bar and it will loosen easily.

After 5-6 years, they pretty much don't budge. Out of 8, only 4 moved on the 18" breaker bar. The other 4 needed a 3 foot pipe and two guys on it with one guy holding the tank and that's with using Kroil on the nut. That works out to about needing 600 foot pounds so the 1400 with just one guy should do it.

Originally Posted by Trav
You guys don't mention torque. I think the Milwaukee 2767-20 does 1400 foot pounds of torque in reverse. The one mentioned earlier that was an electric cord was 400 foot pounds. I think most air tools are in the 300-600 range depending on what you buy. T

You missed the mark with this info, the Milwaukee 2767-20 does not have 1400 ft.lb of torque in any direction, that is "nut busting torque" a conjured up number used for advertising purposes and totally meaningless in real use.
Many air guns are far more powerful than any cordless and are lighter but there is another point being missed here and that is how they make the power to remove fasteners.

Most air guns used in the automotive field are twin hammer (some smaller format guns may use a large single hammer), this is effectively the mechanism that loosens the fastener not so much the actual torque, this is much safer than high torque as it "rattles the fastener loose not just tries to twist it out with brute force.
Most electric impact guns be it cord or cordless use a pin clutch type impact mechanism, this delivers maximum torque right from the start, this is how they make their power.

Large cordless impacts are much more likely to tear the threads out of alloys or shear the bolt off where the hammer mechanism will have a much better chance of actually loosening it. For this reason mid size cordless impacts are more desirable for most light automotive work. Personally I don't own any large electric impacts and probably never will, I have tried them and found them almost useless, heavy, bulky and not as reliable at rusted fastener removal as an air impact.
Air impacts are very controllable and easy to work with for extended periods. but they are not the only tool.

I love the mid size cordless impact gun, I actually use it more than the air impact for most jobs but when you need the power the big air gun is always there.
There are tools that are either exclusive to air or run best with air, cutoff wheels, high speed angle grinders, needle scalers, air riveters, panel flangers, air sanders and DA, etc, etc.
Don't look at one type of tool be it cordless, corded or air powered as being better than the other, all have their place. I look at my cordless tools as a great addition to my tools.

Interesting-
Are you saying the air in the air impact driver is acting initially somewhat as a shock absorber due to its compressibility and longer time to build up pressure to deliver impact blows vs instantaneous impact from a big cordless?

Back